Silay Morning Walk


This would have been my usual morning walk. As I said in my other stories, when I have the time, and allowed to, I do morning walks at places I visit, which I never do when I'm home, and I don't know why!

Those walks are mostly aimless - without any itinerary nor purpose on what to see or do. They're what I call 'on a come-what-may basis'! But today had a bit of an exception: to watch out for the old houses!

To consciously watchout for big old houses obviously stemmed from the fascinating experience I had in yesterday's afternoon walk. Yet still, I had no specific walking itinerary, since there is just none (yet)!

I searched online last night, I asked around, I even called up some reliable sources.., no one could give me a definite walking route around downtown Silay, such that I could pass-by all those big old houses in an orderly fashion without going around in circles. I was not even specific to "just heritage houses"!

Let's hope someone can come up with that 'suggested walking itinerary' soon!

Anyway, about 6AM, I was excitedly out of Baldevia Pension for my walk, and first I checked was this:
I could see the window of my room up on that second floor! That's such a big ancestral building, right? I wondered when was it first made, how did it look, when was it rebuilt/refurbished, etc. I was curious!

So, I walked back to that corner wall expecting to find information, since there's this historical marker.
Do you now share my annoyance with those NHI markers in Silay? As a tourist/visitor, what comes to your mind after reading that? Chances are you would be saying "so, ano ngayon", right? Ano ba naman kung sinabi man lang nila "this building originally built in 19XX was a bla bla bla showing the ek ek ek architecture of the whatever era etcetera etcetera. What tourist wants to know the resolution number?

Dear NHI, it's enough that your logo is atop a plaque. You are describing the historic significance of a place or edifice via that marker, not the minutes of, at kung kelan kayo nag-meeting mga %^&#$ kayo!

Ke aga-aga kumulo ang dugo ko! Siguro abugago ang pinagawa ni NHI (now NHCP) ng mga markers na yan. Sanay sa "this lot is not for sale" or "this property is under litigation, docket number ek ek ek"!

Buti nalang me google. I checked online and learned that the building is also referred to as Lino Lope Severino Ancestral House. It was a department store, purportedly the first in Negros, before becoming a pension house (second floor) and a row of commercial stalls (ground level) - managed by 2 owners.

Now, I tend to disagree with articles I saw naming that building as that of "Lino Lopez Severino". Weh, was there such a person? Without asking the family (since I have no access and do not know them), I am more inclined to deduce that "Lino Lope" are actually 2 names - Lino Severino and Lope Severino!

Why do I say so? Hunch lang heheh! Because I know there is/was a Lino Severino Jr., he was a pilot of PAF and PAL, he was also an artist, and he was from Silay. If he was a Jr., then the Sr., must have been a prominent Silaynon, right? Then there was a prominent Lope Severino, a Silaynon and congressman.

Are/Were they related? Probably. But judging from their ages (where Lino was still a pilot in the 1970s, Lope was 2nd district congressman in the early 1900s), versus the age of that building, they could not have been the original builders, right? Hmm, maybe Lino Sr. is a brother of Lope, and their father was the builder/owner of that building/house, then later it was named after them, that's why it's Lino Lope?

Just guessing. But it should be along that line. If so, sino ama nila? There was a Melecio, there was an Alfonso. There was even a politician (yes, Severino) who was jailed for 'adultery' (haay politics talaga)!

That marker should put hints as to the building and/or the owner. Example: say what year it was built, pwede na yan. So we visitors can appreciate why it was built so huge, what they needed it for. Ganun!

Who cares about Board Resolution No. 1 dated March 8, 1994? Pati ba naman NHI ume-EPAL din?

Okay, indi na mag-pangakig, let's proceed with my walk!

I just realized it's nice to see the old big houses early morning (whether there's a "pursuant" or not)!
That's the same view as above. But I could stand in the middle of the (not yet busy) street, for a better view of the buildings, without danger of being crushed by vehicles or disrupting the city traffic. Sadjah!

The partly hidden building at right is Maria Ledesma Golez Ancestral House we've seen here and here.

But here's another picture with both heritage buildings in one shot (still along Rizal St.)
If not for the yellow and blue buses, the scene would even look and feel like from another country! But folks familiar with the colors of Ceres, kahit bagong gising, would instantly know that's in the Visayas!

In fact, the reason I stood on that spot, was not just to view the two buildings, but also to check where exactly Ceres buses stop, as that would be my ride going to EB Magalona, later that morning. Look at that yellow bus, it looked like approaching me, right? It was! Thus, I learned where to ride a Ceres bus!

But let's go back to those two buildings. I've read from somewhere that both actually have one unique characteristic - their structural corners being "oblique" instead of the usual "right-angled" - purportedly considered 'state-of-the-art' in the era they were constructed - kung kelan man yon, wala sa marker eh!

What about the Maria Ledesma Golez Ancestral House? Well, who else would I ask for information at this time other than the world wide web, di ba? But everything I read was that it is now RCBC, eh di ba obvious, ayan nasa harap ko na eh. I wanted to know something more, but nothing really intrigued me.

Restored in 1992, ready for occupancy in 1993.., ho humm, good info enough. Until, for lack of nothing else to amaze me, my tsismoso mind focused on Felix! Some web pages about the building write it as "Felix and Maria Ledesma Golez Ancestral House" while the NHI historical marker on the wall outside the bank just say "Maria Ledesma Golez Ancestral House". Sin-o si Felix, nga-a gin-etsapwera ni NHI?

Can't find any interesting credible reliable information so far. Basta, they had/have a wonderful house!

Next I saw on this walk, therefore I went near it, was Bernardino-Ysabel Jalandoni Ancestral House.
Some call it "Bernardino and Ysabel Lopez-Jalandoni Ancestral House". Some say "The Pink House". I want to call it by what the NHI marker says it is: the "Bernardino-Ysabel Jalandoni Ancestral House", if only to help avoid confusing tourists. I noticed that placing all those middle names of the husband and the wife seem to be a penchant of Negrense and Ilonggo people. That often becomes confusing!

It is like saying "Benigno Simeon Jr. - Corazon Cojuangco Aquino Ancestral House", eh pwede namang sabihin "Ninoy Aquino House" nalang! In fact, it's even good that in this Jalandoni House they placed a dash (-) between Lopez and Jalandoni. The others don't have that. Ang mga misis (or their families?), ayaw palugi sa "billing" hehe! Some even repeat a word, when the middle and surnames are the same!

But let's leave it at that. It's probably part of their culture. Walang basagan ng trip!

Compared to the two big houses above, I am more amazed at this one as there is still a lot of wood.
It is not easy to maintain wooden houses, especially if they're quite huge. So if an old house with a lot of wood is still up and standing during our times, that should be more than amazing. Lucky for us, we could still see them now, as reminder (and proof) of the affluent and glorious past, of places like Silay.

I was just telling my self, I've already seen this house, and I remember a museum or something. Voila!
Awh, so this is the Jalandoni House Museum! Two things muddled my brain that I did not immediately recognize I've already seen this big house: 1) this time I came walking along the city streets - while the time I entered that 'museum', we came in a cramped L300 van; and 2) I only remembered a 'Jalandoni' as the museum name, not Bernardino nor Ysabel nor Lopez. I itched to enter, but it was only 6AM. Da!

Then I remembered the public market. Oh yes, the palengke, the mercado! So I walked going there..,
How far is their public market from the Jalandoni House? Just a few steps! One way is: head right and to the back of the house, that's already the back portion of their public market. Or, return to the corner of Rizal and Burgos Streets, turn left, then that is the front of the market (photo above, and yesterday)!

Unfortunately, I did not anymore go into the market for native delicacies. I sensed there were already a crowd of people even at such an early time. Surely ubos na ang mga yon. I realized weekend nga pala.

I went on with my walk and turned right on Gomez St. Why? Because this was where my trike from the airport passed yesterday, and I recalled, there was a 'heritage house' a block before the market. This..,
Hahaha, don't ask me how and why it is a heritage house because I will answer you with "pursuant to"!

But here it is anyway in full perspective view, the "Vicente Conlu Montelibano Ancestral House"..,
While it may seem too simple, looking especially at the upper level makes you realize that it is such an awesome big old house. The wooden pieces are full of details, that must have been artistic in its time!

Notice what may have been originally the ventanillas are instead covered with carved wooden planks. Hmm, I keep imagining until now, if the wooden details outside the house were already like so, then its insides probably have/had more interesting wooden artifacts. Let us hope the wood parts stay longer.

The ground level is probably not original, right? It probably have been spruced up for safety (due to old age) and security (due to proximity with the road). Of course it is obvious a street widening happened in that area, so the walls are now right on the street, while the door's base is lower than the pavement!

Still a good old concrete-and-wood house. Oh, and someone told me, we the public can actually enter the house - but by calling to set an appointment days prior to arrival. It is still fully habited, that is why.

This (Zamora cor. Gomez St.) is a 'heritage corner'. I say that since all four corners have old houses.
That is the Arsenio Lopez Jison Ancestral House across that Montelibano House on Zamora St. Both houses are on Gomez St. too, but I say Zamora, because their entrances are there - facing each other.

The Jison house isn't "usizero friendly" though! Kasi, there's that rather new concrete fence around the entire property so we curious tourists (a.k.a. mga osyoso), don't see much of the house's ground level.

It is a nice study anyway.., on how ancestral homes evolve through the years, how they are spruced up to match the recent occupants' needs and/or wants. Look at the "relationships" of windows and roofs on that house, you should be able to spot something odd! At least we know they wanted to improve it.

Could he be the Arsenio Jose Lopez Jison born in 1901 to Albino Golez Jison (Silay) and Maria Juana Dolores Villanueva Lopez (Pasay)? Could he have been Arsenio Jison who was president of Philippine National Bank in the '50s? Also the same Arsenio Jison where a street in Las Piñas was named after?

He probably was, because he was brought back to Silay when he died in 1971.

Still on the same corner, across the above house on Gomez St., is yet another ancestral home..,
That is just the side of the German Unson Ancestral House, also not easy to view from the street, due to trees and that concrete wall beautifully wrapped by decorative (real) vines. Entrance at Zamora St.

While still a real home, it's now a bed & breakfast offering 5 rooms, after it was spruced up in 2016..,
The interesting thing about this ancestral house is anyone can look around, including any or all of the rooms (if not occupied by guests) annotated by one of the owners, free but you need to call for a slot!

All I can say is: "why tour around if you can stay and experience it"?! I will, in my next visit to Silay.

Across the above house (on Zamora St.) and across the Montelibano House (on Gomez) is this..,
Yet another big corner property, though I could not see much of the old house inside it due to the very high fence. But I think I saw something that said "library" while walking on the other side (Zamora St.) on my way to the plaza and church areas. I'm not even sure if that "library" is still the same compound.

Here, these back portions of Sian (McDo) and Lacson houses before reaching the plaza and church.

Here's a morning picture of the pro-cathedral as I turned left on Rizal St. just by the Sian House..,

I crossed to the public plaza, and this is their Rizal Monument, on Rizal St., of course!
It's nice to walk on that side of the road (public plaza, where you can see the jogger with a dog at left).

On that side, I glanced to where I came from, and saw these two houses we talked about yesterday.
Wasn't I lucky to have captured the Sian House before ground level got converted into a McDonalds?

Across Rizal, right beside the above Sian House is the Manuel de la Rama Locsin Ancestral House:
Those small windows up near the ceiling are called 'skylight windows' in our present times. That's not an attic up there. "Skylights" are a way of providing better illumination (from the sky), plus ventilation!

I could just imagine, it must be airy bright at that second floor, right? What with big high windows with sliding panels, the 'ventanillas', a high ceiling and the 'skylight' panels all around the house. Coolness!

Looking onwards, further southwards, while walking by the park, more interesting views beckoned..,
That's a busy thoroughfare. But / Since it was early in the morning, the street was still virtually empty.

You see that van at the photo's right edge? That's where commuters take their rides to the airport. The partly hidden "house" after the van is one of the classy old buildings of Silay North Elementary School.

Still on the right side of that picture, that old house seemingly standing in the middle of the highway is the now famed El Ideal Bakery. It was saved from the road widening due to its being a heritage house.

The house at left with a 7 Eleven is the Josefita Tionko Lacson Ancestral House, which is this below:
Wow, that makes them three big old heritage buildings still standing side-by-side facing the plaza and church! Did you know that in the past, being able to erect a house near the church and 'munisipyo' was a status symbol? Well, I think it still is so these days, right? Because, that means you're a "can afford"!

Btw, Rizal St., was previously called Calle Real which literally means "Royal Street" or "Main Street". So it was (and still is) the "it" or "in" street - therefore a high-priced real estate only the wealthy can afford!

Hey, why some of those ancestral houses are named after the matriarch instead of the patriarch, I still don't know. But looking a little deeper into their middle names and surnames actually reveal that most of the original house owners, and/or their offspring were somehow consanguineally related. Puzzling!

That, in turn reveals a culture of this place (during olden times) - they intermarry within their clans.

Onwards with my walk, I reached Silay North Elementary School for a closer look of this old building..,
And at close range, it looks like made of newer materials, but retaining the old-style architecture. Is it? Now that confused me, especially that I couldn't get any nearer. Is it really new, or old-but-refurbished?

But the upper floor windows struck me as a rare remaining kind! Look at those two open panels..,
They are not 'sliding' windows, not even 'hinged'. They are 'swiveled' in the middle, therefore swings up and down (probably even rotates completely) and those are big panels. Wow! We just do not anymore see those types of windows nowadays, right? Quite a remembrance of the "conveniences" of the past!

By the way, for those commuting to the airport, remember that blue canopy above. That is where you'll find the van dispatchers. The maroon-roofed structure is a waiting shed, and all buses also stop there!

Alright.., I walked further on.., and next I stumbled upon is the Cesar Lacson Locsin Ancestral House:
It is of course more popularly known as "El Ideal" Bakery [pronounced "elidyal"] which, from the 1920s has become more popular than the heritage house's name, even if the marker is conspicuously affixed to the outside wall. In fact, if you ask around looking for a "Cesar Lacson Locsin Ancestral House", not many locals would be able to point you in the right direction. But if you say "elidyal", even kids know it!

Or you can also look for "guapple" [pronounced gwapol / gwapul], since the bakery is/was famous for that delectable pie of "guavas" and "apples", hence the name "Guapple Pie". Hope they still make that.

Onwards, on the next corner, I found the Soledad and Maria Montelibano Lacson Heritage House.
That road bisecting Rizal St., where this old house faces, is Jose 'Pitong' Ledesma St. I hesitated here.

I even stood in the very middle of the intersection as if I was a traffic police, hehehe!

If I went straight on Rizal St. (which is the national highway), I had a feeling I would see other more big old houses, although it looked like the area beyond is more commercially developed, but I wasn't sure.

If I walked to the left (westwards), still on this J Ledesma St., the area also seemed like there might be other more big old houses there. But how was I to know if I did not go there? Yet, what if there's none?

If I walked to the right (east), just a few paces, I could already see another big old house after the BPI branch. After that is already Adela's House (The Mansion), with the noted Café 1925 in between them.

I was trying to weigh which way would I go as I took a closer look at this heritage house..,
Interesting that only its base (floor) is concrete. Unlike the previous old houses I saw, the ground level walls, doors and windows on this one are still made of wood. But all the canopies are galvanized iron.

There are interesting things around this Soledad and Maria Montelibano Lacson Heritage House that I haven't seen in the others. Like the slanting beams on second floor - actually only two remain made of wooden beams. The rest, all too many of them, are already steel rods. I learned somewhere that those are to support the roof-like thing called "window overhang". Hah, it is not easy maintaining old houses!

Oh, I find the grills sort of amusing! We know those are recent additions (for security), right? But, while the main entrance is heavily grilled, you will wonder why the two windows (ground floor) are not. Well, maybe there is a guard-dog or a real armed guard just behind those windows! Same case upstairs, the three windows on Real St. don't have grills while those on Ledesma have. No bandit on the main road?

The traffic lights and signage already encroach the house's property. Probably due to the widening.

After getting near and reading the NHI marker of that Lacson House, this flowery wall beckoned..,
Nice 'no? Not easy to do or maintain. But a good deterrent to burglars since bougainvilleas are thorny.

Oh, since I was already there, on Jose Ledesma St., I opted to walk rightwards and marveled at this..,
It is a beautiful old house. I just could not ascertain if that too is a 'heritage house' since I couldn't see any marker or signage. I just told my self "maybe it is, and maybe the NHI marker is inside" which can't be seen from street level due to high shrubbery fence and gate. I liked looking at the 'upstairs' anyway.

Left edge of that photo is the famed Café 1925, which, I think is part of the property line of that big old house. Because, further left from Café 1925 (pader lang ang pagitan) is already Adela's Mansion. Duu!

So I was back at where evening has befallen on me yesterday! I'll be honest, medyo kinalabututan ako being at this place (again) as it was not even 7AM yet. This part of the street is always desolate, since even if those big houses now have children in them, they do not come out to play. No need, since each house has ample garden space. What if I met an old lady in a wheelchair? Would I've said "Ola Adela"?

Aba, kahit 6-footer pa ako na walang inaatrasang away, be it verbal or physical, pagdating sa ganyang usapan.., others me (ibahin nyo ako).., marunong din ako manghilakbot sa mga maka-multong paksa!

Hahaha, I hurried past that truncated mansion and faced the Jose Corteza Locsin Ancestral House.
I have seen the house yesterday, but I thought it looked better with a little splash of early morning sun! Mala-palasyo yes, but if you had 20 children, maliit yan. I still say "grabe dok, ikaw na gid ang butakal"!

Front of the same house. All the more that it does not look much for a family with 20 children, right?
Then again, he was haciendero and a stateman at that. He may have had other houses than just that! In fact, the house directly behind, purported to be the oldest ancestral house in Negros bear the same surname, Antonia de la Rama Locsin. But she was a spinster. Ah maybe she helped raise Jose's kids?

Don't take me seriously on that one. Nanghuhula na ako hehehe!

Anyway, the heritage house that I did not anymore take-a-picture-of yesterday evening, was this one:
The Jose "Pitong" Ledesma Heritage House. From the fact alone that this street was named after him I don't need to delve more on who he is, right? He must have been a noted Silaynon. I read somewhere he was a noted pianist-conductor, aside of course from being like his relatives, a wealthy sugar baron!

Perhaps because it's a bit older, this heritage home looks a bit different from those I have seen so far.
It is two levels yes, but it's not as tall as the other old houses. The ground level particularly, is/was too low for normal human habitation. Which (happily anyway) reminds us of the older house-construction style, where the ground floor or "silong" was just for keeping farming implements, stocks and animals.

That is also the reason why stairs were externally located.

Hey, across the above heritage home, the property is about as wide, but no big old house. I could even see a swimming pool! Though it looked to me like there once was a big ancestral house in that corner.

And speaking of 'that corner', I turned right on Don Generoso Gamboa St. I know I know, right? I could have gone to the end of Pitong Ledesma St. Yes, I saw interesting things there. But chill lang kayo, I'll get there very soon enough in no time hehehe! Why did I turn right to Gamboa St.? Because I saw this:
It's another interesting big old house, I don't even know if it's one of those considered heritage houses (since I could not see a marker). But its shape and size got me curious while I was still at the corner.

It has the slanted iron rods too, as support to the window overhang. The capiz shells of their upstairs windows are not the usual squares but diamond-style. Kakaiba! The front door seemed to be buried a bit on the ground. Ah, I know that 'phenomenon'! The street level got elevated during concreting repair.

Something else amazed me while looking at this house, that I took another photo after passing by it.
I think it must have been the roof. Look at it, it is like two tiers, because of the window overhang. Cool! Oh, I even tiptoed to see beyond the fence, as I thought I saw a swimming pool after the trees at right!

I'm not sure there is. But 'huwag gayahin' - titingin-tingin, sisilip-silip, even raising my neck high-up, just to get a clearer view of what was behind those fences - very early in the morning. On hindsight.., yes, I only thought about it after the fact.., anyone could've mistaken me for an "akyat bahay gang member"!

Di ba?

Anyway, after the above big old house, I reached the corner where they have that little WWII memorial. But I've seen that yesterday, so I didn't bother going near to look at it. I was in "hesitation limbo" again.

If I went straight, it would have been back to the city hall and church. If I turned tight, it would've been back to the elementary school and airport shuttle service station. So, I opted to turn left on Zulueta St.

Was I going around in circles? Ahh, probably! But I didn't mind at all. I enjoyed this 'inquisitive' morning walk without a set itinerary or 'organized' walking route. Because there is none (yet). No one could tell me! I expected that the city tourism would have made that available with the info spread all over Silay.

So, I was dependent on what I could see ahead or around me. Something like: "oy okay yan ah", "whoa, ang laki ng lumang bahay doon", "oy ano kaya yun", "ano kaya meron banda dun", then I would go for it.

I think I even passed by informal settlers along Zulueta. But at the corner with another big street, this:
And I smiled telling my self "hey, I've been in there thrice before"! That's the Balay Negrense, of course.

I think this is the most-visited ancestral house in Silay as this was opened to the public long ago.
I know it is not anymore very representative of what might have been its original color (parang varnish na yan eh), but far as I know, it is the most publicized or informally advertised ancestral home of Silay.

Meaning the most popular, therefore most sought-after, even if the others are equally worth a visit.

If you ask me why, the primary reason would be, as I said above, it has been opened for public viewing as a museum, a long time ago. And second, it has a very handy 'name recall', Balay Negrense, just five syllables. And, "Negrense" very easily refers to "Negros", the island (even province) where it is located.

Kesa naman sa all others, na ipinagpilitan isaksak sa 'house name' ang 'middle name' at 'last name' ni mister pati ni misis, o ni kapatid at isa pang kapatid! Which tourist can remember them? Aba, 31 yan!

Case in point: not many locals (all the more ex-visitors) who have been there, can remember that it is the Victor Fernandez Gaston Ancestral House as per the NHI marker? They do know Balay Negrense!

Example txt conversation I had sometime ago:
Ako: On arrival, pass by Silay before going Bacolod, see the alluring ancestral houses.
Friend: Wat's d name?
Ako: madami yan, start with Balay Negrense
Done! Kesa magpakahirap pa ako trying to recall and typing so many names!

Ah, before we leave Balay Negrense, on that last picture, I gave my self a pat on the back, since it was still early, the gate was closed, so I just inserted my phone between the fence grills to snap the photo!

Alright, I learned I was on "Cinco De Noviembre" St., but I didn't know, therefore hesitant on which way to go next - should I head northwards (to my right), or southwards? Ahh, I saw this, so I headed south!
That is the big old house next to the Gaston property (leftwards if you were facing Balay Negrense).

This is a big old ancestral house, but I don't know if it's part of the 31 named by the historical institute.
Whatever the case may be, I also loved looking at this house. Not too grand, but a homey classic just the same. Look at the azotea.., cozy for two to four people on an intimate breakfast or afternoon tea.

Which, they could also do at the foyer below, if need be! Oh hey, those white flowers by the gate smell really good, and its scent disperses a whiff of fragrance in the whole vicinity. I wonder what those are.

The next property after the above old house is even wider in terms of land area, but the house is now newer, though I could sense, it must also have been a grand ancestral abode in the past. Hunch lang!

And then, I was back at Jose Pitong Ledesma St., on its intersection with "Cinco De Noviembre" St.!
Yes, that's a monument to the 'November 5, 1898' historic incident when the people of Silay, led by the six names on that monument, walked from this corner to the Spanish garrison near the church (now a pro-cathedral) and told the gwardya sibil there "we don't like you anymore you make layas na, now na"!

Yes ganun! And they walked towards Talisay for their plan to 'revolt' in Bacolod.

Still in the same corner, diagonally across the monument is the Teodoro Morada Ancestral House.
Hey I noticed, this Morada House resembles the layout of that other ancestral house above that I don't know the name of. Nice one! Oh, facing Morada gate meant I was back at Jose "Pitong" Ledesma St.

Across the Morada Ancestral House is another big old house, but I don't know if also part of the 31.
The unique thing I saw in this house is that there is some kind of a 3rd floor (at left edge, not in photo) but it looks very small for a room, almost like a lookout! Reminds me of the Aguinaldo House in Kawit.

Walked along Jose Pitong Ledesma St. again, heading east to find Rizal St.; crossed Oso Gamboa St.; passed by the Jose Pitong Ledesma Ancestral House, then the Jose Corteza Locsin Ancestral house, diagonally across, ara ang Balay ni Adela hehehe, but I turned right on Valencia St., I do not know why!

Therefore I unknowingly stumbled upon Antonia de la Rama Locsin Ancestral House. What a chance!
The small roofed structure at right is part of Jose Corteza Locsin's backyard - tindahan o bodega yata.

Oh, at this point I didn't know yet about this ancestral house. I was just awe-struck at how it looked
I was amazed at how the owners seem to have painstakingly preserved the extensive use of wood, up and down the house. Aba, that's not easy to do! So I tried 'googling' it and that's how I found its name.

That's how I also found bits of information about Antonia. Like hmn, if she was a spinster, why did she have such a big house? [It's longer to the back than the front width]. Oh okay, inherited it from parents.

Of course, the tsismoso royal self could not help but think... were Antonia and Adela (who lived just a few steps away) close to each other, being both old & single? Birds of the same feather ba, comparing notes and those things hehe! But I answered myself: "no, they came from different generations", yata!

Ah this place, this city.., must be very rich with histories and stories!

Past the house as I walked-on, I still turned around for one last photo. And oh, there is concrete!
The side walls at ground floor are already concreted (to preserve the structure?) though everything up front are still (the original look) made of wood. It must be a challenge maintaining such an old house.

I wonder what else the NHI (NHCP) and/or the NCCA are doing to help the family preserve that house. While it may not be a "bahay na bato" or a "turn-of-the-century-house" like the others, it has distinction of being the oldest in all of Silay and even bigger than some newer ones. Very much worth preserving.

Alright, on to the corner, just next to the above old house, I saw another big wooden old house..,
No idea too if that one is part of the 31 heritage houses tagged by the National Historical Institute or whatever it's called now. But I liked looking at this old house too. It's even wider than the previous one.

It just looks small since it's a little receded down to below the street level when the road was paved.
I really like looking at those big sliding capiz shell windows. I think they're also a mark of being Pinoy.

And the walk continued! I turned left on Figueroa St. so I could reach Rizal St. (the national highway). I noticed, even the house on this corner, and the one beside it before reaching the Mormon Church, are also big old wooden houses - just not as big or grand, and not as well kept as the previous ones I saw.

Reaching the southeastern end of Figueroa St, which is Rizal St. (the highway), I saw that I was in one fairly commercial district, though not that busy yet, because it was early morning. 'Lila Delima' again?!
Yes, it was a 'crossroad dilemma' again.., should I turn left back to where I started (Baldevia Pension)? Or should I turn right, continue walking and exploring, to see what lies ahead? I chose "right", syempre!

Interesting enough.., there were banks, many stores, the DepEd Division office, Silay South Elementary School, a residential compound with new structures, Silay Institute, St. Theresita's Academy, and this..
I could tell from this far, that's the Iglesia Ni Kristo church at the end. No need to go and see it. They're the same shape or color, anywhere in the world. So I stood at this corner a bit.., Lila Delima nanaman!

Yup, at this point, I was like "wala na yatang ancestral/heritage house in this area.., if I go on walking I might reach EB Magalona hahah! So I walked briskly back along Rizal St., passing by the many places I have already seen earlier on this walk and yesterday's, on the way to Baldevia Pension for breakfast.

But just before reaching the Severino Building, I turned left on Mabini St., because I've seen this:
It's a nice-looking ancestral home, well-maintained I must say, but that's the sole pic I could take since three goon-looking men (maybe plainclothes policemen? or bodyguards?) were sternly all eyes at me!

Not sure too if that one is part of the 31 declared heritage houses, since I didn't see a NHI marker. But as you can see, it looks old and grand! The walls (I think) are concrete but designed to look like wood.

I'm not sure about that, but it makes the house look like a real old charm.

What (I think) I was sure of though, was that it is now a house of a politician. First indicator was those "no parking" signs on the street along the entire front of the property. Second indicator was those men outside the gate of that house - big muscular bodies seemingly primed to pounce on me any moment!

On to the corner (Mabini & Hofileña St) I stumbled upon the Jose Benedicto Gamboa Heritage House:
Another beautifully maintained ancestral house! The 4 'gabled dormers' (2 in front and 2 at the back) - a number already thought to be rare in olden times - are evidently well maintained. Even that relatively new garage gate (extreme right of photo), have ornate artwork to jibe with the total look of the house!

Well, a sign of the times (security is important), there are iron screens at ground floor even on the side patio (left). Oh, at the back is a cute 'american-era-like' cottage house! But I'm not sure if it's theirs too!

Now now.., because my attention was on that left side, I naturally looked across the street to this..,
Another big old house that I must say is 'delicate' (in a state of neglect and deterioration) especially at its back portion. It has a similar style/build as the Jose Pitong Ledesma House. But it is now an office of the city's disaster response unit, that surely doesn't have funds to upkeep old-wood walls/windows!

Some windows (right side of the photo, covered by shrubs, plants and trees) are still of the swivel type like I earlier saw at the Silay North Elementary School. But, broken or rotten parts do require attention.

That taller 'house' at left (in the above pic), is back of city hall's annex building, so I went front. This:
That's the façade and main entrance of Silay's seat of government. Yes, now very small for a city hall. Ah, I know they'd eventually do something about it. It surely is now too crowded for their many offices.

Oops! Anyway, it was already about 8AM, I was on my way back to my hotel for breakfast. So I did!

Let's go to the northern towns and cities of Negros Occidental, next.

========================================
 Click the numbers for a chronology of stories:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.


Post a Comment

0 Comments