What is that? An "Air Ramp"?

This morning, I was already waiting for flight boarding at the Tacloban airport long before my plane even arrived from Manila. When it did, I watched with gusto because I just knew, like you do, once they're done deplaning passengers and cargoes, it would have been my time to board, right? Yep, can't be late, meeting 2PM, Ortigas Center hehe!

When the plane arrived though, I was surprised to see that 'humongous whatever' being pushed by a number of ground personnel towards the aircraft. And it was obvious, they were having a hard time moving that heavy 'thing'. Yeah, I said to myself 'Ano kaya yun'?!

That's the one I marked with a blue circle in the picture below.
encircled in blue, and air ramp? and encircled in red the usual air stairs on a cebu pacific airbus in tacloban
Oh, okay, alright, so that is what passengers on the front section used to disembark. First time I saw such a thing being used in this country. Well, I think I have seen something like it (from a distance) somewhere - was it IndigoAir in New Delhi last year? But what we are used to seeing is that one with the red circle - an "air stairs", right?!. 

Whatever... just looking at it, I was not particularly impressed. It kinda made my left eyebrow raised in some kind of doubt.., on the verge of disbelief hehe!

But the better part of me said... sige nga... aber... masubukan...
cebu pacific "air ramp" being used on the front door of a cebu pacific plane in tacloban
Here we go, boarding time! Ayan, where the two red arrows point, THAT is our topic!

Just looking at it, it looked really heavy...
passengers boarding using the "air ramp" of cebu pacific in tacloban
No wonder I thought their personnel were having a hard time pushing that thing! Not that I really care, but it being hard to move around could become a cause of delay ('wag naman sana).

I also thought, the ramp angle (both the lower and upper ramps) are probably steep. I am guessing it is between 30 and 40 degrees. Yes yes, magaling ako sa geometry nung high school hehe!

Ah, and this is the clincher... it's slippery!
the air ramp's metal material is slippery even on a sunny day
I was wearing my leather shoes - syempre going straight to my meetings upon arrival in Manila. And on a dry hot sunny day, this thing was slippery to walk on with my leather shoes. I was planning to ask that girl (her feet on the pic) how it felt walking on this ramp, but, before I could even open my mouth she exclaimed 'ano ba ini, madalunot'! Oh ha? And she was already wearing rubber shoes!


Okay, let's discuss that thing a bit...

What is that called? If the red-encircled equipment dun sa likod ng plane is called "air stairs", then let us 'temporarily' call this thing (encircled in blue) an 'air ramp'?! Gosh hehe, me ganun?!

Is it a new standard or has Cebu Pacific created it for what they think is their version of "for passengers' safety, comfort and convenience"? Hmm, I am intrigued, with leanings towards being doubtful! Why? Eh madulas eh! I couldn't walk well with my leather shoes. And that was on a dry sunny condition. How much more if it rained? Kuyaw oi!

Here are more of my observations:

It is supposed to be a rampway for passengers who have a hard time climbing up or down the air-stairs. BUT, the big but is/are: if it is slippery, then, it is not good; if it is supposed to be a convenience for passengers on wheelchair, hello, it is too steep any wheelchair-bound person will have a hard time (if at all kakayanin) pushing himself/herself up the plane (plus, it's slippery); if naman they say they have personnel who will push the passenger on a wheelchair, mahirap pa rin because it's steep (and slippery nga eh)!

Plus, it is so big and heavy I pity those people who push and pull it towards or away from the aircraft. The airline should provide a vehicle to tug or tow it to place.

And yes of course, since this was the first time I saw such an ugly thing being used on my flight, I silently asked, is it an IATA standard? Then again, is Cebu Pacific an IATA member anyway? Hindi pa yata eh! So they are free to make or use things that are not safe, much less comfortable!


Post a Comment

0 Comments