Sulangan Church 201409


After four years, I was back in this place. No I was (still) not a pilgrim. My group stayed overnight at two nearby resorts, so I brought them here for a visit in the morning. St. Anthony De Padua yan eh!

The last time I was here, that façade was still under re-construction. Now it already looks old!
St. Anthony of Padua Church compound in Sulangan, Guiuan Eastern Samar
But the parking area, called a "pilgrimage park", remains the same brown sand. Grass does not grow.

Here's a clearer view of the whole façade without that parked overloaded jeep above...
façade of St. Anthony of Padua Church in Sulangan, Guiuan Eastern Samar
Everything looks really front of the church now. This was the whole left side last 2010, right? Many of you will remember, that the red roofed wing on the leftmost side was where their altar was situated.

Interior view from the main entrance. Wow! Such a big difference from what I saw last 2010!
interior view and altar of St. Anthony of Padua Church in Sulangan, Guiuan Eastern Samar
That was right side of this church! And halfway up to the altar was the extension being constructed!

Look look! That wall there was where the altar was located in my 2010 visit!
As said during that visit, they were turning the church 90 degrees to the right! They did it! Those small "shelves" (I don't know how they are properly called) have each an image of a saint filling that whole side! So it has become like a devotion corner (side) where people go through to pray at each of them!

This is now the view from the present right side corner looking towards the left...
Great remodeling job! This church did not only become longer, it is now enormously wider too!

And this is the view from the now left corner (where the altar was in 2010)...
They placed the old pews (darker color) on both sides. The new and bigger ones (lighter color) are those that are in the middle. Nice of them to have retained those. Ilang punongkahoy din yan, di ba?!

Viewing (part of) the parking lot (aw pilgrims' park) from the front (not side anymore) of the church!
Then and now, I did not ask about that cross (keeps forgetting!). It must have some significance to this church, I guess. Anyway, out front (where that man is walking from) is where you light candles.

Sorry I can't help but express my irritation about that jeep. I went near and saw it was not carrying any pilgrims, but a full load of various BIG home wares like foam beds, electric fans, dish cabinets, and a lot more. They tried selling to that Caucasian man (left edge of pic). When he won't buy any, they then turned to me. Hello! I don't know barangay or church rules, but I think they should not be in that place.

Still from front of the church, I looked right - that's where all vehicles come from. I saw the bell tower!
the "bell tree" across the road from St. Anthony of Padua Church in Sulangan, Guiuan Eastern Samar
Aw ah, should I call it "bell tree"?! Well, that is now where a real church bell is hanging from, together with (sandwiched by) 2 empty acetylene gas tanks that also serve the purpose of being church bells!

Three tones at least, instead of just one, oh ha?! More amazing still, is that guy seemingly having the time of his life up there! He was not ringing any bell (at 10:35AM), probably just enjoying the breeze!

Behind that delivery truck, under the "bell tree" is this, their parish office...
We went there as 2 friends did some transactions - offer a mass? Sorry I don't know about those (yet)!

To the left of the parish office and convent, this is where the lighting of candles is done...
It's hot in there, and a bit suffocating since it is enclosed and the smoke can't easily escape.

The little stores that surround the parking area are all back after Yolanda...
A vendor told me, that as before, the little shacks were made by sponsors, but they pay rent on each.

Past those little stores and the fresh-fish vendors, I went to see the flying boats again!
I know the owners are "air-drying" those boats while not in use, but it still amazes me that they are like floating in air, when our common notion of boats is that they should be floating on water, di ba? Cute!

Btw, as I walked to that edge, a boatman told me that next time I will have to climb a breakwater for this. See the right edge of that pic, they're building a wall to protect them against storm surge (daw).

And btw too, remember I said in my 2010 visit that you can have your fish grilled here? Look at lower left edge of that photo. That is one of those grills. The fish vendors are just behind (the camera)!

To the left, there is also an ongoing build of the same breakwater...
I wondered if this could have been my last glimpse of Homonhon Island out there on the horizon.

Okay, one last look, if that is the case anyway...
That haze to the left is Cagusuan. Further left and beyond the seas (not seen in photo) will be Suluan Island. Behind that bigger haze at right will be Inapulangan. I'm going to see those places one day!

Anyway, somewhere behind those little stalls that sell many things, I saw this...
danggit being sun dried near the St. Anthony of Padua Church in Sulangan, Guiuan Eastern Samar
That's danggit being sun-dried, and I think almost done and ready for the packing. Nagutom ako!

This is how one of the little shacks (stores) look like...
stores across the St. Anthony of Padua Church in Sulangan, Guiuan Eastern Samar
A merry mix of shell necklaces, bracelets, ref magnets, key chains, rosary beads, wind chimes, trivets made of shell, candles, bags and jars made of coonut shell, danggit, bulad,etc., - all in just one store!

But there are so many stores - all of them selling the same things!
stores across the St. Anthony of Padua Church in Sulangan, Guiuan Eastern Samar
Well, there's an (abaca-made) letter/memo holder in two stores, there are shell curtains in other stalls, bags made of grass, cellphone holders made of buri and/or bariw, ice candy and phone load (top-up)!

Aside from those that you can eat (or drink), there are so many things sold at these little shacks, even if not buying, you can enjoy looking, checking, asking, touching, poking and haggling (but not buying)!
You could even easily 'forget to remember' what you came to this place for - San Antonio De Padua!

Oh well, I am almost sure I'll be back to this place again... and again!

Post a Comment

2 Comments

  1. Punta ako buwas, salamat 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! good luck and may all your prayers be granted!

      Delete