Marvin’s Seaside Inn, Naval

This is not at center of town. But I had nothing to do at the very center of Naval, Biliran anyway! Plus, it being my first time to Naval - where I didn't know anyone (so I thought) - I had to rely on info I got from web sources (although few). This place was most recommended anyway, so I went for it! That simple!
Oh, I often do this when information is bleak – I called this place up (while I was still in Ormoc), not to get a room, but just ask a few questions. I "listen" for "attitude" to help me decide! It worked this time!

I compared all information gathered about accommodations in Naval, then I decided Marvin's was for me! Mind you, this place has no restaurant, the kind you would expect from most hotels. But I learned they cook food for guests! That was important for me. Why? Because nga the place is far from center of town! I even liked this setup - cook only when someone wants to eat - not so much food is wasted!

What else did I know before I arrived? Ah, that this resort is by the water's edge but no beach. Similar to Sabin or Paras resorts where the owners have "maximized" their structures all the way to the water. I knew they have a swimming pool, plus, I learned they are also one of Naval's favorite event venues.

By the way, I was not staying at Marvin's to swim in their beach or pool. I was going to roam the whole island, remember? But those were welcome amenities - just in case wanted - for example when you're already bored / tired of roaming about town, or just plain and simple caught a time with nothing to do!

On arrival, I was not surprised to stumble upon the kind of set-up or service that they have. I expected almost all of them because I discerned things during my brief question-and-answer call earlier. Oh ha?

Now let me tell you what I encountered...

This resort is in a little barrio! It sits in a quiet village by the sea. There are not so many vehicle noises,
except for occasional trikes or habal-habals. I even liked it that the approach towards this village is via a wide expanse of ricefields. It's green everywhere you look! Marvin's is one of just three real buildings in the area – the rest are simple fishing village residences. Although, I saw one big old wooden house.

There is no front desk at Marvin's! I mean there is no such thing as a counter-top where receptionists stand awaiting to serve you. At this inn, it's just a small glass-top table with old pictures of the owner's family. But with just 23 rooms, who needs a real front desk, right? There is a computer, a telefax and the usual 'whatevers' of a small business office, which I think is more than enough. Just a cabinet away is already that dining table surrounded by the things you might need for meals. I think that is convenience enough! And the wifi thing is an added bonus!

Everybody, except the guard sleeps at night, and that is upstairs. All rooms are located from second level up. But the crews and wait staff do make a round of the guests for whatever else might be needed during those unholy hours. I remember being told to just get what I need in those counters by the dining table in case I needed to whip up a cup of coffee at midnight! And the fridge and other pantry supplies are just behind that wall via an open door. You'll just have to be honest enough to tell them the following day what you consumed that is not 'for free'!

While I said above that there is no restaurant, food has never been a problem during my entire stay at this place. It is actually ample. I just needed to know as to when I should ask for anything prior to 'when I wanted to have them' or 'actually need them'. Ah that dining table? I never got to use it ever! No I did not have my food delivered to my room (though a staff suggested that too). I always ate out in their open-air tables with a view of the sea or amidst the building grounds!

My room? Ideal! Room 3 is on the second floor of main building just above the lobby. While its window is to the street and overlooking the other side of Marvin's, the door is a step away from a verandah overlooking the sea! I like rooms that are not carpeted and I like rooms that don't have so many flowery or little shapes design. Just like this one. It calms the mind :)

Oh, did I say "the other side of Marvin's"? Yep, there is that, and it is across the street from the main building. That is where other rooms are, the swimming pools, and the bigger function areas for bigger events. Actually I don't know if they have a front-desk in this area. I still think none, and it does not matter anyway. When I checked this place out one morning, they were busy sprucing it up for a wedding reception. Nice!

That place where I said I preferred to eat whether day or night? Here:

That is where I took the sunset pictures.

Did you notice the children climbing over the fence in my sunset pictures? There is an interesting story to that, and it goes something like this...









was about Marvin's. So, this one gets into my list of wonderful finds!

Post a Comment

0 Comments