Going To 'Yolanda Country'

Yes dear readers and followers, your PinoyTraveler is on the way to Tacloban, and this will be a "frequent" destination, or what might even become a 'temporary residence'.

The itchy feet in me, myself and I has just agreed to help out in whatever way I can, in the recovery efforts over at the two big islands of Samar and Leyte... so here I go...

Not that it's a first time for me since Yolanda. I have been visiting the region often since November. In fact, I was just there last 11 to 12 August! But this time, I have signed up for something that will need me to be at the Yolanda stricken areas of Region VIII - and I am officially expected to be in Tacloban today (I had my briefing all of yesterday). Thus..,

This should be a day to remember for me...

Will I still be able to roam around the country and post my stories on this blog? Not sure about that. But, in my mind, I am saying, I guess I could still post stories about the many places and activities I will encounter in Region VIII (my area of assignment). This region, Eastern Visayas, is big and wide, am sure I will find things to tell you about! Did you know? Samar is the third largest island in the Philippines - after Luzon and Mindanao!

So, let's go!


Oh, first interesting sight! At check-in!
Whoa! Cabin crew? Nah, but soon probably. I asked the "ma'am", that old woman tending to them (see next pic below). She told me these cute little ones are college students of some metro manila school that offers a course on becoming an air hostess. Really now? A four year course? Golly! Me ganun pala?! But okay, ibigay na natin sa kanila yan hehe!

The kids were being checked-in as a group when I chanced upon them. They're flying (as passengers) to a domestic destination (Bacolod, I think) so they'll get to experience how it is flying in an airplane. Lesson learned, I did not know there is such a college course!

And, boarding...


And, some fuss over something...
some passenger/s... hmm, is that guy in black (tagged "whoever" in the picture below) a monsignor? He brought with him/them an image of a saint, and they were all making a fuss about it, esp one of the women who acted as if that statue was some delicate child or pet. Whadever... sige ibigay na rin yan sa kanila! Walang basagan ng trip!
They were not just trying, they were demanding (the old lady at least) that the rebulto be placed on that vacant seat up front (those that are not usually taken dahil me bayad).

And the dumb steward was all heart trying to help. Okay na sana, but they won't have the rebulto lie down - eh paano mo lalagyan ng seatbelt yan eh its a rebulto and cannot sit, aber?! The seatbelt kasi is meant for a person or something that sits, not standing.

I was short of telling the steward, if he/they really want to put it on a passenger seat, he might as well place the statue at his 'crewseat' since the seatbelt there is not just for the waist as it includes the chest (of a person). That way, the rebulto would be strapped.

Ayun, in the end, the pilot came out, and commanded the rebulto be placed at the galley's lower portion (facing the front row). I heard his first instruction was actually to have the rebulto placed at the cargo hold (which is the right thing to do) for safety.

But for some reason, he also budged because of that old woman (and a politician? see pic below) who kept harping that the rebulto be "seated". Eh ayaw nga umupo eh?! I am catholic, but I think they were overacting. That is already fanatism, right?! Haay hehe!


Anyway... Okay, so I arrived, settled at a hotel, and was brought by my host to this bar where I chanced upon this foreigner dishing out a pinoy song hahaha! Okay, okay, ibigay na rin natin sa kanya yan. Walang basagan ng trip!


Oh my Pilipinas kong mahal! I think I'm going to like this next chapter of my life!

Post a Comment

0 Comments