Rawis, Laoang

Pronounce that as "lao-ang", not "lawang". That is how this place is called.

From Pambujan (to Rawis), this town is only about 10 kilometers, still on good roads.
part of the highway from Pambujan to Rawis Laoang Northern Samar
The pavement is not new, but still good for a joyride just the same. Like everywhere else I drove by in this province (so far), the road here is still by the beach-dotted ocean coast therefore picturesque too!

After the Camparanga Bridge, I was welcomed into Laoang by that big arch...
Welcome Arch to the municipality of Laoang Northern Samar
But this actually still 7 kilometers to center of town, as that yellow kilometer marker just ahead says.

And speaking of kilometers to town center, I smilingly saw these two intriguing signs...
a kilometer marker and signboard indicating distance to Laoang Northern Samar
Marker (yellow post) says this point is 2kms to town, while the number on the signboard was erased!

Ah! Some 200 meters from the above signage and marker, here comes a very important corner...
highway junction to Catubig and Las Navaas along the Pambujan Laoang road in Norhern Samar
This is where you turn right to Catubig, but no signage here. Well, that's a Petron station on the right.

At least there is this mangled signage that points to Pinipisakan Falls (that's way beyond Catubig)...
mangled signboard indicating direction to Pinipisakan Falls
Their 'order of appearance' is something like: from this corner, Catubig town proper is some 20kms; 10kms more you reach Las Navas proper; another 20+kms is Pinipisakan Falls, then Catubig dam.

So says my driver hehe. I haven't been there, story below :(

Anyway, just a few hundred meters from that corner, I saw this new place. A transport terminal...
a big transport terminal at Rawis, Laoang Northern Samar
It's a big complex, and I wondered why. Then I remembered, Laoang is "end of the road", so okay, fine!

Another surprise after the transport terminal. I saw this solitary edifice in the middle of nothing!
a newly built Metrobank Branch in Rawis Laoang Northern Samar
This is still more than a kilometer from Rawis! Though just about a hundred meters from the gate of that transport terminal, this is still far from any "kabihasnan"! Ah, maybe this area is being developed to become some kind of a commercial district - which would probably mean, Metrobank has 'insider information' so they wanted to pioneer establishing presence in order to capture the market. Maybe!

See?! The bank has no neighbors (yet). Those few houses are the nearest. Maybe soon they'll sprout!
Oh, btw, not clear on this photo, but that yellow post (kilometer marker) at right is buried too deep on earth that only the top portion can be seen (KM787). This is probably just another proof that those who "implanted" it there (DPWH people, who else), do not understand nor even know what it is for. Well, judging from previous sightings, we don't know anyway, if that marker has correct info, right?!

Here's another pic I took of a signage, but (I expected this) it came out unreadable hehe!
I remember what it said anyway... it's a "Motherhouse" of the Missionary Sisters of the Poor. I guess that would be the house/s with colored flags. I think they are the same with "MC" - Missionaries of Charity? Yung suot Mother Teresa? Anyway, important thing is they are also in this place, to help!

Eto na! Here is a "sighting" that I am not sure if funny or rant-worthy!
When we were still some distance to this.., ah, edifice... I thought this was some house with a waiting shed attached to it. And I thought how kind of the owner to the riding public, so I readied to take a pic.

But when we were in front of it, I realized it is a "chapel" pala! OMG look! Partially covered by the electric post (follow the red arrow) is their patron saint with the lower half of its body inside the red roof! Why would anyone do that? Hindi naman disrespectful, pangit lang! Oi Padre, do something!

Oasis. A "memorable" gas station I will probably remember for some time about Rawis.
I did not know, nor I have I heard a gas station named "Oasis". It sounds more like a restobar to me.

The story goes like this...
While I was already on the road, my Laoang contact txtd me that he would be going to Rawis to meet me, so I won't have to cross the river by boat from Rawis to Laoang proper. In the same message he said "sa Oasis na lang sir". I said yes, thinking Oasis might be a cafe or even a hotel. Gas station pala!

So here I was, in a gas station, waiting for my Laoang contact to arrive...
I looked around and was surprised why a "hubo" little boy was in this gas station on a hot humid day - and look, he was holding the hose of that nozzle! My driver guessed he is the son of a gas attendant.

And this truck that loading gas bears the name of the gas station, so I curiously went near it...
Wha! They were not pumping gas into the truck but unto containers loaded on it! Why and what for? I could not ask as that dude in blue seemed to be not in a good mood. Mukhang aburido, nagdadabog! While that manong driver in black was so busy he kept darting from that truck to all directions hehe.

Anyway, since we were already there, and we were almost out of gas, we too loaded up...
Besides, staff kept glancing, as if asking what were we doing in their place, and I was like looking at everything! Plus my driver was not also sure if the new Petron at the junction was already operational.

But that was not the "memorable" part about this gas station. The thing is, since my Laoang contact opted to meet me here, I did not have a chance to cross the river and see the central part of town :(

Anyway I walked with him going to the docks, so I could see it for myself...
This was not a short walk btw! I think this is probably about 500 meters from Oasis to the river bank.

So this is the riverbank of Barangay Rawis, Laoang Northern Samar. Across is the town proper...
the riverbank/beach in Rawis where boats depart/arrive to/from Laoang Northern Samar
Some meters to the left is a beach that is the edge of Rawis, and also the mouth of this Catubig river.

Those are the kinds of boats that ply this river crossing. Some can accommodate motorcycles!
boats plying the river crossing from Rawis to Laoang Northern Samar
There are bigger barge types (also made of wood) that can load cars, even bigger vehicles like vans and trucks, but need prior arrangement, takes a lot of time just to be able to cross, AND expensive!

Too near yet too far. You see that big red roof? That is the historic church of Laoang...
the church and some residential houses across the river as seen from the dirty riverbank of Rawis in Laoang Northern Samar
BTW, all who go to town center, pass by (walk) on this beach, and see/smell those trash on the left.

Did I hear you say "bridge"? Haha! I asked around and most everyone told me "it's a very long story"...
boats in Rawis Laoang Northern Samar
The red arrow above? There's a wooden bridge there - that is from Rawis (right) to Brgy. Talisay (left) which is an islet. From there, the town is supposed to have built a bridge that would connect to main island Laoang which is just a very short span. Why hasn't there been a bridge until now? Politicians!

When I asked further about their comment of "politicians", none except one answered with a quote saying "where there's a will, there's a way"! Hmm, apparently there is a will, and that staunch will is to ensure no bridge is built! One told me to just dig up "The Simora Project" and I would know everything.

Hmm.., I smell something. Okay, I'll ask around about "The Simora Project".

Post a Comment

0 Comments