Sentosa On A New Year's Day

New Year! And I dared visit Sentosa Island, even if I know that I'm not good at waiting in long lines nor walking amid crowded places. Tapos hello, this was the first day of the year, therefore a public holiday in the whole planet, natural sankaterba sandamukal ang magiging visitors dito, right? But a friend who lives in Singapore begged that I go with him, kesyo he hasn't seen the SEA Aquarium yet, and this was his only free time. Pakipot muna, then I said "sige na nga" - eh di ko pa rin nakita ang aquarium na yan!

Syempre libre ako sa ticket (booked online), and the agreement was we should already be at Vivo City by 7AM - first trip of the Sentosa Express Train to the island. We must leave the hotel latest at 630AM.

Did that happen? Syempre no! eh at 2AM new year laklakan pa kami. I can't remember what time they left, tapos babalikan ako ng 630AM? Wheh, I woke up at 7AM, no one came yet to fetch me. I txtd, no reply, oh eh, nag-buffet breakfast ako! About 9AM, nag-txtback, hangover daw, masakit ulo, ipinadala yung email confirmation sakin, ako na lang daw mag-isa sumugod sa Sentosa, kung kaya ko! Animal!

But I am not Pinoy Traveler for nothing, di ba? Go Ra ang makakating paa! Ako pa! Sugoood!

So, eto na.., I walked to the MRT City Hall Station, took the Green Line (East-West Line - sanay ako dito, ito yung galing airport) to Outram Park Station (2 stations lang yata ang pagitan, 3rd Outram Park na). Then I took the Purple Line (North-East Line) papuntang Harbourfront Station (wala yatang station sa pagitan nila). Ayun Vivo City (mall) na, akyat papuntang 3rd floor, andun ang Sentosa Express (Train).

At 10:56AM, here I was, about to enter/ride the Sentosa Express at Vivo City going to the island.
Vivo City station of Sentosa Express Train
7AM pala ha? Kaya ayan, may hangover o wala, magdusa sa dami na ng tao papuntang isla! Bearable naman actually. It wasn't as packed as our MRT na nagdidikitdikit ang mga mukha kahit hindi holiday! Plus, this is just an 8-minute ride, there are even only two seats sa dulo. Parang sa Skytrain sa Changi.

There are 3 stations of Sentosa Express on the island. Most visitors get off on the 1st one (Waterfront Station) since it is the center of this island, where entrances to many attractions are just a stroll away. I followed the majority, as I knew this is also the best jump-off point in walking to the S.E.A. Aquarium.

From the train station (that's monorail actually), it is still about 300 meters to the S.E.A Aquarium, and there are free rides all over this place. But like many visitors I prefer walking (kung kaya naman), since there are many interesting things to see along the way. Note: it is wise to keep watch of time - it flies!

I had to keep reminding my self about my main purpose, the aquarium.., and nothing else!

It's hard to walk straight to the S.E.A Aquarium due to equally interesting distractions.., like these:
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Believe me, even if it's your nth time here, your mind will keep sayin "teka, tingin kaya muna ako doon"!

Di ka man lang ba tatayo kahit saglit to look at those dancing fountains? Ayun sa harap ng mga tao o!
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Beware if you have kids and you don't want them getting wet, yet! Most of them will run to the middle of those now-you-see-them-now-you-don't big jets of water. Ang problema mo mamey, they will even be encouraged by staff and other children! Yes, your shrieks of 'Baby no, later na' will permeate the air!

I heard that this time, and yes, Taglish! Ibig sabihin kababayan natin also on tour. Kaso, kakarating nyo lang.., madami pa kayong pupuntahan.., nagbasa nagtampisaw na si Baby mo hahaha! And that is not even part of anybody's destination. Daanan lang yan (parang sa Market Market). So, be alert, be ready!

Not a distraction na basta lilingon lang ang bata, mababasa mamey! Ang KJ mo naman kung pipigilan mo si Baby! At libre kaya yan, kalsada eh! Nagdala ka ba ng extra damit ng bata? Ha? Ilan? Naaliw ako manood sa isang mommy, stressed na stressed na, ehh they were just how many meters from arrival!

Sige lakad pa myself! Pero di ka man lang ba titingala at mag-kodak, sa dami ng mga lollipop na ito?
Candilicious at Sentosa Island, Singapore
Here is a cute trivia: come to think of it, there are more people who have their photos taken with those cute M&M Mascots by the door (tabi ng puno, sa baba, putol nga lang ang kodak ko)! Sana si Jollibee!

Ito ang laging crowded. That famous Universal Studios globe na umiikot. Pero, sige lakad pa..,
Universal Studios at Sentosa Island, Singapore
I avoided that globe this time. If you scrutinize the picture, grabe ang dami na nang tao doon, actually.

To my left, nadaanan din, Hard Rock Café sa Hard Rock Hotel. But I kept walking towards the sea..,
Hard Rock Cafe at Hardrock Hotel in Sentosa Island, Singapore
More trivia: aside from the common knowledge that Filipino bands perform at that Hardrock Café, in that hotel, aba, marami din ang Pinoy staff na matataas ang position! Go lang ng Go mga kababayan!

And I reached my walk's destination. Let's talk about that place more extensively in my next story!
The Maritime Experiential Museum and S.E.A. Aquarium at Sentosa Island, Singapore
But I needed to do something first, so I went to that area at right.., those reddish / brownish pillars.

This is where I needed to do something! Middle bench is a smoking area - with very good views too!
Sentosa Island, Singapore
But before the wondrous views, I was already wondering about those white posts standing beside the palm trees. Look, electric fans are hanging from each of them. Yes, I marveled what could they be for.

Electric fans to blow and cool the air? Probably in summer where it is hot & humid in Southeast Asia? Why here, by a garden with lots of trees? I haven't even seen such 'outdoor installations' at city center!

I have seen mist-sprayers at buildings particularly in commercial areas where there are outdoor cafes. But not (yet) to the extent of having 'industrial grade' fans in a garden by the seaside. Hmmm, curious!

And there's another thing that also got me curious. That area beyond, behind and including that brown structure looked familiar. It felt like I've been there sometime ago. So, I went to peep and check it out.

Oh, the Crane Dance Animatronics Show! Yes, I've watched this hi-tech water, light and sound show!
I just didn't expect it looks that way during the day - like a big pile of junk! Yep, the concrete stage that seems to float on water has two giant steel "cranes" many feet tall. The 'lovers' - pink and blue cranes!

Crane Dance is an awesome nightly free show using animatronics, light, water and sounds - plus giant TV screens on their 'chests' - to portray a love story. Where I stood to take that photo is the view area.

Anyway.., this is one of the interesting views back at the promenade / smoking area pictured above..,
Harbourfront as viewed from Sentosa Island, Singapore
That big boat is one of the Star Cruises luxury liners. Oh, needless to say, that area there should be the Singapore Cruise Center on Harbourfront. And that would be the Harbourfront Centre at the back. Ah I now remember, that pier is where the ferries for Batam Island destinations depart from/arrive at. Ahh!

Vivo City is to the right (not seen in the picture). But do you see the cable cars seemingly floating with the clouds at left? I can count 12 of them in the picture. That's one other cool way of entering Sentosa Island. But you don't go to Vivo City for that. It starts at Faber Peak. Kung ayaw mo mag-taxi, sasakay ka pa ng bus tapos maglalakad paakyat ng bundok - that is the reason why I haven't tried that ride yet.

Anyway, do you see that reddish-brownish structure at left? Hindi yan gawa ng DPWH, promise! That's part of the dome-roof of the museum I was visiting. So I went there after the yosi-break and the views!

Teka teka.., museum ba o aquarium? Yun ang palaisipan!

Tara, let's go there! In my next story, that is...!

Post a Comment

0 Comments