Paraw Regatta Preparations @ Villa Beach

Let's recall from my previous two posts... I was on an early morning walk around Molo from my hotel (Urban Sands) without a definite route really as to where I was going. Then I saw that the "Villa" jeeps were so inviting that I took a ride. Destination: this beach (Villa Beach). Purpose (which came to mind while already on the jeep): see their preparations for the Paraw Regatta Festival happening tomorrow!

Yeah, that's it... and in no time... I arrived at the beach!

Got off the jeep in front of Tatoy's. At their last (southern-most) beach cottage actually. Why so?

Because I knew from previous visits, that there is a "permanent" open path here going to the beach...
As said in my previous post, everywhere else is already boarded-up with tall wood or bamboo fences.

So there it is, the beach and the sea, as I emerged from the narrow pathway between cottages...

When I looked to the left, I saw this set-up: the make-shift bleachers and performance areas...
In that bleacher will sit the "who's who" and trying to be "who's who" of Iloilo. The emcees, judges and organizers will be in the middle area. The rest of the seats are probably for sponsors and/or "for sale"! Those square pallets on the sand form something like a "platform" for the performers' performances.

Anyway, I immediately walked around, and this was first to capture my attention...
A man painting the sail of a boat. Hmm, probably a hopeful in the various races and/or contests. Yes, aside from the race proper, there are other contests, such as 'most artistic sail painting art' whatever!

Virtually every boat on this long stretch of beach either looked spankingly new or newly painted!
I wondered though, where could have all the non-participating boats gone to? Hidden somewhere?!

It looks like the standard here is, boats are to be re-painted a day or two before competition...
Look at that "cluster" of boats.., they're all newly painted sky-blue, and no names or markings yet. Very reminiscent of cakes awaiting the icing or toppings! Like ready to eat foods awaiting to be garnished!

I don't know if it's just me, but these "preparations" already look like a spectacle!

Not just the boats by the way. The day-use cottages and other structures on the beach transform too!
All are cleaned or repaired, some are re-built, expanded or extended... but none with the paint - which I think is best for mother nature (and our eyes). Just their earthly colors which retains that 'rustic' look!

I loved this... an army of women and chirldren were boisterously on the "attack mode" too...
beach cleanup by mothers and children at Villa Beach Iloilo
It's a cleanup drive, last minute if you may. They're prowling and scouring the whole beach area for the unsightly rubbish - mainly non-biodegradables. A touchingly nice sight. Little earth warriors in action!

Another make-shift platform being built on the sand. Yes it is, and will later be a performance stage!
And don't be fooled by the dark tattered look of that native cottage under the coconut tree at right.

It is now "wired" and surrounded by enormous sound systems and colored lights of all intensities...
Later this afternoon until tomorrow, it will pulsate and vibrate with the latest dance music imaginable.

They're extending their "floor spaces" too, to accommodate more dining tables and chairs...
At nightfall.., oops no no.., at sundown, more of those tables and chairs will spread to this sandy open area of the beach, even the water's edge! This will be just one of the festival's hip beach party places!

I heard the lively cacophony of shrieks and giggles again... oh the 'army' was catching up with me!
It looked like they split themselves into two separate regiments strategically expanding their incursion towards both ends of the beach! Many will consider this/them trivial, but I strongly believe that is solid and very practical education out in the real world. It trains them to value an irreplaceable environment.

Well, the fathers were busier making their surroundings attractively clean for the anticipated visitors!
While those 2 lazy mongrels couldn't care any less - as if saying "bahala kamo da ah"! Well, it may be that mornings are really their "off" period after having been alertly on guard the whole night. Okay, fine!

Oh, I learned many things here. Firstly, that even boats representing other places are painted here too!
Like this side (port side) of the boat from Boracay is already done being painted (or re-painted)

While on this side (starboard side), it is just about to be finished - the N in Triton is not yet painted!
Hey, some boats like that one, have their entire rear edges movable that act as themselves already the rudder (timon). Something new for me who is not used to being at sea. It must be harder to turn, 'no?

Not all boats come to compete alone. Some come as teams of boats. Wow, ano yan, fleet or armada?!
Like that cluster of white boats, they're a barkada! Hmm, I wonder how they race. Is that similar to the bicycle races where other teammates may block other competitors so that their teammate can win?

By the way, the pictures above make those boats look rather tiny. But on closer look, they're not...
As an example, look at the outrigger (katig) of that boat and compare that to how big those men are.

Nice looking at them when sails are hoisted. This got me excited for tomorrow - surely more boats...
Paraw Regatta Boat contest entries
Yeah, I started imagining how they would look when all are lined up at the water's edge. Photo-op ini!

Also good that the 'dry sand' here at low tide is wide and flat. Ample space for their preparations.
As you would know, there are not many beaches in this archipelago that are endowed with such wide, flat and sandy (not muddy) low tide areas. But good (for us mere swimmers and frolickers) that there are not many - as that means we would have to walk far just to reach the water during a low tide hehe!

Have you tried swimming during low tide at Santiago Beach in San Francisco, Camotes?

Hey, I really liked the name of this boat I stumbled upon. Something close to the heart haha!
One of the very few I saw in this country that (LIKE ME) spells/uses the word with only one "letter L". I joked at the manong painter to please put the word "PINOY" before "TRAVELER". He asked why, I said that is my blogger name. And he even actually called the owner to ask for permission! But "no can do"!

So, therefore, por lo tanto, したがって、따라서, just now, before posting, I played with the picture...
O ayan! Your dear PT, that is me myself and I, now already has a flagship "paraw" hahaha! O ano, ha?!

Now now... because I talked to the boat painter, the little earth warriors caught up again with me...
Fascinated by this their magnanimous fun activity, I opted to stalk, join and mingle with them instead!

Look! The little darling got tired walking, so she's now being carried by her big sister hehe. Ka-cute!

For me, it is enough that these little tykes are out walking... they don't have to pick things...

It's enough that they see how things are done, what's being picked and what is not...

Sooner or later, they'll understand the essence of this activity...

Hopefully they'll soon know the importance of not scattering non-biodegradables...

And when I asked for a frontal shot, the mother only had to say "o posing posing, ara camera ho"!

But soon the little ones and their mothers got tired. So, fathers and brothers finished the job hehehe!
This is actually already far from where they (and I) started walking. Behind those kiosks is already the beach volleyball competition venue (am going there later). Even I had to also already turn back hehe!

Took this pic as the morning sun made the sky look good. I didn't notice that manong during the shot!

Eto sya... It's a tall climb ha! I hollered jokingly saying "ingat, baka mahulog ka sana dyan" hehe

Such a nice early morning view of the empty beach - which should teem with humanity tomorrow...

Kanya-kanyang paraan! This hut-in-the-making will probably become a makeshift store or "restaurant" this evening. They have already started putting the "roof" - just raw coconut leaves, not even pawid :)
Should be good enough for a two-night 'stint' at most, since the festival would already finish by then! Besides, it's almost end of February, where it is still cool but summer unofficially starts. No more rain!

Boat preparations as far as the eye can see. And there are still some women and children cleaning!

Oh look! Preparing the boats for tomorrow's contest is not just a husband thing. Even wives help out!

Is this boat a "wang-wang" or a "dyesebel"? "Sirena" is "Siren" and "Serena is Mermaid" (in Tagalog)!

All set and ready to rumble! Believe me, later in the evening until tomorrow, this place will be crowded.

I went to the water's edge for this "panoramic shot". Hope I can do this tomorrow with paraws and all!

Not contented with my attempt of a panoramic shot, how about a video instead? Here it goes..,

Whoa, the sail being painted I saw earlier (5th pic above), is still being painted hehe! How Tedious!

Look, their event name already on the sand. Thousands of folks will have their photo-ops here, surely!

Baliktad yung sa taas, so here is a better version. As in wala pang tao, so I was first to snap a photo!
Iloilo Paraw Regatta 2016 at Villa Beach Iloilo City

Amazing find! I mean I am going back to this place by mid-morning (after posting this blog) to watch the invitational beach volleyball tournament, and of course, also coming back here tomorrow morning for the regatta festival proper. Nice to have accidentally seen the preparations. I learned many things!

It's already 7:38AM, I told the hotel to serve breakfast at 8AM! Gotta ride a jeep back to Urban Sands!

My succeeding stories (yes plural) will naturally be in, around, about and at this Paraw Regatta!

Comments