San Roque (Northern Samar) Town Center


Hello San Roque! So I said silently but excitedly. Why? Because just like Rosario and San Jose, I did not know that there was a municipality named San Roque in Northern Samar. I have not heard about this locale as a town - especially that it is not usually news-referenced in relation to something or things like storms, a port, a delicacy, an event etc.

Those I learned in 4th grade were only "provinces and capitals"! So hello San Roque!

1 kilometer marker before town center of San Roque Northern Samar
Still a kilometer from town center, I could already sense progress! That kilometer marker is surrounded by big residential houses that ALL double as commercial establishments!

And just a block away from that kilometer marker above, I saw this...
a beautiful big wooden old house in San Roque Northern Samar
Wow what a house! Ground level is already concrete, but the wooden walls upstairs look like still intact. We know they won't last long, but most of the capiz-shell window panels are still there. Namnamin na while they last, take pictures, for those too will decay soon.

We went straight ahead for the municipal hall, and that signage surprised me...
corner approaching the municipal hall with directional signage to the national high school in San Roque Northern Samar
Wasn't I saying yesterday, the DPWH make signage even for daycare centers? Well, that school (at the end of this road to the right), after the church, is probably an exception.

Their 'newly rebuilt' municipal hall. Name not on the building. It's down on ground!
front view from the highway - San Roque Northern Samar Municipal Hall
If you think the roof looks like a multipurpose hall, well, it is! A roof deck activity place. Isn't that practical? Even if there's a newly built one at the back of this building, while they're also making another such building just beside it! Why not? Basta me budget, go!

I was actually wondering why there were too many reconstructions and new things all around town. Even as early as the Maralag bridge, I could see that roofs of many small houses were silvery shining new! Has there been a typhoon here lately? Well, maybe so.

Ah that ruined edifice is surely not because of a present typhoon hehe...
old ruined wooden building at the municipal hall compound of San Roque Northern Samar
That was probably their old/original municipal building? I wonder how it looked in its heyday. It must have been a beautiful wooden house too! You know why I'm guessing it to be the old munisipyo? Because it faces the same direction as the church. Just a hunch!

Oh, I smiled when I saw this big big signboard! Parang sa V&G Tacloban lang...
signboard announcing the coming construction of a senior citizens' building in San Roque Northern Samar
Senior citizens kayo dyan tapos me second floor! Istoryaheeee! I know the tactic though! A friend (civil servant) intimated to me that - since it is a donation (not from their usual budget), LGUs make bigger buildings so they can use the upper floor for other purposes!

This one, I purposedly started my pics from afar (as it looked like the gate of a school)!
street view of the gate to San Roque Parish Church in San Roque Northern Samar

Here it is on a closer version... the gate of San Roque Parish Church!
close up street view of the gate to San Roque Parish Church in San Roque Northern Samar

After the gate, you still can't see the church since there is this... Si San Roque!
an image of St Roch fronting the San Roque Parish Church in San Roque Northern Samar

Finally, this is the frontage of the church... a bit new and I find it attractive!
unobstructed front view of San Roque Parish Church in San Roque Northern Samar

But I saw the wide grass area, so I went there and took this better view. Ganda!
perspective view of San Roque Parish Church in San Roque Northern Samar

Alright, I entered, and this is the interior view from main entrance...
interior view from the main entrance of San Roque Parish Church in San Roque Northern Samar
St. Roche the Healer Parish Church of San Roque Northern Samar. I did not know that. I mean that San Roque pala is St. Roche in English! Well, travel is education, I always say!

And this is the altar. Clean and uncluttered. No excessive "artwork"!
the altar of San Roque Parish Church in San Roque Northern Samar
The altar table has the last supper like in other churches. It's a wood carving this time!

The priest's view. Maaliwalas!
priest's view and choir loft of San Roque Parish Church in San Roque Northern Samar
Even the choir loft is bright. I do wonder why there are images of saints up there too!

I went out by the side exit and saw that "Padre Lucero Hall". Simple and nice.
an activity hall outside the San Roque Parish Church in San Roque Northern Samar
I like it when churches have activity halls, so meetings are not done inside the church.

Anyway, nice roam of San Roque's center of town. I was just so surprised that everywhere I looked there were constructions of new houses or new buildings. I didn't see many old houses like the one above. Many are getting modernized. This town is progressing fast.

Tara, let's go to Pambujan! In my next story!



Post a Comment

0 Comments