Tabogon Church

Okay alright fellow roamers, still in Tabogon, I asked that Manong Ceres Dispatcher, where is the Catholic Church of this town. He said on the next block seaward (east).

So I walked to this church, which took me probably just 4 or 5 minutes to find.
All I could say was "wow"! An interesting-looking church - not very old, not very new!

The 9AM Sunday Mass had just begun. Inabot ko pa ang entrance ng pari, so I froze on the road, to not distract anyone. I even initially thought of going away and to just come back after the service. But a better idea prevailed - why not magsimba na rin?

Yun! Panalo, win-win situation. No need to hurry home para mag-simba sa Lacion!
Good decision. I got to see the insides of this church, while attending Sunday Mass!

I liked the atmosphere inside. It's cool. I mean the 'cool' that means 'hindi mainit' ha? Not the colloquial cool that means hip, stylish, astig or petmalu hehe! Pero pwede rin!

I'll say it's definitely because of the iron grills on the sides, instead of a makalumang wall made of hollow blocks and semento. Maaliwalas pa. Plus, me electric fans din.

Oist shhh, ay'g saba, while nag-yawyaw si padre sa iyang sermon, I went out to take the photo below. Kay, if I did that after the mass, daghan taw di gnahan ma-kodakan!

Mao na diha!

Ah, as I said: not too old, yet not too new. But an interesting-looking edifice. Kakaiba.
That's the San Isidro Labrador Parish Church of Tabogon, Cebu. You may have read or heard some accounts that say "since 1851". That's true, but needs to be clarified.

Clarified or qualified, especially to curious tourists like me, who already know how to tell the 'probable age' of a structure. In my case, I doubted "1851", so I asked around.

Thanks to my very reliable sources, I learned something new again: the difference of a "parish" and a "church". Church = building / structure; Parish = community / group.

Parang Barangay and Barangay Hall!

So, in my asking around, I found out that, the Parish of Tabogon was established in June 16, 1851 confirmed by a diocesan decree on August 6, 1851. Take note: Parish.

Where was the church of that parish? Not that one above, hindi yan at wala dyan sa lugar na yan! It is/was 3kms south of this present poblacion, at Brgy. DaanTabogon.

Kaya nga tinawag na "Daantabogon" kay mao to ang original settlement. Ganun yun!

That original church in Daantabogon was big, made of bricks & stone daw, including their rectory and the bellfry. Meron pa nga daw two school buildings (1 boys, 1 girls).

Kaya pala, when I was looking at that church (above), I said old but not very old, kasi duda na nga ako sa 1851. It was constructed in 1954. So it is new but not very new!

Aba 60 years old na rin yan oi! About the same time as when the old Balay Lungsod was also constructed. Therefore, 1950s ang kasagsagan ng pag-lipat poblacion nila!

Nice to know, di ba?

Okay, let's go elsewhere.
#CentralVisayas #TravelPhilippines #CebuProvince

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enchanted River, Hinatuan

Beware of JAM / Tritran Bus

Seaside Dampa, Macapagal Boulevard