The Floating Swimming Pool


We ended with this pic in our previous story, right? The Floating Swimming Pool of Brgy. Cagutsan.
Like us when we arrived, you may now be asking where's the "swimming pool" and how does it "float"?

Well, I was not at all joking when I said THAT is the "floating swimming pool", marked by the two rows of bamboo rafts that act as the two ends of the 'pool'. The distance between them is the pool's length.

Can you see it now? I mean, can you imagine it now?

I know I know.., like I first did, you may now also be thinking "what kind of idiotic gimmick is this"? But when I learned of the real story behind this "floating swimming pool", I felt lumps in my throat, and as if someone or something was wringing my chest ever so tightly, it sent chills to my arms and spine...

Let me first show you "the swimming pool", as I stood at one of its ends (one of the bamboo rafts)..,

As barangay officials (and some kids) tried their best to describe their swimming pool to us, I saw it..
This is how it's supposed to be! I drew those yellow lines according to my understanding of what they told me. Thus, the Floating Olympic Size Swimming Pool! "Floating" since all contraptions are "afloat"!

I suppose you can now imagine it, right? Here's the story...

Children from this place (Sierra Islands) are known to be usual winners of local swimming contests of the city, such as during their division meets. Ikaw man kasi ang tumira sa isla, di ba? Some of the kids even become delegates to the Eastern Visayas Regional Athletic Association (EVRAA) Meet. However, they need constant practice to hone their skills, and there is no swimming pool in Catbalogan for that!

So, one of their teachers thought of making this makeshift swimming pool for that purpose! But mind you, even the whole community could not afford materials to construct that "floating swimming pool". They still needed support from city government to procure those bamboo poles and other materials!

Thus, the "floating swimming pool' was realized, now a training "ground" of their future swimmers!


Where there's a will, there is always a way!

BUT, eto na ang masaya! The "pool" is not always just for serious training of competitive swimmers.
Other kids who are more into rowing than swimming do/can also use the "pool" when no one is doing their laps! Look at that future 'rower', he is even shorter in height than the length of his paddle! But, go!

Even the "young once" can use the pool's "starting platforms" that also serve as "bleachers"!
The manong at left is trying to catch fish for lunch (nangangawil), while that is our boat at the end! Oh, the houses you see far in the background are part of Brgy. Rama, on another island - Canhawan Dako.

I turned around, and here is the other side of this 'bleacher' which also functions as a picnic area..,
As you can see, my companions are being helped by our boatmen and some locals, to setup the food and drinks that we brought, bought from Catbalogan's Pier Uno -- as suggested by our local contacts!

That is the wharf area, breakwater and multi-purpose hall of Brgy. Cagutsan in the background. This:
It is not far. Some kids (and adults) even just swim to and from this 'floating swimming pool' for fun.

Of course there are stores, even eateries or snack bars in there, on dry land, but our contacts thought we could be looking for luxurious gourmet food, that is why they told us to buy from the city center. Eh they did not know, puro "de lata" and "sliced-bread" ang binili namin. I loved our "sardinas sandwhich"! By the way, in this part of Samar, what they call "slice-bread" or "slice" is your "tasty" in Metro Manila.

But.., look at both hands of the manong! OMG.., none of us ever saw this coming...
A fisherman was rowing past us, our boatman called out (jokingly) if he had any extra fish we can buy.

And that 'joke' actually resulted into those two long and even still alive fish! That is what we got! Da!
I didn't quite catch how much we got them for - our accountant took charge of that. But I heard one of our friends when he exclaimed "mas mahal pa an aton tulo nga Purefoods" (corned beef). Imagine?!

They requested the rowing kid to go buy some "uring" (charcoal), and voila.., sugba na dayon!
That's the floor of the pool's starting platform (made of coconut lumber) where we grilled fish on. Da!

I did catch some videos during this visit, so I'll post them here soon!

We watched some of the kids having fun on their "floating swimming pool". They all CAN swim!

The stance alone before they jump, plus the way they swim, you'll notice they have had some training.

They even animatedly regaled us with their gold medal winning moments at the Provincial/City Meets!
Their unanimous point of view.., it is not really about winning medals, they just really enjoy swimming! And they like seeing other places when they compete, meeting other athletes.., and wearing uniforms!

They are just a pride of their place, right?!

The important thing is, this 'training facility' if we can even call it that, is still fun for kids and adults!
And as far as I witnessed, it really looks like kids and adults - even the fish and other creatures of the sea - do enjoy being themselves in this place! I hope all this country's hinter villages could be like this!

I think I have other video clips of the kids (and us) having fun at this place. I'll put them here!

We loved it on this island not known for any touristic attractions (yet). But everything has an end.
At about 4PM, we had to hop back unto our little boat for our two hour return trip to Catbalogan. Argh!

We wanted to stay overnight and watch the sunset that the kids told us is mesmerizingly beautiful at the other side of their village. But we didn't come prepared, and there's no lodging facility in this place.

Maybe next time. At least we have reason to come back, di ba?!

On the boat, I saw this thing and asked my companions about it. A boatman answered me instead..,
He educated us that, as visitors to Sierra Islands, we may not leave anything - if those are not for their communities' benefit. That is why they don't provide trash bins. Hmm, I learned something new again!

Isn't that ecologically sound? Magaling!

Anyway, on our way back to the city, we passed by the white sandy strip of Buri-Baras Beach again..,
From out at sea, the shoreline is clearer in the afternoon, since the sun is behind the camera. Inviting!

And we were back tat the Port of Catbalogan.., Pier Uno at right, and Pier Dos at left..,
Quite a wonderful experience visiting a group of lovely islands not frequented (yet) by many visitors.

And they have a "floating swimming pool"!

I hope to be back. Soon!

Post a Comment

0 Comments