Tacloban to Ormoc to Cebu Sights and Scenes 140503
Here I go again. I have told you stories of traveling between Tacloban and Ormoc on my way to Cebu (yes plural, like here, here & here) , and I won't ever get tired doing so.
That's because, it somehow is different each time. There are even sights and scenes where I get to see (at times shoot pics and vids), of what you might call a time-lapse!
Of course, as I've said many times, there are always new things, even if it is the very same road that I keep passing, on the very same mode of transport that I keep riding.
So here I go (again)...
And I said to my royal self: hmm, in case I want to ride the Ceres bus from Tacloban to Davao that's where I would find them. Along the kabagwakan across Camella Homes!
I wonder why they're there. In fact, (I think) that may not even be Tacloban anymore. Yes, it's by the boundary, and (I think) it is already part of Palo. Noted agad anyway!
That reminded me.., Ormoc Bus Terminal is across the fastcraft port. Convenient!
Imagine that, new information again, because I keep traveling. Sige, lalaag pa more!
Why is that? Ah, even before Yolanda, this portion of the highway near the boundary of Tacloban and Palo, had already been a developinig crossroads for many reasons.
For one, this is where many would enter the (regional) 'government center' - e.g., that white and green fence at left is BIR; where that motorbike faces is 'Pisay' and DOST.
All the way in there (left) until you reach MacArthur's Landing Memorial are regional offices of government agencies; that blue edifice is Leyte Academic Center and DTI.
After that, bandang unahan si Andok's. At right, starting to rise back up, are the twin Petron Gas Stations (di ko pa rin alam bakit dalawa sila dyan, and if "singularly owned"!
Where that green multicab came from is Campetic Road (Palo), at the end of which is the Police Regional Office 8 (meron din kulungan doon). I was just there yesterday! Nice to note that they're improving, even widening that road, because along the way, there is a rapidly-growing tertialy school (SPSBL). I also "peeped" in there yesterday!
There was a graduation ceremony that invited my curiousity. I watched a bit. Mainit! It wasn't an ideal ceremony time and/or place, but I guess they had no other choice.
Anyway, as I said above..,
Especially that many are rebuilding after Yolanda, this corner of the national hi-way (Brgy. Pawing?) is busier. It is getting to be some kind of a 'central business district'.
Basta, mark my word, it will soon proliferate with commercial establishments.
But seriously, a glimpse at the ruins of the once imposing Pedrosa House again...I'll never get tired of glancing at it everytime I pass by this corner - that's all we could do now, or forever - as if expecting it will suddenly 'resurrect' into its captivating past.
Oh well, here's another running-view of the fast-recovering Palo Cathedral...
I immediately noticed the roofworks progress (compared to two months ago).
Oy at aba! Nasa church grounds ang bubuyog nagtitinda ng langhap sarap o!
And like yesterday.., I also had a passing glimpse of the municipal hall... Every time I pass by this part of the national road I always ask myself: Kelan pa kaya ako makaka-pasyal to really roam around this place? Lagi na lang ba tayo "passing-by"?
I will find time, sometime soon, I will!
Moving on anyway, about 2kms from the munisipyo, the archbishop's palace area...That is one big 'thank you' tarpaulin. So, just as I suspected and observed (here and here), they too, suffered badly. But many helped, reason they are thanking everyone.
Isa pa yan. I also wonder as to when I can have a go-see of that serene holy place.
As I said in previous stories, my best indicator are the roofs...
Anything new or being rebuilt, almost always means they're rising from Yolanda...
This school we have seen before, is a showcase of help coming from everywhere.
Many of the names and logos aren't even common to me who's already a roamer.
But there are too many schools affected. Feeling ko lahat nga yata in the region!
Harvest coming, but only for a few farmers, who are also now trying to rebuild...
Uneven colors of ricefields indicate something went wrong. Did you know that?
That usually means farmers had to save or salvage what they still could...
The coconuts of Capoocan and Kananga are no exception. Parang new hairdo!
Not sure if true, but I heard farmers say "those won't bear good fruit anymore"...
Those "serious farmers" say "better to just cut them now and plant new coconuts"...
Meanwhile, as before Yolanda, the mode of transport for many, is still "funny fun"!
Sugarcane and bananas were also levelled - though it revealed great views.Ormoc Airport is there (at the end of that road). Oy, nagamit sya for relief operations!
At least part of it. It seems to say Pres. Obama thank you I salute you? or something like that?! Whatever, it amused me and my fellow passengers anyway - nakaka-aliw!
Aw, depending on who you are, you can interpret that 'display' in many way. Joke or not, I can say it comes from a Pinoy predilection to being grateful (mapasalamatin).
Did you notice that among us Pinoys? We quickly and that easily express our thanks to anyone who helps, even just a little. Sa ibang bansa, they even demand for "help".
Often, pagalit pa, di ba? Mga Karen kasi sila!
Aw, that merits a lengthy discussion. Culture na yan, 'di na travel yan. So, bahala na you pag-nilayan yan. As for the flag, some may call it a joke, but I think me hugot yan.
Let's proceed.
Another notable note:
When requested by any passenger, the GrandTours van goes straight to the seaport first, before proceeding to it's own terminal at corner Rizal and Carlos Tan, Sr. Streets.
It is never the other way around. Once they reach their terminal, that's the final stop.
How did I discover that? Kanina, when I and others alighted at the port, some fellow passengers remained on board. So I asked I the driver, who readily educated me so!
Like that pala diay iton! Nice di ba? Kung sana ganun din sa Tacloban city to airport hehehe!
Anyway, I was taking the 7:30PM fastcraft to Cebu. It was only 3:30PM, but I got off and purchased my ticket na, so I can roam and/or make tambay at the nearby areas.
I wanted to ask but the staff at that store looked busy and unapproachable, so I just went on walking with my brain spinning as to 'what really was that' that I've just read.
There are just so many things in the world that I do not know. How much more kung nasa bahay lang ako na nakatunganga 'no?! Traveling, roaming around is education.
Everything is a lesson.
Like chicken fat is a lesson learned. Na ano? That now I know, that I don't know that! And until now, I still don't know. At least now I know that I don't know that! Gets mo?
Wala kasi sa google ang "tambok sa manok"!
Is that the "chicken oil" of Bacolod and Iloilo? Daw indi ah! Kay ginakilo ho! Kag P15 lang ang isa ka kilo. Ano gid na man man man?
Oh, I recalled I wondered then, as to what would become of that building. So I asked an old woman walking-by. She said she wasn't sure, but maybe it is now a museum.
Excited, I was about to go there. But looking at the sky, she continued to tell me that it may have already 'closed for the day', as it was almost sunset. Aw, oo nga naman!
Okay, thanking her, I instead crossed the road, snubbed the park this time, and went to the church, which, in the first place, was the primary reason I walked to this area!
Now now.., I just remembered that sometime ago, a friend told me of an 'additional' historical fact about this church: 'it was raided and ruined by Rajah Bongsu in 1634'.
Yes, Rajah Bongsu aka Sultan Wasit or Sultan Muwallil Wasit, who is/was known to be descended from the same bloodline as that of the Brunei royal family. Hero sya!
Pandagdag sa listahan ng "sino ba talaga ang bayani na dapat ipag-bunyi at tularan"!
Anyway, 5PM, time to relax while waiting for my departure, at...
Medyo crowded kasi si Lorenzo's Cafe and Grill - syempre Saturday afternoon eh!I said "crowded", not really "full" - many tables for 4 or more were occupied by just 1 or 2 you'd have to "share" table space of those na nauna if you really want to stay there.
Just like that group of 6 waiting for an outside table to be available.
Thus, ayan, as if I owned this "room" where I was - kasi ako lang ang customer! FYI, that was not my idea. It was suggested by the crews over at Lorenzo's, that was readily accommodated by the folks of Sutuwaki - who were already on siesta mode!
This was where I learned that, both establishments are sister companies - owned by one and the same family. And yes, you may 'order from any or both' of these places!
Aw, it was not just me. In no time, I saw that the spillover customers from Lorenzo's Cafe and Grill were being asked to occupy the ground floor table (only) of Sutuwaki.
I stayed there until 7PM when I strolled (about 25 meters yan) to board my fastcraft.
Aw, it was the same fastcraft ride all over again - and in the darkness of the sea. So I stayed in my seat the whole time and snoozed like all other fellow passengers did!
Nice experience.
That's because, it somehow is different each time. There are even sights and scenes where I get to see (at times shoot pics and vids), of what you might call a time-lapse!
Of course, as I've said many times, there are always new things, even if it is the very same road that I keep passing, on the very same mode of transport that I keep riding.
So here I go (again)...
Ceres Bus Terminal in Tacloban?
Exiting out of Tacloban, the Grand Tours van passed along its usual route - Avenida Rizal, to EVSU, to Holy Infant College, then out to the Maharlika Highway. Then this:Aha! The Ceres Buses! Yes yes, the bus livery says Bachelor Tours - that we know is Vallacar transport's line that goes Mindanao and/or Manila - that, we still call Ceres!And I said to my royal self: hmm, in case I want to ride the Ceres bus from Tacloban to Davao that's where I would find them. Along the kabagwakan across Camella Homes!
I wonder why they're there. In fact, (I think) that may not even be Tacloban anymore. Yes, it's by the boundary, and (I think) it is already part of Palo. Noted agad anyway!
How about Ceres in Ormoc?
Oh, when I took that (blurry) photo, my GrandTours driver asked if I planned of going Mindanao. I said yes, and he told me those buses also wait at Ormoc Bus Terminal.That reminded me.., Ormoc Bus Terminal is across the fastcraft port. Convenient!
Imagine that, new information again, because I keep traveling. Sige, lalaag pa more!
A new CBD of Palo?
About 1 kilometer from Camella, we reached and turned right at this corner of Palo.For those not familiar, I have actually described things around this getting significant corner of Palo in a number of my stories like here. Its becoming a bustling landmark.Why is that? Ah, even before Yolanda, this portion of the highway near the boundary of Tacloban and Palo, had already been a developinig crossroads for many reasons.
For one, this is where many would enter the (regional) 'government center' - e.g., that white and green fence at left is BIR; where that motorbike faces is 'Pisay' and DOST.
All the way in there (left) until you reach MacArthur's Landing Memorial are regional offices of government agencies; that blue edifice is Leyte Academic Center and DTI.
After that, bandang unahan si Andok's. At right, starting to rise back up, are the twin Petron Gas Stations (di ko pa rin alam bakit dalawa sila dyan, and if "singularly owned"!
Where that green multicab came from is Campetic Road (Palo), at the end of which is the Police Regional Office 8 (meron din kulungan doon). I was just there yesterday! Nice to note that they're improving, even widening that road, because along the way, there is a rapidly-growing tertialy school (SPSBL). I also "peeped" in there yesterday!
There was a graduation ceremony that invited my curiousity. I watched a bit. Mainit! It wasn't an ideal ceremony time and/or place, but I guess they had no other choice.
Anyway, as I said above..,
Especially that many are rebuilding after Yolanda, this corner of the national hi-way (Brgy. Pawing?) is busier. It is getting to be some kind of a 'central business district'.
Basta, mark my word, it will soon proliferate with commercial establishments.
Poblacion Palo
Downtown or poblacion or center of town is still the same - from yesterday hehehe! Eh sa kahapon lang ako dumaan dito e, paano mag-iiba yan that significantly, di ba?But seriously, a glimpse at the ruins of the once imposing Pedrosa House again...I'll never get tired of glancing at it everytime I pass by this corner - that's all we could do now, or forever - as if expecting it will suddenly 'resurrect' into its captivating past.
Oh well, here's another running-view of the fast-recovering Palo Cathedral...
I immediately noticed the roofworks progress (compared to two months ago).
Oy at aba! Nasa church grounds ang bubuyog nagtitinda ng langhap sarap o!
And like yesterday.., I also had a passing glimpse of the municipal hall... Every time I pass by this part of the national road I always ask myself: Kelan pa kaya ako makaka-pasyal to really roam around this place? Lagi na lang ba tayo "passing-by"?
I will find time, sometime soon, I will!
Moving on anyway, about 2kms from the munisipyo, the archbishop's palace area...That is one big 'thank you' tarpaulin. So, just as I suspected and observed (here and here), they too, suffered badly. But many helped, reason they are thanking everyone.
Isa pa yan. I also wonder as to when I can have a go-see of that serene holy place.
Scenes of Rising Up
After Palo, from Sta. Fe all the way until Ormoc (many I already saw in previous trips), everything is a scene of devastation, BUT starting to pick up the pieces and rebuild.As I said in previous stories, my best indicator are the roofs...
Anything new or being rebuilt, almost always means they're rising from Yolanda...
This school we have seen before, is a showcase of help coming from everywhere.
Many of the names and logos aren't even common to me who's already a roamer.
But there are too many schools affected. Feeling ko lahat nga yata in the region!
Harvest coming, but only for a few farmers, who are also now trying to rebuild...
Uneven colors of ricefields indicate something went wrong. Did you know that?
That usually means farmers had to save or salvage what they still could...
The coconuts of Capoocan and Kananga are no exception. Parang new hairdo!
Not sure if true, but I heard farmers say "those won't bear good fruit anymore"...
Those "serious farmers" say "better to just cut them now and plant new coconuts"...
Meanwhile, as before Yolanda, the mode of transport for many, is still "funny fun"!
Sugarcane and bananas were also levelled - though it revealed great views.Ormoc Airport is there (at the end of that road). Oy, nagamit sya for relief operations!
A short Ormoc look-around
An American flag
The van arrived about 3:30PM, and this flag caught my eyes as we entered the city.I clicked the camera too early. The van was fast that caused me to overestimate my shot. When I tried a 2nd take, we were already past the house. Well, I can still read it.At least part of it. It seems to say Pres. Obama thank you I salute you? or something like that?! Whatever, it amused me and my fellow passengers anyway - nakaka-aliw!
Aw, depending on who you are, you can interpret that 'display' in many way. Joke or not, I can say it comes from a Pinoy predilection to being grateful (mapasalamatin).
Did you notice that among us Pinoys? We quickly and that easily express our thanks to anyone who helps, even just a little. Sa ibang bansa, they even demand for "help".
Often, pagalit pa, di ba? Mga Karen kasi sila!
Aw, that merits a lengthy discussion. Culture na yan, 'di na travel yan. So, bahala na you pag-nilayan yan. As for the flag, some may call it a joke, but I think me hugot yan.
Let's proceed.
Another notable note:
When requested by any passenger, the GrandTours van goes straight to the seaport first, before proceeding to it's own terminal at corner Rizal and Carlos Tan, Sr. Streets.
It is never the other way around. Once they reach their terminal, that's the final stop.
How did I discover that? Kanina, when I and others alighted at the port, some fellow passengers remained on board. So I asked I the driver, who readily educated me so!
Like that pala diay iton! Nice di ba? Kung sana ganun din sa Tacloban city to airport hehehe!
Anyway, I was taking the 7:30PM fastcraft to Cebu. It was only 3:30PM, but I got off and purchased my ticket na, so I can roam and/or make tambay at the nearby areas.
Tambok sa manok
Now this while walking the streets in the merkado area heading towards the church:Of course I perfectly understand what that means. But what do people in Ormoc do with "chicken fat", and from which specific portion of a chicken do they get it from?I wanted to ask but the staff at that store looked busy and unapproachable, so I just went on walking with my brain spinning as to 'what really was that' that I've just read.
There are just so many things in the world that I do not know. How much more kung nasa bahay lang ako na nakatunganga 'no?! Traveling, roaming around is education.
Everything is a lesson.
Like chicken fat is a lesson learned. Na ano? That now I know, that I don't know that! And until now, I still don't know. At least now I know that I don't know that! Gets mo?
Wala kasi sa google ang "tambok sa manok"!
Is that the "chicken oil" of Bacolod and Iloilo? Daw indi ah! Kay ginakilo ho! Kag P15 lang ang isa ka kilo. Ano gid na man man man?
Old Municipal Building
I wasn't looking for this. I just happened to pass behind, and nice seeing it anyway.I have already described that edifice in 2010. But nice to see that it remained rigidly intact despite Yolanda's fury. Only the tent-like addition on the roof got ripped away.Oh, I recalled I wondered then, as to what would become of that building. So I asked an old woman walking-by. She said she wasn't sure, but maybe it is now a museum.
Excited, I was about to go there. But looking at the sky, she continued to tell me that it may have already 'closed for the day', as it was almost sunset. Aw, oo nga naman!
Okay, thanking her, I instead crossed the road, snubbed the park this time, and went to the church, which, in the first place, was the primary reason I walked to this area!
Ormoc Church
Opo, ito talaga ang pakay ko - The Saints Peter & Paul Parish Church of Ormoc City. Still looking good. Hindi napurohan ni Yolanda. Buti naman. I also already described this church on that 2010 visit, remember? I like "not so huge" churches like this one.Now now.., I just remembered that sometime ago, a friend told me of an 'additional' historical fact about this church: 'it was raided and ruined by Rajah Bongsu in 1634'.
Yes, Rajah Bongsu aka Sultan Wasit or Sultan Muwallil Wasit, who is/was known to be descended from the same bloodline as that of the Brunei royal family. Hero sya!
Pandagdag sa listahan ng "sino ba talaga ang bayani na dapat ipag-bunyi at tularan"!
Anyway, 5PM, time to relax while waiting for my departure, at...
Sutuwaki Vida Lounge
A good restaurant (for lunch/diner), but I didn't dream to be here today at 5PM hehe!Medyo crowded kasi si Lorenzo's Cafe and Grill - syempre Saturday afternoon eh!I said "crowded", not really "full" - many tables for 4 or more were occupied by just 1 or 2 you'd have to "share" table space of those na nauna if you really want to stay there.
Just like that group of 6 waiting for an outside table to be available.
Thus, ayan, as if I owned this "room" where I was - kasi ako lang ang customer! FYI, that was not my idea. It was suggested by the crews over at Lorenzo's, that was readily accommodated by the folks of Sutuwaki - who were already on siesta mode!
This was where I learned that, both establishments are sister companies - owned by one and the same family. And yes, you may 'order from any or both' of these places!
Aw, it was not just me. In no time, I saw that the spillover customers from Lorenzo's Cafe and Grill were being asked to occupy the ground floor table (only) of Sutuwaki.
I stayed there until 7PM when I strolled (about 25 meters yan) to board my fastcraft.
Aw, it was the same fastcraft ride all over again - and in the darkness of the sea. So I stayed in my seat the whole time and snoozed like all other fellow passengers did!
Nice experience.
#EasternVisayas #TravelPhilippines #OrmocCity
Comments
Post a Comment