Jose Karlo's Coffee
This is still that coffee joint across the church on Tacloban's Juan Luna Street.
I said I'll be back, so I came back! To grab something other than coffee and to shoot photos, as promised to some of you my dear readers - masunurin akong bata e hehe!
Actually, I was here yesterday for a meeting, before I strolled the 'about 250 meters' to Hotel Alejandro for another meetup. But I shot only 1 pic at Jose Karlo's. Busy eh.
Today, even before I ordered, I started taking pics of this aliw eclectic coffee shop.
This is what you directly face as soon as you enter the glass door (entrance):More tables after that graffiti wall. Stairs to a spacious 2nd floor area is also in there.
Still by the entrance door, this would be to your left.Halata naman di ba? This is/was a nice home, converted to a coffee shop. But, they retained the many residential abubots and cheche-bureche of the family. Impressive!
Well I don't know with your tastes, basta ako, I find them fascinatingly entertaining.
A bit to the right, beside that door with a TV above, is the business side of the café.I said business side since that's where you order everything you want to eat or drink.
Everywhere else is, as if you're in the old house of your abuela, where you can make hilata, or tinker with your gadgets, until forever - everything delivered in dainty trays!
Further to your right, while still at the door is the "front of the house" - sala kunohay!Hey, the blue chaise lounge chairs are comfy wide, kasya dalawang payatot like me!
Those are magazine racks at the wall - akala ko at first eh bread baskets hehehe!When I came, all dailies and the few magazines were being read by other customers. Vicky the supervisor told me, their magazines were soaked by rain and storm surge.
Oy she told me everyone is welcome to donate their old magazines - for the reading pleasure of patrons. I said I will! Oh, I also saw a few from humanitarian aid groups.
By the way, the place is air-conditioned naman, but you will notice there are electric fans at various strategic positions. Apparently di pa kaya ng power - most especially for the (humanitarian staff) foreigners from colder climes, who frequent this place.
Look at the floor, me mosquito/insect killer pang nalalaman. The works!
Aw, btw too, the front wall is all glass again. It's a great perch for people watching! Who do you see here while people watching? Ah, construction workers repairing the Sto. Nino Church; church-goers (even at noon and even when theres no mass service).
Hey, look at that concave-roofed structure inside the church fence. That's one of the temporary shelters I noted 2 weeks ago. They were provided by Tzu Chi Foundation.
Okay back to Jose Karlo's... this was my perch - where I took the 2 photos above.Di ba ang comfy, ang cozy? If I get to join a relief group, I'll make this my tambayan!
Aw, I have more photos! Still at the entrance door, look up and you see this:That's actually the upper portion of the first picture above (at the start of this article). You'll notice the graffiti starts up that wall. Plus uniquely, written mismo on the wall!
And permanently. I mean it is a permanent concrete wall, permanent paint, and you use permanent ink. So better be sure of what you're going to write there, if you dare.
Let's go up, because you must - to see many little mementoes that adorn the stairs. I am guessing, some of those lovely artworks are of/by one of the family members.
And by the way, the CR is up at that mezzanine-like area!
Tables at the spacious upstairs are better for 'real dining' or even group huddles. Of course, with a "loftside" view of downstairs and those who enter - if you want to!
So that's it pusit!
My 3rd or 4th time here but I'm sure this won't be last. Gagawing tambayan nga di ba?
I said I'll be back, so I came back! To grab something other than coffee and to shoot photos, as promised to some of you my dear readers - masunurin akong bata e hehe!
Actually, I was here yesterday for a meeting, before I strolled the 'about 250 meters' to Hotel Alejandro for another meetup. But I shot only 1 pic at Jose Karlo's. Busy eh.
Today, even before I ordered, I started taking pics of this aliw eclectic coffee shop.
This is what you directly face as soon as you enter the glass door (entrance):More tables after that graffiti wall. Stairs to a spacious 2nd floor area is also in there.
Still by the entrance door, this would be to your left.Halata naman di ba? This is/was a nice home, converted to a coffee shop. But, they retained the many residential abubots and cheche-bureche of the family. Impressive!
Well I don't know with your tastes, basta ako, I find them fascinatingly entertaining.
A bit to the right, beside that door with a TV above, is the business side of the café.I said business side since that's where you order everything you want to eat or drink.
Everywhere else is, as if you're in the old house of your abuela, where you can make hilata, or tinker with your gadgets, until forever - everything delivered in dainty trays!
Further to your right, while still at the door is the "front of the house" - sala kunohay!Hey, the blue chaise lounge chairs are comfy wide, kasya dalawang payatot like me!
Those are magazine racks at the wall - akala ko at first eh bread baskets hehehe!When I came, all dailies and the few magazines were being read by other customers. Vicky the supervisor told me, their magazines were soaked by rain and storm surge.
Oy she told me everyone is welcome to donate their old magazines - for the reading pleasure of patrons. I said I will! Oh, I also saw a few from humanitarian aid groups.
By the way, the place is air-conditioned naman, but you will notice there are electric fans at various strategic positions. Apparently di pa kaya ng power - most especially for the (humanitarian staff) foreigners from colder climes, who frequent this place.
Look at the floor, me mosquito/insect killer pang nalalaman. The works!
Aw, btw too, the front wall is all glass again. It's a great perch for people watching! Who do you see here while people watching? Ah, construction workers repairing the Sto. Nino Church; church-goers (even at noon and even when theres no mass service).
Hey, look at that concave-roofed structure inside the church fence. That's one of the temporary shelters I noted 2 weeks ago. They were provided by Tzu Chi Foundation.
Okay back to Jose Karlo's... this was my perch - where I took the 2 photos above.Di ba ang comfy, ang cozy? If I get to join a relief group, I'll make this my tambayan!
Aw, I have more photos! Still at the entrance door, look up and you see this:That's actually the upper portion of the first picture above (at the start of this article). You'll notice the graffiti starts up that wall. Plus uniquely, written mismo on the wall!
And permanently. I mean it is a permanent concrete wall, permanent paint, and you use permanent ink. So better be sure of what you're going to write there, if you dare.
Let's go up, because you must - to see many little mementoes that adorn the stairs. I am guessing, some of those lovely artworks are of/by one of the family members.
And by the way, the CR is up at that mezzanine-like area!
Tables at the spacious upstairs are better for 'real dining' or even group huddles. Of course, with a "loftside" view of downstairs and those who enter - if you want to!
So that's it pusit!
My 3rd or 4th time here but I'm sure this won't be last. Gagawing tambayan nga di ba?
#EasternVisayas #TravelPhilippines #Tacloban
Comments
Post a Comment