Charge It On Board

In a world where gadgets surround us every minute of our lives, all transport conveyances also try to keep up in giving passengers, the utmost in terms of safety, comfort and convenience. Yes, they do!

Take the case of charging ports (or charging points, receptacles, plugs. saksakan whatever you call it in your language or dialect)! They are now getting to be everywhere (sometimes paid, sometime free) and we rejoice at seeing them (usually to save our day) for renewed energy to our gadgets - whether we are gamers, FB chatters, video addicts or just the plain and common nagkukunwaring executives!

Sometimes though, when we do not often visit a place or not often ride a transport mode, we do not really know that these charging points can actually exist here and there! It's just a matter of knowing, finding, asking where they are. Take the case of airplanes. Did you know most of them have these?!

Okay, still on my Cebu to Manila (premium economy class) PAL flight, there was this...
The ones with little green pin-lights. Those are under every seat beside the life vest container (with red pull-away strips). All you have to do is bend down and make saksak your gadget.., voila, charging na!

Listen to (that means read) my notes below, and you will know why I posted this article...

Bored, I was playing "Bejewelled" on my phone (note: in other bigger aircraft of PAL and many airlines, trains or buses, this is incidentally even a pre-installed game on their entertainment systems). I found out that I was already "lowbatt" (omg, just 1 bar) but I felt too lazy to stand up and get my power bank from my backpack on the overhead bin. Well, my phone's power cord was in my pocket, so I used it!

As I bent down to plug it under my seat, nagkataon naman, a flight steward came passing by and saw me, so he asked "can I help you sir?"! Note too: when flight crews (of PAL, at least) say "can I help you" it does not always mean they really want to help you. Sometimes, like in this case, they actually mean "hey, what do you think you are you doing" as in "hoy hoy hoy, ano ginagawa mo". It is perfectly alright!

Yes, it's alright if you are not doing anything wrong anyway. So, I said "ah okay na, nakasaksak na, just charging my phone". I almost laughed that his face looked a bit alarmed via his eyes that grew a little bit wider obviously in apprehensive surprise. Without saying anything, he bent down to check where I plugged the thing in! After a moment, he stood up smiling and whispered "sir, ni hindi ko alam merong ganyan dyan, taga airline po ba kayo?"! Amused, I shook my head, and, we both like 'giggled' hahaha!

Thus, now that I'm writing my story, I said to my royal highness.., if even the cabin crew (I think he was even CA1) doesn't know that a "saksakan" is available under a premium economy seat, then it follows that many traveling Filipinos do not know it too! Therefore, i-blog na yan, kesa i-#KMJS pa yan hehehe!

And that is why I am posting this story. I hope this helps anyone!

this article was excerpted in full from my Air Travel stories

Post a Comment

0 Comments