My Tiger Flight: Cebu To Singapore

== This story is a continuation (topic #6) of a travel article I shared earlier ==

This is the 'regular' (or real?) Tiger Air flight operating out of Singapore. Not Tigerair Philippines which was previously Southeast Asian Airlines (SEAIR) and not the Cebu Pacific joint service with SEAIR that has started to be called CebGo. These Low-Cost Carriers (LCCs) also known as Budget Airlines, keep evolving by the day, sometimes it gets confusing, even to people who frequently travel via airplanes.

So, I flew on a 'budget airline' (Tiger Air) from Cebu to Singapore. Not really a "budget fare" or low-cost flight, because, this one-way booking, Cebu to Singapore to Denpasar (Bali) was just the same cost if I flew from Manila to Denpasar. But okay lang, for the experience and for what I considered convenient!

My notes:
Boarding was fine. As usual and as common with low-cost air carriers from other countries, they hype up and publicly give extra attention to those who paid more for their seats. I was on row 14, therefore I got boarded ahead of the whole pack of passengers! That is how budget airlines now go about their businesses, right? Low fare, but everything else, like the choice seats, even water have to paid extra!

Once seated, I immediately noticed that this airline was/is the epitome of budget airline travel. I don't mean to adulate them here. What I'm trying to say is, the quality of my comfort and convenience nose dived to unexpectedly low levels just because of riding on a budget airline. Ganun pala yun! Nagtitipid, kaso ang epekto was "everything I touch, or attempt to touch, looked and/or felt yucky! I'm not joking!

Here is one example - but you will have to look closely to be able to grasp what I mean:
Look closely, the edges of the safety instruction card (tigersafety) is too worn. An indicator to me, that the card has been touched/handled by thousands of passenger hands! The same thing with all others in that heap (tigershop, tigerbites, tigertales). Ano ngayon? Ah-eh, hindi ko alam kung ako lang ba ang ganito ang pakiramdam.., pero para sa akin, pag gula-gulanit na, maduming-madumi na rin yon. Di ba?

Also look at the base-frame of the tray-table. Yep, the aluminum rod where the corner tip of 'tigertales' magazine touches. If you look at it closely, there are black spots, that I accidentally touched. Dirt! Dust and/or oil? Basta dumi sya na medyo basa! 'Di ko inamoy baka kung ano pa malaman ko! Yuck talaga!

One can say many reasons (I debated this in my head), but why don't I see these on Singapore Airlines or SilkAir? Both SilkAir and Tiger are owned by Singapore Airlines. Why is Tiger not as well-kept as the other two? I can only suspect, that in operating a budget airline, they have to sacrifice the impeccable quality, so that the airline can save more, therefore able to offer cheaper flights. Ganun! Oh how yucky!

Here is another example. The floor under the seat in front of me:
Yes, look at the green arrow in the photo. It points to a torn portion of the rug (or carpet, whatever it is called). Plus, the fact that the rug already comes in various shades of "fade"! Oh gosh, that means the interior of this aircraft needs serious attention. How about the exterior or the 'technical' parts? Jusko!

I could not help but ponder, do they even clean-up once passengers are out of this plane? Why didn't I see aircraft cleaners piling into the cabin when this plane arrived? Well, Tiger isn't alone in this aspect.

Pansin nyo? On budget airlines like Cebu Pacific, Air Asia and this one, we do not see those uniformed cleaners going in or out anymore, right? Hmm, "budget" nga eh! Kaya, mukhang mga gasgas at laspag na lahat ng kahit ano hehe! Sana sa interiors and amenities lang yan. 'Wag naman sana dun sa mga.... you know what I am trying to say, right? Simba ko, wag naman sana! Kulba! Ayoko pa, Lord please. Du!

Actually, a friend once told me, that cabin crew nowadays (at least on budget airlines) are required to do the cleaning of their cabin, once passengers disembark. Duh?! Only the 4 cabin staff have to clean the insides of this plane in a very short turn-around time? And they still have to make themselves look fresh before passengers start boarding? That sums it up, 'no?! The cleaning is therefore not thorough.

Nakababalisa..,

So, how did I / do I react to all he above? Nothing much than write about it. But, physically, I attempted to "freeze" myself - avoiding any movements, so I could lessen getting in contact with anything inside this plane on a 3-hour flight! Aw shocks, and I still have a connecting flight also on this airline. Ayieee!

I think I also even have more future flights (next week?) already book also on this airline. Argh!

Oh, also on this flight, I saw that a male cabin crew had that "modern" haircut with a very short shaven side; the top is long and like put in place with a ton of hairgel! And a female attendant had a 3-colored hairdo - 1) her original black; 2) blue; and 3) yellow. After looking at her 'totality', all I could think was, ano yan, cuckatoo? The standards have shifted obviously way deep down even on the human aspect.

The other budget airlines that run in/from the Philippines aren't like this. But maybe on the way there?

Oh well... Oh my...

Post a Comment

0 Comments