Transit In Singapore: Free Tour

"Transit" (in airline industry) means "connecting flights at" or "passing by". Ganun lang yun! So..,
Transfer Lounge F at Singapore Changi Airport
I transited in Singapore for about 15 hours and I (officially) did not even get out of the airport. Why am I writing about it here, in this blog? Oh, I didn't know, that not many Pinoys do this, because they do not even know this travel option. Frankly, I did not think this story is/was worth sharing on this blog, until I heard surprised family and friends, reacting to what I was doing, as I told them 'live' via fb group chat!

Here's the story...

About 4:30PM yesterday, I arrived (here) in Singapore from Cebu via a Tiger Airways flight. My onward flight, Singapore to Denpasar (Bali) is at 7:15AM today (it's 5:30AM now as I write this over breakfast).

With a very early departure today, I didn't think it was practical if (upon arrival yesterday), I still went to the city center, check-in at a hotel, only to rise very early and hurry back to this airport at dawn. Di ba?

Instead, I slept here, at Changi Airport! Eto, kakagising ko lang, AND my boarding gate for the flight to Bali is just some leisurely steps away! Oh, I already took a bath. Yes, naligo na. FRESH na ako! Puede!

But what did I do since yesterday?

The first thing I did upon arrival at this airport (Changi) yesterday was, visit the nearest smoking room! That's what I always do, whether I'm landing into (entering) the city or just transiting. Yep, even before going through immigration formalities. Why? Because the "many" smoking rooms are accessible from anywhere in this airport! I'm serious, wherever you are, there is always a nearby smoking room or area!

I interpret that as: that is how caring Singapore is, to ALL human beings! Yes they have very strict laws about smoking, BUT, they amply provide space for those who can't or won't stop (just yet)! Not only at this airport but all over the island/country. Philippine authorities should learn from this. In my dreams!

Just for that, it is already obvious why I love Singapore!

Next I did? I went to the Transfer Desk (picture above) so I could already get the boarding pass for my flight to DPS (that's the 3-letter airport code for Denpasar City, capital of Bali), even if that connecting flight was/is still on the following day (that is today na!) - although just about 15hrs away from arrival.

Ah, FYI, for the air travel industry (in cooperation with governments of the world), "transit" is normally interpreted as connecting flights at an airport without entering the city/country WITHIN 24 hours, and no visa will be required of the passenger. This didn't really matter as we Pinoys don't need visas to SG.

But I still "fit" into the meaning of "transit" in Singapore, right? That means I can stay inside the airport without "landing". Landing as used here btw, is an immigration term meaning to go inside the country.

Now back to the transfer desk. My activity there was actually to check-in to my SIN-DPS flight na, even if 15hrs away pa, and technically 'overnight'. That way, I could stay in the pre-departure area overnight! Was that an advantage? Yes! Kasi malayo ang city, mahal ang hotel, tapos ang aga ng flight ko today!

So, ano tunganga brigade na for 15 hours? No way! Sa Changi Airport, they have everything! Eto..,

Then, I went to join the FREE Singapore Tour! Me ganun? Yes na yes! A worthwhile, engaging, amazing and fun way to fight the boredom of a transit passenger! Shh, am not sure now, but I think this was the 3rd or 4th time na, that I have been joining this tour (when there is an opportunity as transit), since the 1990s! And yes, as said above, I did not realize, not many Pinoys know na pwede/meron ganito sa SG!

This time, I opted for the 'City Sights' - yes there are options (tatlo yata). This one is about three hours of sightseeing the central area (CBD), on a tourist bus, with a tour guide, ALL FOR FREE! Saan ka pa?!
free singapore tour at at Singapore Changi Airport
O eh.., di pumasok din pala ako ng Singapore? Mismo! Exactly! And that is the reason why I kept using the words "technically" and "officially", because, per Immigration records, "I did not enter" Singapore. I think their legal term for it is: "not officially landed into Singapore" [though I was physically allowed to]!

Hindi lang 'allowed to', in a FREE airconditioned bus na, with matching English-speaking tour guide pa!

The best part: I wasn't bored with my 15-hour transit, because, I toured a good part of the city for free - courtesy of their government's Changi Airport, Singapore Tourism Board and Singapore Airlines. Diba?
How did it go? Simple lang like this..,
1. I went to the Registration Booth at 'Terminal 2' or 'T2' (there is also one at T3)
2. Showed my documents (passport, boarding passes on CEB-SIN and SIN-DPS)
3. Filled out an immigration card (D/E Card) that they gave to me
4. Tour guide herded us through Immigration clearance, and then...
5. Voila! We toured Singapore on an air-conditioned bus with English-speaking tour guide!

Okay alright.., here are some notes for you to remember or consider if you want to do this:

Item 1 above must be done BEFORE going to (reaching the) Immigration Counters. That is important for Pinoys and all other nationalities who are allowed, therefore can, enter Singapore without a visa.

If you don't do as above (register at the booth first), forget about this Free Singapore Tour. Goodbye ka na, wala na! Why is that? It is because, once you pass by, and done with immigration formalities, you'll be considered to have "officially landed" (entered) Singapore, therefore, you may not join this free tour.

Ganun talaga. Serious yan. Even if you go find the bus at its parking lot, you will still not be able to join the tour since you're not anymore a transit passenger. Ano, babalik ka sa counter before immigration? Hiyay! Sige subukin mo! Best option, go tour on your own, but it won't be this sosyal and for free. Beh!

This is an advantage for those nationalities who need visa to Singapore (like Indian, Russian, Chinese) cuz, if they go straight to immigration hahanapan sila ng visa. If found wala silang visa: pababalikin sa transit area AT ituturo pa yung booth! Eh tayo, no visa eh, pag dumaan ka sa immigration, pasok agad!

So, if you are in transit and want to avail of this Free Singapore Tour, remember Item 1.

Note: I have a related story on this, naka-join si Pinoy kahit "landed" na! But it's complicated, we better talk about that later na (below, if I still have time and space hehehe), or.., maybe in another blog entry!

On Item 2, yes you need to present 2 boarding passes: 1] "inbound" - in my case, the remaining stub of my CEB-SIN flight (so don't throw your used boarding passes); and 2] "outbound" - in my case, the one for my SIN-DPS flight). Staff will give you a sticker to be placed on your chest. You thus become part of a tour group - a busload! Now isn't that bright? A chance to socialize with fellow transit passengers!
identity sticker for free Singapore tour at at Singapore Changi Airport
Of all the times I joined this tour, like now, ako lang ang Pinoy! That is why I'm telling you now. Join na! If you are going to Middle East, Europe or Asia with connecting flights in Singapore. Pasyal na for free!

Another info: if you're transiting on the same airline (2 flights, same airline), they would usually already issue 2 boarding passes at point of origin (if you want). In my case, I could have done that in Cebu but I forgot to show my connecting ticket. Don't panic if you are like me who sometimes forget my name!

Just go to the "Transfer Counter" (aka "Transfer Desk") of your airline. International transfer counters are always before immigration. In my case, Tiger to Tiger connection, I went to "Transfer Lounge F" - hindi lang kasi basta counter or desk sa Changi Airport, as in me rest area din, kaya Transfer Lounge!

Important information: If you are transiting from one 'budget airline' to another 'budget airline', all of the above may not be possible, because most of them do not have transit/transfer privileges at this airport. Meaning you really have to "land", go up to the regular departure area and check-in like regular passengers do, out of Singapore. Therefore, hindi ka na nga transit, so no more Free Singapore Tour!

But on regular airlines, okay lang.

Item 3 is the same as those given during the flight. You can use it if you got one from the stewardess (although why would you have gotten one, eh transit ka nga 'no?!). Anyway, do not be surprised if they keep referring to this form as "D/E Card" - that only means "Disembarkation/Embarkation Card" or the equivalent of our "Arrival/Departure Card" or their country's "Immigration Card". Again, it's a "DE Card".

On Item 4, just follow the guide as he leads all of you as a group to the Immigration Counters. He may or may not point you to a particular officer who will process your 'temporary entry' into Singapore. You may even (on your own) line up at any available counter; an officer may even wave at you to approach his/her counter. It doesn't matter. Just have your documents ready - the 2 boarding passes, D/E Card, passport, AND the sticker on your chest. Watch also, where the guide waits for you after the counters.
going down the escalator to the arrival immigration at at Singapore Changi Airport
By the way, as with anywhere, you're not allowed to take photos at the immigration area. I took this pic while still on the escalator going down AND I don't know too, if even this is not allowed. You will know, as I will remove it, if/when they admonish me to take it down. 'Wag naman sana as this is informative!

Still on Item 4, do not be surprised that the immigration officer won't stamp anything in your passport. Dahil transit ka nga, transit, ano ba?! If they stamped it, then you will have been landed into Singapore!

I noticed they do stamp on the remaining portion of the D/E Card that is given back to you. Don't lose that remaining little piece of the card. You will need it when entering back to the airport after the tour.

On Item 5, this is important too: wring your own neck or slap your own face if your camera is 'lowbat'!

Now now now.., take a peek at how my Free Singapore Tour went..,
exiting the south car park at at Singapore Changi Airport
This was as the bus negotiated its way out of Changi's enormously wide parking area.

And the ride out of Changi is amidst tree-lined roads. These views are better seen from a bus..,
I've always taken the trains, so the greens are not as clear. These nice views are therefore 'new' to me!

Oh, here is a short video clip while we merrily went on our way..,

And then these.., as the bus went around popular sights...
the bus passes by Suntec Tower One on the free Singapore tour from Singapore Changi Airport

the bus passes by the fountain of wealth at suntec city on the free Singapore tour from Singapore Changi Airport



the free Singapore tour bus passing by Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Singapore

I took a long gaze at this building. Important that my room should face Marina Bay..,the Free Singapore Tour Bus passing by Marina Square with Swissotel the Stamford in the background

As we approached 'The Durian' (Esplanade Theatres on the Bay), tour guide announced that we would be getting off the bus for a walking tour of the Esplanade area. I'd be here on New Year's Day but gora!
the Free Singapore Tour Bus approaching the Esplanade

And stroll we did (as if I'm not coming to this place in a matter of a week)! Go lang ng go.., go ra!
walking by coffee bean and tea leaf at the esplanade gardens singapore

Some of my tourmates (busmates) roamed Marina Bay, even to as far as the Merlion area!
view of the merlion from the esplanade area in Singapore

As I said earlier, there are many of these, even at Marina Bay, which is a very public park. Basa nyo?!
clear and amply provided smoking areas at Esplanade Singapore

Our designated assembly point after the allotted time for exploring Marina bay..,
view of Marina Bay Sands from the Esplanade by the Bay area
Folks on the left and on extreme right are my busmates. Yun dalawang sexy nakaupo na naka shorts, mga kababayan natin yan who were also 'exploring' this place, having pictorials! Di ako nakapag-"hi"!

Back on the bus, we continued circling around Singapore's central business district (this was even on a 'rush hour'), looping towards Orchard Road (for a rolling view of Christmas decorations and displays of its malls and buildings), before going back to Changi. Those who wanted to get-off pwede iwanan!
Serious yan.., pwede pala magpa-iwan and you go on your own to the airport! The guide will just need to get your passenger details, ask and ensure you know your way, give suggestions or pointers if they think you're not very well-versed and that's it! Baba ka wherever you like, and bahala ka sa buhay mo!

I asked the tour guide how come they allow passengers to go on their own - which, to me looked like "jumping ship" especially those who come from countries that require visas. For an answer, the guide quoted one of their immigration bosses, who purportedly said "why not"! Naisip ko: "oo nga naman"!

Eh, they saw that you already have a boarding pass for that onward flight. Your face and details have already been recorded when you passed through immigration. Kung e-exit ka by land or sea, lahat me border control. Kung mag-TNT ka, ang dali mong hanapin - puro building at kahit saan yata me CCTV!

I like that outlook in life.., optimist. Unlike in our inang bayan "guilty ka unless proven otherwise"! Kaya ang daming patakaran na nagsasanga-sanga, yet, hindi maka-offer ng world-class na tourist services.

This is the Parc Royal on Pickering Building, famous for its architectural and eco-friendly innovation..,the free singapore tour bus passing by Parc Royale on upper pickering

Crossing the Coleman Bridge. Out there is Marina Bay Sands (where we came from)..,Marina Bay Sands in the distance seen from the free singapore tour bus while crossing coleman bridge

The old capitol, Stamford House, now a commercial place. There's going to be a new hotel in there.

Then we reached 'Orchard Turn', sa gitna ng 'Orchard Blvd' at 'Orchard Road', parallel silang lahat!the back road entrance of Ngee An City along Orchard Turn











Christmas lights adorn Orchard Road in front of Ion Orchard

Mandarin Gallery Orchard Road

busy evening on corner of Grange and Orchard roads







YMCA Singapore International House as seen from the free singapore tour bus along orchard road

back of the Good Shepherd Cathedral along Bras Basah corner Queen St. Singapore

side view of the facade of Good SHepherd Cathedral along Bras Basah Road corner Victoria St. Singapore

the WWII war memorial park on the corner of Bras Basah Road and Beach St. Singapore

adorned in Christmas Lights, the main entrance of Raffles Hotel Singapore

Singapore flyer and the famous domes of Gardens by the Bay - the Flower Dome and Cloud Forest

And it rained heavily on our way back to the airport. At least, tapos na ang sight-seeing!
I was back at the airport by 7:30PM! That meant 12hours to go! So, what did I do? Nothing much than window shopping, strolling around the three terminals of Changi. And you would probably know, this place has just about anything and everything, anytime of day, impossible to visit all in one whole day.

I'll tell about those many 'things to do and see at Changi' in my future blog entries as I keep transiting back and forth to other places via this airport! Oh, or this 'overnight stay' I had Bak-Kut-Teh for dinner (adik ako dyan)! I even had beer for a nightcap at a Harry's Bar, and slept at a comfy sleeping area of the airport (free)! Took a bath this morning (for a fee) but kasama na etong breakfast that I'm enjoying now! All that inside Changi Airport, not to mention free wifi! Oops, its time to go to my boarding gate.,

Catch my next story soon - tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

I should be in Bali by then! So, Selamat Natal!

Post a Comment

0 Comments