Lapinig Look-See

Lapinig is the southern-most town of Northern Samar province in its pacific coast. Going there was a kind of "bonus" destination during this joyride to the northern towns of Eastern Samar. Why? Because I didn't intend to go there, but it was just nearby from Arteche. So I said, why not and to Lapinig I went!

As you would remember from the previous story, I already excitedly crossed the boundary of the two provinces of Eastern and Northern Samar. Thus, I was already in Lapinig. But it still takes about half an hour to the town center, passing by a number of barrios, which, made this ride more educational!

There was "May-igot", the first barangay of Lapinig that sits in the boundary. Then there was "Mabini", a barangay with a stretch of beach that looks so inviting and has picturesque view of the pacific.

Then there is Brgy. Palanas that has an intersection with a road that "should" lead to Jipapad..,
directional signage to Jipapad at Brgy. Palanas, Lapinig, Northern Samar
Why did I say "should"? Ah, that intersecting road (at left) really goes all the way to Jipapad. But it isn't quite passable for 4-wheeled vehicles yet. Reason there is an arrow pointing right. We'll be there later!

After barangays Lo-ok and Cahagwayan is Brgy Imelda where there is a road connecting to Jipapad..,
Jipapad Road Intersection at Brgy. Imelda, Lapinig, Northern Samar
To the right is the town center of Lapinig, while to the left is going to "Japan" (Jipapad)..,

Going there is Jipapad! I learned from this neighborhood it's only five kilometers from this corner!
Jipapad Road at Brgy. Imelda, Lapinig, Northern Samar
Unfortunately, they also said that there was a little landslide yesterday, so the road was impassable to automobiles as of the moment, but habal-habals for hire are at the area. I decided not to go this time.

Lapinig was my objective anyway, so to Lapinig we went! 2kms to town we passed by these bridges!
Kalaw Bridge, Lapinig, Northern Samar
Yes there are two bridges, did you notice that? The other one is to the right! But obviously, it cannot be used any longer. It looks still fine to my eyes. But I will not trust my eyes this time. I'm not an engineer!

In no time.., Hello Lapinig! Exactly 11:04AM we were already in the town's poblacion!
Lapinig, Northern Samar
big old wooden houses at Lapinig, Northern Samar
big old wooden colonial houses at Lapinig, Northern Samar
As usual and of course, I eyed the good old wooden houses! There are still a few that remain, even if we know that this town almost always gets mercilessly battered by typhoons that enter the country.

The St. Bonaventure Parish Church of Lapinig, Northern Samar - new or under repair, I think..,
St. Bonaventure Parish Church of Lapinig, Northern Samar
I am not very familiar with that name. Is that "San Buenaventura"? If yes, I still am not familiar hehehe!

Look, this is the front gate and façade of the church. It really is still under (re?)construction..,
St. Bonaventure Parish Church of Lapinig, Northern Samar
My driver said "aw iton, makakasulod ka" - I could enter as the building looked still unfinished. Wrong!

I was able to enter the yard via the open gate, but all doors were closed (as in locked)!
St. Bonaventure Parish Church of Lapinig, Northern Samar
So, like at San Policarpo, I inserted my arms into the grills to take this picture of the church interiors! I think this church is bigger and wider than those at San Policarpo and Arteche. With a wider perimeter.

Here is the Lapinig Municipal Hall. Its building, fence and surroundings also look very new..,
Municipal Hall of Lapinig, Northern Samar
Hard to decipher if this is indeed a new construction and location or repaired refurbished building and surroundings as everything looks like new. Plus, I didn't happen to see any remnants of old structures.

Here's a closer look at the municipal building.., with a wide concreted front lawn (like at Arteche)..,
Municipal Hall, Lapinig, Northern Samar
There's a basketball court in the making, but I also saw a basketball court at a plaza across the road.

Here's a view coming from the public market area. This town must really love basketball!
Municipal Grounds, Lapinig, Northern Samar
To the left, inside the municipal hall plaza is a basketball court. Front-right, as you can see 2 kids are playing, is also a basketball court. Plus their spacious new Lapinig Gym btw, behind the church altar!

To the right of that basketball court is already the sea, and something caught my curiosity..,
Not the lowtide, not the children in the mud, not the boat nor the seawall... Something farther beyond!

I had to zoom into it!
Canawayon Island viewed from Municipal Hall grounds of Lapinig, Northern Samar
The kids earlier playing basketball were already beside me curious what I was taking pictures of! They told me that is the Canawayon Island, a favorite picnic and camping area of Lapinig residents. Ganda!

And now.., the end is near.., hahaha!

It was already 11:05AM and I was hungry. We looked around for anywhere and anything to eat. Of the two that we saw, none that we particularly liked. Driver said he remembers the new restaurant across the Arteche church. But I planned on going onwards more to Gamay. Driver asked "what if there's also no restaurant there"? So we had to return to Arteche for lunch! And I knew it, no chance to see Gamay.

So we returned to Arteche. And hey, the views going back are a little different. Panoramic!
But I had mixed feelings.., happy that I saw Lapinig, not so happy we didn't see Gamay, and HUNGRY!

Okay okay.., let's go back to Arteche. That's next!

Post a Comment

0 Comments