Around The Borbon Municipal Hall
Another unassuming, not-too-often-heard little town, though I heard this is a big one in total land area. Ah, like at Tabogon, I liked walking around this peaceful poblacion.
Teka trivia muna. I like pronouncing that word or name Borbon in various ways. It is such a mouthfeel! You can say it in Cebuano, English, Spanish or French (Bourbon)!
Trivia pa more:
I read somewhere on FB that there are 2 contending "legends" on how this town got its name Borbon. One claim says: "that it was named after Casa de Borbón in Spain".
The other claim says: "no no no no no, it was named after a lumad (native) Cebuano word Bonbon meaning pebbly beach, mis-pronounced by the Spaniards into Borbón".
Hmm, interesting! Is/Was Bonbon a lumad (native) Cebuano word? Was it, really? Did anyone check the etymology of the Cebuano (Binisaya) 'bonbon'? Baka Spanish yan!
Adto na nabaligtad na hahaha! Was "bonbon" already a Cebuano word before Spain came? Because the Spanish Borbón mean pebbly as in Isla Borbón = Pebble Island.
So, it is looking like by whatever "legend", the name Borbon comes from "pebbles"!
Anyway, I got off right across the rather tiny municipal building along the highway.Too eerily silent place (Sunday kasi). I only walked to the center of that plaza when I saw this manong walking towards the building. I tried talking to him, hindi sumagot! Oh yes, dinedma ako hehe! So, I stood in the middle of that plaza for a moment, just looking around. I didn't step any further. Baka bawal, dinedma ako e! O baka me iro!
I suspected though, there probably are more buildings at the back, that house many other municipal offices - since that one seems to be 'too tiny' for today's LGU needs.
I also deduced that back there must already be the waterline (Camotes Sea) since I could see a mangrove forest of sorts. Greeny good! This poblacion has many trees.
Thus, I walked back to the highway, knowing my next-to-see place was the church.Can you see that church? Up there, a little on higher ground via that ascending road.
Oh, let me describe this intersection:
The big road on foreground is the 'provincial road'. Cebu City is about 70 kilometers to the left; Tabogon - where I earlier came from - is some 20 kilometers to the right.
Dyan sa tapat ako bumaba, as my bus came from right (Tabogon) going to the left.
I was standing in front of their Borbon Municipal Hall's entrance gate, which should be their local KM0 (kilometer zero), although I did not see any marker in this vicinity.
That road slanting up is Mangubat St., going to the church grounds. But, before we go there, note at right is a Rizal Monument (w/ Philippine Flag) and a mini-fountain.
That perpendicular street - left edge of photo, almost unseen - is Borbon Road, where the entrance of BNHS (Borbon National High School) is located. After that, if you turn right to Antigua St., you'll reach back of the church.
Still on that photo above, that house where the motorbike is parked is actually this:Their "Heritage Building" - probably parang museum - hindi ako sure, sarado eh hehe!
Ang bilib talaga ako, is this old and rare wrought iron fence of the heritage building:Look closely (you can click & zoom the photo), those are the same material of iron bars, made into letters, to spell the benefactor or sponsor names. Aba mahirap yan!
And to think they look old, therefore made many years ago, when there were no fine tools or machines yet, for bending very short pieces of iron bars. Grabe, hanga ako!
'Di kaya ng pliers or long-nose yan hehehe!
Even nowadays, the common practice is: me pader (hollow blocks, pina-palitadahan lang ng semento) pipinturahan ng "Donated By", di ba?! That fence is worth keeping.
Anyway, a few steps to the right is the church.
But let's talk about that in my next story!
Teka trivia muna. I like pronouncing that word or name Borbon in various ways. It is such a mouthfeel! You can say it in Cebuano, English, Spanish or French (Bourbon)!
Trivia pa more:
I read somewhere on FB that there are 2 contending "legends" on how this town got its name Borbon. One claim says: "that it was named after Casa de Borbón in Spain".
The other claim says: "no no no no no, it was named after a lumad (native) Cebuano word Bonbon meaning pebbly beach, mis-pronounced by the Spaniards into Borbón".
Hmm, interesting! Is/Was Bonbon a lumad (native) Cebuano word? Was it, really? Did anyone check the etymology of the Cebuano (Binisaya) 'bonbon'? Baka Spanish yan!
Adto na nabaligtad na hahaha! Was "bonbon" already a Cebuano word before Spain came? Because the Spanish Borbón mean pebbly as in Isla Borbón = Pebble Island.
So, it is looking like by whatever "legend", the name Borbon comes from "pebbles"!
Anyway, I got off right across the rather tiny municipal building along the highway.Too eerily silent place (Sunday kasi). I only walked to the center of that plaza when I saw this manong walking towards the building. I tried talking to him, hindi sumagot! Oh yes, dinedma ako hehe! So, I stood in the middle of that plaza for a moment, just looking around. I didn't step any further. Baka bawal, dinedma ako e! O baka me iro!
I suspected though, there probably are more buildings at the back, that house many other municipal offices - since that one seems to be 'too tiny' for today's LGU needs.
I also deduced that back there must already be the waterline (Camotes Sea) since I could see a mangrove forest of sorts. Greeny good! This poblacion has many trees.
Thus, I walked back to the highway, knowing my next-to-see place was the church.Can you see that church? Up there, a little on higher ground via that ascending road.
Oh, let me describe this intersection:
The big road on foreground is the 'provincial road'. Cebu City is about 70 kilometers to the left; Tabogon - where I earlier came from - is some 20 kilometers to the right.
Dyan sa tapat ako bumaba, as my bus came from right (Tabogon) going to the left.
I was standing in front of their Borbon Municipal Hall's entrance gate, which should be their local KM0 (kilometer zero), although I did not see any marker in this vicinity.
That road slanting up is Mangubat St., going to the church grounds. But, before we go there, note at right is a Rizal Monument (w/ Philippine Flag) and a mini-fountain.
That perpendicular street - left edge of photo, almost unseen - is Borbon Road, where the entrance of BNHS (Borbon National High School) is located. After that, if you turn right to Antigua St., you'll reach back of the church.
Still on that photo above, that house where the motorbike is parked is actually this:Their "Heritage Building" - probably parang museum - hindi ako sure, sarado eh hehe!
Ang bilib talaga ako, is this old and rare wrought iron fence of the heritage building:Look closely (you can click & zoom the photo), those are the same material of iron bars, made into letters, to spell the benefactor or sponsor names. Aba mahirap yan!
And to think they look old, therefore made many years ago, when there were no fine tools or machines yet, for bending very short pieces of iron bars. Grabe, hanga ako!
'Di kaya ng pliers or long-nose yan hehehe!
Even nowadays, the common practice is: me pader (hollow blocks, pina-palitadahan lang ng semento) pipinturahan ng "Donated By", di ba?! That fence is worth keeping.
Anyway, a few steps to the right is the church.
But let's talk about that in my next story!
#CentralVisayas #TravelPhilippines #BorbonCebu
Comments
Post a Comment