Arriving Into Silay


I was on my way to some northern towns of Negros Occidental. Of course the easiest way going there was "fly to Bacolod first" - which is actually now a misnomer, because "Bacolod Airport" is in Silay City.

So, I flew to Silay. Ah eh, well okay... to "BCD Airport", which means Bacolod City Airport that is in Silay City! But instead of going to Bacolod City Center for a layover, I opted to stay overnight in Silay City. It is near the airport, and no need to backtrack the next day, for my trip to the northern towns of Negros!

I walked to just-outside of the airport compound and hailed a tricycle to Silay City Center from there.
bacolod-silay airport google map arrival route
It's only about 6 kilometers from the airport to downtown Silay, and the usual mode of transport in this city are tricycles. So I tried that too! But unlike Palawan, tricycles here aren't allowed inside the airport.

So I walked from the arrival area to where those tricycles are found (white circle), just outside the gate of the airport compound. Mind you, that's about 200 meters (green arrow), as you diagonally cross the parking area heading left, to find that gate. If the sun is too hot, or when it rains, follow that blue arrow.

To give you a perspective of that "walking distance", here are pictures I took along the way..,
Bacolod-Silay Airport Parking Area
I was about to exit the parking lot unto the airport-exit road when I turned around to take that photo. If you notice there is a shadow where I stood to click the pic, that is the hut where parking fees are paid.

Of course I didn't pay, I had no vehicle, I was walking! But past that hut, I took this next picture..,
Bacolod-Silay Airport Parking Area Exit Road
The "outside" of this airport compound is after those two coconut trees at the right edge of the photo. The last 2 pictures btw, I took while standing on those yellow dots in that google maps image above.

The ten-minute ride passes through vast sugarcane fields. Negros is/was the country's sugar central.
If you turn left on the first intersection, that road would bring you to the cities of Talisay and Bacolod.

I knew I was in downtown Silay City when the big old ancestral houses started appearing in my views!
heritage house in Silay City
They are called "Heritage Houses", many of them all around the city. Ah, that should be our next topic!

In no time, my tricycle was already passing by the public market. Yes, I was now really in Silay!
Silay City Public Market Façade
I wish to be back in there, one of these days... like many public markets in this country, mornings teem with so many local delicacies on sale. Yep, they also have 'colored' puto and that yummy 'puto lanson'!

By the way.., I got off the tricycle at that very spot, just to take that picture (not knowing I'd see it again early morning of the following day). My hotel was nearby anyway -at an intersection further to the left.

This is that intersection, a very important but easy to find corner for us travelers!
Maria Ledesma Golez Heritage House, Rizal corner Burgos Street, Silay City
That imposing old building is one of the heritage houses (but let's talk about them later). Across it, to the left (not in pic), in another heritage building - is 'Baldevia Pension House', where I stayed overnight.

Let us also talk about that pension house later.

Meanwhile, I'm excited about those heritage houses!

========================================
 Click the numbers for a chronology of stories:
01   02   03   04   05   06   07   08   09   10
11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20
========================================
Or just click "Newer Post" or "Older Post" below.


Post a Comment

0 Comments