The Day Before Paraw Regatta: Morning

Not really the penultimate date, this is just a "besperas" (or is it "bisperas")? Ah basta, the day prior to the main event of the Iloilo Paraw Regatta 2016. We know how festivals are celebrated in this country right? A plethora of activities / contests held in a succession of days leading to, and until fiesta date.

Of course I am up to watch and witness tomorrow's paraw regatta contests, but for today, I agreed to meet with two friends who are seriously intently watching the on-going beach volleyball tournament. Not that I am an avid fan of that sport, but these two have been trying to convince me that I become like them - "unofficial" spotters (scouts) of athletes for this and that university or institution. Sige go!

What else, yes ano pa nga ba, eh di... I watched the games hehe! Even took pictures like these:
Paraw Regatta Beach Volleyball Tournament
Paraw Regatta Beach Volleyball Tournament
Paraw Regatta Beach Volleyball Tournament
Paraw Regatta Beach Volleyball Tournament
Paraw Regatta Beach Volleyball Tournament
Paraw Regatta Beach Volleyball Tournament
From morning until afternoon yan. Games in succession for both men's and women's teams.
Paraw Regatta Beach Volleyball Tournament
Shh, ayg saba... of course I silently (at times loudly) cheered for the bisdak spikers! Blood is thicker!

I even shot video clips.., wala lang.., just trying to capture things..,

But I won't bore you my non-V-addict readers. I intermittently went around to catch other things hehe!

Like this... a wall-climbing thing for the sporty folks young and old!
This was near the beach volleyball court, among fun activities and gastronomic delights on offer.

Oi the sea was generally quiet, but there were already some paraw's making their test runs!
"Test Run" they might be, I'll be honest, I was fascinated at how fast a sail-powered boat can run. Now I could imagine how fast Magellan's ships must have cruised the Pacific Ocean with just wind power!

And it has been a long time since I saw this thing, I even forgot what it is called...
All I remember is it's an Ilonggo delicacy (sweet), made from sticky rice, if I remember it right, and a children's favorite I didn't try one though. I am no foodie and am not adventurous on this aspect of life!

This festival is amply provided with the necessary services, like these two dudes!
There being no 'emergency', they were busier watching (and drooling at?) the volley belles in action!

From outside the fenced-off beach volleyball court, I stood and looked to my left...
Looks nice! And the sand looks whitish. It's actually the same grayish to black sand like everywhere in all of Villa Beach, but it becomes lighter in color (and dusty) when very dry under the noon sun's heat.

Looking to the right gave me this view...
High tide started, so the beach looks narrow. But tomorrow, low tide or high tide, I wouldn't even know if I can catch a glimpse of that sand, as every bit of space will be full with Paraw Regatta spectators.

I looked back to where I just came from, ah, the volleyball area tightly cordoned by kiosks hehe
Amazing how the place looks small from where I stood. There were hundreds of spectators in there!

Bored at the volleyball court? Ah eh, probably, because I naturally "strayed" around (away hehe)...
Look! One of the paraws was on a test run! I actually went near, asked if I can hop in for a ride on their test runs, and promised I'll behave hehe, but no can do. Test runs must carry the contest-proper load.

Oh well, I roamed around the stores and stalls instead. But, let's talk about them on my next story!

Comments