Camp Kawayan, Burauen

After so many passes, it's time to tell my story about this unique resort...
view of the owner's house at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
That house is not even part of the resort. Isn't that unique hahaha! That's just where the owner lives. Look to the left, almost to the back of the house.., that is where your experience of this "resort" starts!

From this sign board, you can discern how this 'resort' interestingly started...
signage at the function hall / restaurant of Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
Meo [pronounced "mi-yo"] is the name of the owner. His love of the kitchen led into catering services after returning from various stints abroad, at famed luxury liners. Brisk business evolved into this...

A banquet / function hall where folks can celebrate various occassions or hold social events...
a view of the function hall / restaurant from the entrance at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
I was asked by a 'paying public' to come and "say something" at that ongoing seminar-workshop. And that is how I came to know this resort, because I roamed around the facility after I "said something"!
interior view of the function hall / restaurant of Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
See that? This is a big place, and really good for parties or other such gatherings. I like the 'open style' as it looks out into a garden. Reason probably why in the many times I passed this way, most events I saw happening here were wedding receptions. Well, I once saw the bee romping around the garden!

As I said above, that is the owner's house, but the surroundings become part of your event entrance...
garden and side view of the owner's house at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
Kids of all ages can play in this garden. A good place for selfies, groupfies and "class pictures" too!

A view of the highway and the entrance walkway as I stood from the reception area.
walkway from the highway to the function hall / restaurant of Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
This is that portion with a red carpet when I passed by this place two months ago, remember this?

If you noticed, there's also a line of nipa huts at right. Those are nice eating places for small groups. Oh, while this is 'generally' an event place as described above, everything and everywhere becomes a regular a la carte restaurant when there are no big groups booked. Up until the evenings, mind you.

Here's more... aside from the plants and flowers around, there are butterflies, birds and animals!
a captive bird (hawk) at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
a captive bird (hawk) at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
captive monkeys at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
There's even fish and turtles in the little ponds, and the adorable parakeets are a real crowd drawer! There's a big lizard, but some guests called it "halo", others "ibid", others more "bayawak". Confusing!

Another unique feature is that half of the entire property is surrounded by water. I went around to see it! Staff told me its a canal, my driver says its an irrigation dike. Whatever it really is, I say it is a river!

Anyway, it is clean, and quite a rampaging amount of fresh water from the mountains of Burauen...
bridge from the main function hall / restaurant to the other side of the irrigation canal at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
irrigation canal at the back and side of Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
irrigation canal at the back and side of Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte

They're building more of those little cottages on both sides of that river (well, water whatever)...
one of the newer little nipa hut cottages by the irrigation canal beside the future swimming pool at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
And take note: they're building a swimming pool out of that cool clean water by diverting part of it into some kind of a mini dam. Construction is well on the way. I sure hope to be back when that is done!

Oh, before I forget, there is another very unique thing about Camp Kawayan!

I got invited inside the owner's house, to instead enjoy my snacks in his sala. Wow... what an honor!
living room of the owner's house at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
I noticed that framed picture (blue circle) where the owner posed with "foreigners" (I thought priests)!

I asked where was this and who were they. Owner casually said "ah, some of my waiters"...
a framed picture of the owner and some of his "foreign blooded" waiters at Camp Kawayan in Burauen Leyte
My companions and my driver were like surprised I haven't noticed yet. They chorused those waiters are all out there serving the workshop participants! My chinky eyes grew wide, I was really surprised!

I was about to go out and check it out when one of them (the darker skinned) came to serve my Coke. OMG it was really them! I went out to see, even speak with the others who were busy serving food and drinks. OMG, oh my gino-o ko! They even looked "more foreigner" in their casual restaurant uniforms!

I first thought these guys were exchange students who gamely sought part time work as restaurant or catering crew. But they are not. They are "true blue" Pinoys! Well, AmerAsian Eurasian and so on, who were abandoned by their foreigner parents (usually the fathers) and here like us trying to earn a living!

The fun part, if I may call it that, was... they all grew up out here in the provinces (usually with their mothers) and live just like the rest of us who are in the rural areas. I mean, when they speak, those who grew up in the waray-waray speaking towns are so waray nga giwawarayi baga ngani hin taga huron! Og ang katong bisaya pwerteng bisdaka murag taga bukid ang sinultian! No offense meant.

But how were they gathred out here in a resort in the middle of nowhere? Owner says just by word of mouth. Most of them did not finish college (yet) and preferred to find work here as waiters. The only bit of challenge, owner says, is that many of the custoemrs - young and old alike - would keep asking to be photographed with them that it sometimes delay their services as waiters of the restaurant!

What a chance encounter! This country is really... unique!

Post a Comment

0 Comments