Waiting At Cebu Airport
More than 1 hour of waiting for my friends to arrive from Manila. I could have already gone to our hotel, actually - as I know the way, and they know that too. We're not 1st-timers here.
But, usapan is usapan. Plus they were coming in on 2 separate flights. The first one to arrive might go crazy that I'm nowhere to be found. Plus, mas mura ang taxi pag tatlo kami. Plus, 'masaya kung sama-sama'! So.., I had to wait.
Unfortunately, that waiting area across Cebu airport's arrivals be it international or domestic is a boring place to be. Seldom can you sit as there are only a few old chairs; nothing to do, other than stand & inhale vehicle fumes, only!
So... namasyal!
I went up via stairs to the taxi loading area.See?! I immediately saw a "scene" to exercise my analytical (a.k.a. 'atrevida') mind: a "tolda"! Yes, that green tent! Obviously, an attempt of the airport management to make your arrival a bit more bearable - especially when it rains.
Hmmm, if you were in line, but it was not yet your turn to hop on a taxi, and it was already raining, you would surely be a "basang sisiw". This is a side of the building, there is no roof.
Well, Pinoys are very 'creative', I am sure there will be ways when it rains. Instead of the line extending down those stairs from arrival area (where I stood to take that picture), it can go to the left by that trash bin, as it's a roofed area.
It's actually already the entrance to Domestic Departure after that trash bin hehe. Bahala na magalit si MCIA kesa mabasa ka pag umulan!
Ewan ko nga ba, I think this is the only airport where you go up to departure level, after you emerge from arrival area! And this is the only airport that keeps changing its procedures at almost every week! Why? Because it's already too small for flights and passengers it serves.
Trivia: Waterfront, the hotel across the street, is even longer than the whole airport for both their domestic and international flights. As in!
Looy. But it means Cebu is progressing fast. I in fact know, that Cebu's domestic flights are about one-third that of Manila. But here, there are only 4 boarding gates for that - while MNL has T2, Old Domestic and now the bigger T3.
Hay anyway, I continued my roam. I needed to update my knowledge, since I think it has been more than a year, from the last time I visited.
I walked from domestic to international wing of the building - no sweat, it's but a few steps!Mingaw. Ah okay, 'twas already 9:45AM. Most international flights from this airport depart in the morning or at night or even past midnight.
Anyway, I crossed the "departure road" to see the frontal perspective view of this building - in case there've been any major changes. None!Ah memories memories, it still looks the same way it did since the 1990s - almost 2 decades. I remember.., this was considered a "nice-one", though not really a "wow ang ganda" when this portion at right (International Wing) was built.
Now 2009, it looks bland - even ugly!
Yeah, standing on that spot made me run thru some "pictures in my mind", of how this airport had been growing. Ayan nagnostalgia na haha!
In fact, for those who don't know... first, it was only the part of this building at that far end. It already looked something like that, but with a lot of wood elements, especially the interiors.
If you know gates 25A & 25B, those were how that old building looked and felt like. Check-in was upstairs - this ground level you see in the picture, yes that was and still is "upstairs". You then go down the wooden stairs to a common waiting area - no escalators and/or elevators.
Because of the 'nostalgia', I remembered there were markers somewhere on the walls of this international wing. I crossed back to see them:Easy to find since these are near the entrance doors. So, I just "re-learned" now that: the first re-constructed building was inaugurated May of 1992 by Cory -a month before she became an 'ex-president'. Then the extension, now the international wing was inaugurated by Ramos in 1997. I remember, I was here as a departing passenger during that inauguration ceremony.
Teka intermission muna! Here's a collage of 2 photos, that I also snapped in this same area:On the left panel are porters standing-by. Why was there no work? They told me the morning international flights were done, while the next flights' check-in would commence "unya pa".
I also asked why they don't/can't do porterage service for domestic flights. All said "they do", reason why there were waiting here. Da! That confused me, since this is international wing, so I asked why, as this is still some distance.
They educated me that domestic passengers also alight from their vehicles or taxi already at is area, because there is no more space in front of the domestic wing. Why so? Ah, I will explain with more details later - down below!
Meanwhile, let's talk about the blue plaque on the right panel of the picture collage above. I was actually very surprised to have seen that "dedication" on this, an airport. Isa rin pala ito sa mga Peace-Blossoms ng kulto na iyan. Ta!
My lips are sealed na lang muna. But a lot of things are showing up like this, this, and this.
Ah ambot! Back to the airport's building etc.
Actually, my general memory says: from 1995 (or earlier) onwards, that building inaugurated by Aquino had many improvements too, while the extension was being built, such that they resulted as one contiguous terminal building, opened by Ramos a year prior his term's end.
The constructions were left & right that traffic was always heavy. This also opened in 1996:I was an invited guest during its inauguration as Waterfront Mactan Island Hotel & Casino. O di ba? Sa aking mumurahing edad, I had an RSVP invitation to such a much-hyped-up and talk-of-the-town event down on Mactan Island!
I remember I went for just a peep at the lobby & swimming pool, then left after about 5 or so minutes. I had other "more exciting priorities" that day as a young adult - and thought about such inaugural ceremonies as pang-matanda!
Oh, I took that picture above while standing in front of this airport's international wing. And I realized it already slightly changed its name to Waterfront Airport Hotel & Casino. Whatever!
Oist, from that inauguration onwards, I had a lot of "notes" about, in, and around that hotel. But let us return our focus back to the airport.I stood by the departure curbside fronting the international wing - and if you noticed, this is just the opposite side of the 3rd photo above.
New to me, and good to know, that here, they are also already doing that "diagonal stop" for loading or unloading of passengers, like what they do at NAIA T2. I like it (as passenger) but I don't know (yet) why many people despise it.
Well, a friend told me: okay naman, kaso kapag umuulan, basa ka to da max, pati baggage mo". Hmmm, oo nga ano?! Much more exposure to rain or even harsh sun, with that parking style.
I just realized now, the many airports that do that (in other countries) have a foyer or a wide roof covering their whole departure curbside. Ay naku MCIA, MIAA, CAAP, etc., sablay pala!
Besides, I saw incidents na (at NAIA 2), where altercations or apprehensions arose, as some drivers park on those slots, longer than mere loading or unloading as mandated. Hay pipol!
Oist hehe, that CRV, and that Hi-ace both had no drivers when I took that shot. Oy, unsa na?! Many times, not only the authorities and their procedures that need correcting. Tayo rin hoy! Loading/unloading only. Hindi yan parking lot!
Aw, on this one, the authority's procedure and the taxi drivers are both dispalinghado ahaha!Look at the foyer at right. Actually, everything at right. All of that is Domestic Departure Area, except for the green tent over at the very end.
Yet those cabs were all queuing up for arriving passengers that they must get from that tent.
So, if you were a departing passenger on a cab, you'll have to 'get off at the international wing' (that was behind me when I took that photo) as that's where they would drop you anyway, and you still walk to that entrance foyer up ahead.
Not far for me, but for others who have lots of things to carry, or those not used to walking a bit more than necessary, you won't like it here.
You (or even your cab driver mismo), can insist to be let off only under that foyer. That's where the entrance door to domestic wing is located anyway, right? Correct, but it often becomes a mouth war, since they just won't let you insert.
Look at that photo above again. There's a cab trying to insert - obviously tying to stop under that foyer in-front of the departures entrance.
The cabs lined up for the arrival queue won't let that cab insert. Ay, nagkainitan AT nanood ako dahil akala ko mag-boboksing na hahaha!
The ending, that cab outside wasn't ever able to get in. He let his passenger off (an old lady) at that same position - the middle of the road.
Now, I think that is a problem that needs to be addressed. Why is arrival commute up at the departure area anyway, while those who have their own vehicles can be fetched downstairs at the arrival area? Isn't that burgis mentality?
Well, they (airport authorities) may readily say "WIP (work-in-progress), please bear with us". In fairness, I could see indicators that they're doing some things down at arrival area, that might relate to public transport. Hinala lang!
Anyway, my 2 friends' separate flights finally arrived. I told them to come up to departure area, and find me already lining up for a taxi!That's the taxi of the passengers ahead of us on the line - before we hopped into ours. That guard writes your taxi details on a little sheet of paper that has police contact details. Then gives it to you as handy reference, in case you want to complain about taxi driver attrocities.
And off to the city we went.
PS: Something I did not see that I oh so miss: a marker, indicator, or any palatandaan, about the old Mactan Airport building, before it was renovated under Cory's government. Wala na?
Anyway.., Hello Sugbo!
But, usapan is usapan. Plus they were coming in on 2 separate flights. The first one to arrive might go crazy that I'm nowhere to be found. Plus, mas mura ang taxi pag tatlo kami. Plus, 'masaya kung sama-sama'! So.., I had to wait.
Unfortunately, that waiting area across Cebu airport's arrivals be it international or domestic is a boring place to be. Seldom can you sit as there are only a few old chairs; nothing to do, other than stand & inhale vehicle fumes, only!
So... namasyal!
I went up via stairs to the taxi loading area.See?! I immediately saw a "scene" to exercise my analytical (a.k.a. 'atrevida') mind: a "tolda"! Yes, that green tent! Obviously, an attempt of the airport management to make your arrival a bit more bearable - especially when it rains.
Hmmm, if you were in line, but it was not yet your turn to hop on a taxi, and it was already raining, you would surely be a "basang sisiw". This is a side of the building, there is no roof.
Well, Pinoys are very 'creative', I am sure there will be ways when it rains. Instead of the line extending down those stairs from arrival area (where I stood to take that picture), it can go to the left by that trash bin, as it's a roofed area.
It's actually already the entrance to Domestic Departure after that trash bin hehe. Bahala na magalit si MCIA kesa mabasa ka pag umulan!
Ewan ko nga ba, I think this is the only airport where you go up to departure level, after you emerge from arrival area! And this is the only airport that keeps changing its procedures at almost every week! Why? Because it's already too small for flights and passengers it serves.
Trivia: Waterfront, the hotel across the street, is even longer than the whole airport for both their domestic and international flights. As in!
Looy. But it means Cebu is progressing fast. I in fact know, that Cebu's domestic flights are about one-third that of Manila. But here, there are only 4 boarding gates for that - while MNL has T2, Old Domestic and now the bigger T3.
Hay anyway, I continued my roam. I needed to update my knowledge, since I think it has been more than a year, from the last time I visited.
I walked from domestic to international wing of the building - no sweat, it's but a few steps!Mingaw. Ah okay, 'twas already 9:45AM. Most international flights from this airport depart in the morning or at night or even past midnight.
Anyway, I crossed the "departure road" to see the frontal perspective view of this building - in case there've been any major changes. None!Ah memories memories, it still looks the same way it did since the 1990s - almost 2 decades. I remember.., this was considered a "nice-one", though not really a "wow ang ganda" when this portion at right (International Wing) was built.
Now 2009, it looks bland - even ugly!
Yeah, standing on that spot made me run thru some "pictures in my mind", of how this airport had been growing. Ayan nagnostalgia na haha!
In fact, for those who don't know... first, it was only the part of this building at that far end. It already looked something like that, but with a lot of wood elements, especially the interiors.
If you know gates 25A & 25B, those were how that old building looked and felt like. Check-in was upstairs - this ground level you see in the picture, yes that was and still is "upstairs". You then go down the wooden stairs to a common waiting area - no escalators and/or elevators.
Because of the 'nostalgia', I remembered there were markers somewhere on the walls of this international wing. I crossed back to see them:Easy to find since these are near the entrance doors. So, I just "re-learned" now that: the first re-constructed building was inaugurated May of 1992 by Cory -a month before she became an 'ex-president'. Then the extension, now the international wing was inaugurated by Ramos in 1997. I remember, I was here as a departing passenger during that inauguration ceremony.
Teka intermission muna! Here's a collage of 2 photos, that I also snapped in this same area:On the left panel are porters standing-by. Why was there no work? They told me the morning international flights were done, while the next flights' check-in would commence "unya pa".
I also asked why they don't/can't do porterage service for domestic flights. All said "they do", reason why there were waiting here. Da! That confused me, since this is international wing, so I asked why, as this is still some distance.
They educated me that domestic passengers also alight from their vehicles or taxi already at is area, because there is no more space in front of the domestic wing. Why so? Ah, I will explain with more details later - down below!
Meanwhile, let's talk about the blue plaque on the right panel of the picture collage above. I was actually very surprised to have seen that "dedication" on this, an airport. Isa rin pala ito sa mga Peace-Blossoms ng kulto na iyan. Ta!
My lips are sealed na lang muna. But a lot of things are showing up like this, this, and this.
Ah ambot! Back to the airport's building etc.
Actually, my general memory says: from 1995 (or earlier) onwards, that building inaugurated by Aquino had many improvements too, while the extension was being built, such that they resulted as one contiguous terminal building, opened by Ramos a year prior his term's end.
The constructions were left & right that traffic was always heavy. This also opened in 1996:I was an invited guest during its inauguration as Waterfront Mactan Island Hotel & Casino. O di ba? Sa aking mumurahing edad, I had an RSVP invitation to such a much-hyped-up and talk-of-the-town event down on Mactan Island!
I remember I went for just a peep at the lobby & swimming pool, then left after about 5 or so minutes. I had other "more exciting priorities" that day as a young adult - and thought about such inaugural ceremonies as pang-matanda!
Oh, I took that picture above while standing in front of this airport's international wing. And I realized it already slightly changed its name to Waterfront Airport Hotel & Casino. Whatever!
Oist, from that inauguration onwards, I had a lot of "notes" about, in, and around that hotel. But let us return our focus back to the airport.I stood by the departure curbside fronting the international wing - and if you noticed, this is just the opposite side of the 3rd photo above.
New to me, and good to know, that here, they are also already doing that "diagonal stop" for loading or unloading of passengers, like what they do at NAIA T2. I like it (as passenger) but I don't know (yet) why many people despise it.
Well, a friend told me: okay naman, kaso kapag umuulan, basa ka to da max, pati baggage mo". Hmmm, oo nga ano?! Much more exposure to rain or even harsh sun, with that parking style.
I just realized now, the many airports that do that (in other countries) have a foyer or a wide roof covering their whole departure curbside. Ay naku MCIA, MIAA, CAAP, etc., sablay pala!
Besides, I saw incidents na (at NAIA 2), where altercations or apprehensions arose, as some drivers park on those slots, longer than mere loading or unloading as mandated. Hay pipol!
Oist hehe, that CRV, and that Hi-ace both had no drivers when I took that shot. Oy, unsa na?! Many times, not only the authorities and their procedures that need correcting. Tayo rin hoy! Loading/unloading only. Hindi yan parking lot!
Aw, on this one, the authority's procedure and the taxi drivers are both dispalinghado ahaha!Look at the foyer at right. Actually, everything at right. All of that is Domestic Departure Area, except for the green tent over at the very end.
Yet those cabs were all queuing up for arriving passengers that they must get from that tent.
So, if you were a departing passenger on a cab, you'll have to 'get off at the international wing' (that was behind me when I took that photo) as that's where they would drop you anyway, and you still walk to that entrance foyer up ahead.
Not far for me, but for others who have lots of things to carry, or those not used to walking a bit more than necessary, you won't like it here.
You (or even your cab driver mismo), can insist to be let off only under that foyer. That's where the entrance door to domestic wing is located anyway, right? Correct, but it often becomes a mouth war, since they just won't let you insert.
Look at that photo above again. There's a cab trying to insert - obviously tying to stop under that foyer in-front of the departures entrance.
The cabs lined up for the arrival queue won't let that cab insert. Ay, nagkainitan AT nanood ako dahil akala ko mag-boboksing na hahaha!
The ending, that cab outside wasn't ever able to get in. He let his passenger off (an old lady) at that same position - the middle of the road.
Now, I think that is a problem that needs to be addressed. Why is arrival commute up at the departure area anyway, while those who have their own vehicles can be fetched downstairs at the arrival area? Isn't that burgis mentality?
Well, they (airport authorities) may readily say "WIP (work-in-progress), please bear with us". In fairness, I could see indicators that they're doing some things down at arrival area, that might relate to public transport. Hinala lang!
Anyway, my 2 friends' separate flights finally arrived. I told them to come up to departure area, and find me already lining up for a taxi!That's the taxi of the passengers ahead of us on the line - before we hopped into ours. That guard writes your taxi details on a little sheet of paper that has police contact details. Then gives it to you as handy reference, in case you want to complain about taxi driver attrocities.
And off to the city we went.
PS: Something I did not see that I oh so miss: a marker, indicator, or any palatandaan, about the old Mactan Airport building, before it was renovated under Cory's government. Wala na?
Anyway.., Hello Sugbo!
Comments
Post a Comment