Marvelous Afternoon Flight Into Manila


I think I already said this in one of my stories (about 2,000 na btw, since 2005): that I'm not really a fan of arriving into MNL during 'rush hours'. Like many of you, I do still know what Metro Manila "trapik" is, during such times - mawawalan ka ng bait! Even if I permanently lived there for only 27 years hehehe!

This time however, I had no other choice but to fly-in during such dreaded hours, because of this thing called "kumikitang kabuhayan" also known as "work"! But if it was any consolation, my destination, for a few nights' stay, was just near the airport (MOA area), and I wasn't going home to Faaarview. So, go!

Okay, eto na.., I flew from Tacloban ETD:1515H, to Manila ETA:16:30H on a generally gloomy day...
Philippine skies during an afternoon flight to Manila
Just after takoff, I sensed something was unusually interesting in the sky. It was bursting with colors!

So I said "aba pwede"! I may as well savor this marvelous show, before I suffer in traffic after arrival!

When I looked out the window again, I saw Boracay. Wheh, was that possible? I looked again... it is!
beautiful island views from the air on an afternoon flight in the Philippines
How was that possible? I was flying from eastern Visayas (Tacloban), and Boracay is in the west. Did we fly westward? I wanted to ask cabin crew, but they were busy distributing food. Was that Boracay?

I thought I couldn't be wrong - as I'm familiar with this country's island shapes. So I checked my map for any island that may be shaped like Boaracay's. None. I checked for a plausible flight path. Pwede!
possible Philippine Airlines flight path from Tacloban to Manila
I was just guessing, but maybe our flight path today was something like the red line that I drew. Hmm, it is possible, but bordering on 'incredible' hehehe. Because, what I'm familiar with is like that blue line.

I looked down again.., studying the contours and white-sandy strip. I was convinced Boracay yan!
beautiful island views from the air on an afternoon flight in the Philippines
Then again, I debated within my royal self, if that's Boracay, why does it seem there's a runway running across the island? And why is the white sand not contiguous (dark cuts that seem like rivers)? Honga!

Argh OMG oo nga! What beautiful island is that nga, ha? Can angels and saints in heaven please hang big labels on them na parang google maps? Para mabasa ko, while the airplane is passing-by hehehe!

I was short of hollering "hoy kapitan, come here and describe everything to me" hahaha! But that's the beauty of traveling, how many times ever you pass by anything, if you open your eyes and mind, there will always be some things worth your while, to be awed and inpired, about this amazing archipelago!

Alright, so we got nearer to Metro Manila. Do you see anything worth noting down in this next picture?
marvelous cloud colors on an afternoon flight to Manila Philippines
Aside from the golden glow (since that's so normal to many of us that we take it for granted), see this:
Wind Farm in Pililla Rizal viewed from a Philippine Airlines flight
That is the same picture. I just "magnified" the "wind turbines" of that "Wind Farm" somewhere in Rizal Province (Pililla?). I haven't yet seen that place (from the ground) but I hope to do it one of these days. But, lucky I saw it from the air, even on a cloudy day! Like other wind farms, it's a tourist attraction too!

I could not however ignore the clouds in the afternoon sky, being painted in different hues by the sun.
amazing sunset colors in the sky during landing into Manila
Some rain clouds remain dark, others are still fluffy whites, yet others more become orange and gold.

I could see that we were already passing above the Laguna Lake. What a mesmerizing view...
amazing sunset colors over Laguna Lake during landing into Manila
I realized, by avoiding afternoon touchdowns in MNL, I've been missing out on such marvelous views.

I could recognize the South Superhighway from far up above. But nice to also see the places beyond...
Metro Manila from the sky, during an afternoon landing
This reminded me again, that many things in the metropolis have already changed for the better, and I haven't seen them yet. Maybe it's time to update my self. Like, I think I haven't even seen C-6 Road yet!

And hey, my destination on this trip, Microtel MOA, was not yet there when I last visited the area!

But the afternoon sky would not easily fade from my consciousness. It was too fantastically colorful!
fantastic sunset colors during landing into metro manila

Until we descended into the smoggy hazy cover of Metro Manila and its nearby provinces...
fantastic sunset colors during landing into metro manila

I shot a short video clip as we approached to land at MNL / RPLL Runway 06.

Whoah! Even MNL's Terminal 3 looked somehow new to me hehehe. As if I landed unto a new city!
NAIA Terminal 3

I may have been away for already too long now! So I welcomed my probinsyano self back to... reality!
NAIA Terminal 3

Reality nga.., pila sa taxi, noisy kapaligiran, nakasusulasok na amoy usok. Still marvelous!

Hello children!
===

Post a Comment

0 Comments