The Cute Little Pigs (Lechon Bread) Again
I saw them again this afternoon...
I'm not sure (yet) if Lechon Bread really started in Cebu. However, I can attest there are more bakeries on this island that sell them, than anywhere else in this country.I can't even comment as to how they taste because I have not tried them even once!
I can only guess they all taste like the other big bread loaves - bland on purpose - so that they may be good partners with coffee or softdrinks - with or without palaman!
A friend told me once, that they don't at all taste anywhere near or like a real lechon. He said it is only the shape that looks like lechon (called inasal by true-blue Bisdaks).
Why didn't/don't I try them then? Well, for a simple reason that I myself can't believe - they're too big than a normal loaf, that I surely won't be able to finish in one sitting.
By the way, those were fresh from the oven a counter girl was putting on display. She noticed me taking pictures so she proudly nudged that tray to another angle for me!That was sweet of that tindera. Of course she said palit na, sir but I said picture lang!
Oy FYI, in the course of my asking around for a time now, I learned of a funny - if not even touching - twist to how people especially the have nots consume lechon bread.
I haven't actually seen one yet but it's said that some families or groups who cannot afford the real lechon put Lechon Bread instead, during their parties or celebrations.
All for the Cebuano's love affair with Lechon!
I'm not sure (yet) if Lechon Bread really started in Cebu. However, I can attest there are more bakeries on this island that sell them, than anywhere else in this country.I can't even comment as to how they taste because I have not tried them even once!
I can only guess they all taste like the other big bread loaves - bland on purpose - so that they may be good partners with coffee or softdrinks - with or without palaman!
A friend told me once, that they don't at all taste anywhere near or like a real lechon. He said it is only the shape that looks like lechon (called inasal by true-blue Bisdaks).
Why didn't/don't I try them then? Well, for a simple reason that I myself can't believe - they're too big than a normal loaf, that I surely won't be able to finish in one sitting.
By the way, those were fresh from the oven a counter girl was putting on display. She noticed me taking pictures so she proudly nudged that tray to another angle for me!That was sweet of that tindera. Of course she said palit na, sir but I said picture lang!
Oy FYI, in the course of my asking around for a time now, I learned of a funny - if not even touching - twist to how people especially the have nots consume lechon bread.
I haven't actually seen one yet but it's said that some families or groups who cannot afford the real lechon put Lechon Bread instead, during their parties or celebrations.
All for the Cebuano's love affair with Lechon!
#CentralVisayas #lechonbread #cebufood
Comments
Post a Comment