Airport Hotel (Novotel)


My home while in Taipei - well, technically Taoyuan City (where the airport is), but it's just like with us at home - we say "pupunta ako ng Manila", even if it's really Pasay, Pasig or Cavite that you're going to!
But that is not my picture ha?! I just grabbed it from their website (I hope they won't mind) because it is not easy to photograph the façade from down at ground level, due to so many big trees in the area.

What I wanted to emphasize with that photo is the little grey block of a building at left, between the 2 big structures. That is the entrance going down to Airport MRT Station 14a. Isn't that very convenient? And mind you, MRT Station 14a actually bears the name 'Airport Hotel Station' - referring to this hotel.

Aw, I do have a picture of the façade, which unfortunately, I only remembered to do so on an evening!

And this is part of the hotel's lobby. Their front desk (not in photo), is to the right of this picture...
Inside that dark glass wall at right (it is actually dark blue) is what they call the Q Bar. I like it in there! Of a couple of nights I was in there, I've had no chance to take pics -bwisita eh, ako ang pinipiktyuran!

Left edge of the same picture above, is the main restaurant of the hotel called The Square. That is the restaurant I earlier mentioned, outside of which is the walkway (w/ smoking area), to MRT Station 14a.
See that? The restaurant is behind those gray posts at right, while the MRT is over at that end. See the ashtray too! You can sit on that "ledge" beside it or anywhere along those plant/flower islands at left!

Let's enter that restaurant, since that is where most buffet and/or 'a la carte' meals are served...
Before entering The Square for the first time, I browsed at a number of art pieces tastefully displayed at various corners of the lobby (some are on sale). That sculpture of 'a dog shaking hands with a giant panda' caught my attetion. It is titled "Friends", and the piece description is both inspiring and satiric!

It mentions courage, civility and optimism in the global world. The dog (with left hand behind) exudes utmost confidence, shaking hands with a big panda (w/ scissors on its left hand, also hidden behind)!

You may interpret that as anything, but to me, the dog is Taiwan and the panda is "mainland" haha!

Anyway, let us go to my views while already seated inside the restaurant.

I sat facing the entrance (over at that end after the girl), that's the lobby (where I came from).
The 'window' at right is a glass wall facing the pathway to the MRT mentioned above (a smoking area)!

It's an open kitchen by the way, where behind the buffet islands, you see the chefs prepare your food! Take note of their wooden floor. Those are not just simple strips. There are butterfly-like leaf designs!

Okay, and my food started arriving! This is the hefty appetizer, with my Corona beer - 'alang SML dito!
I can't remember what salad that is. Also forgot to take a photo of the menu. Basta, mga halaman yan!

Main course, bla bla blah ribs in whatever whatever sauce! Basta marasarap, that is all I can say!
They may look 'not much' in photos, but the servings are actually more than ideal for me, eh matakaw na ako nyan, ha?! The restaurant by the way has more western-style food than Chinese, na meron din!

Let us go up to see my room, shall we? Let's go!

Reaching the 6th floor, I turned around to see that the elevator door and walls are like mirrors...
Can you even understand what you see? Hint: the 2 elevator doors are in that picture! You see them?

All that you see above are a reflection of this, the elevator lobby, dominated by a red glass wall.
While at ground level colors are "earthly subdued", up here, I'm not sure I am used to the "loudness"!

And the hallway to the rooms is thick carpet of another color combination. Artsy but makes me dizzy!
This reminds me of Hotel Indigo that is awash with vivid colors all over, although they are not related.

Hotel Indigo is an IHG (International Hotel Group) member, while Novotel is part of the Accor Group of hotels. Oh well, maybe that is the color trend nowadays? Loud, vivid, dizzying hues and designs hehe!

I said to my self "I'm okay with those kinds of colors, as long as my room is bright and airy". And voila!
I was not disappointed! Just open that curtain and it's a floor-to-ceiling glass window, overlooking the airport complex - where you could watch the many planes taxiing about - as I have earlier requested!

And it's not noisy - because the edge of Runway 05R is far to the right and Runway 05L is to the left.
So, all planes that pass by this vicinity are in a 'taxi mode' - meaning the engines are not in 'full blast'.

There are 9 floors (more than 500 rooms), and I also requested to be on 6th floor for even less noise.
There's a 'belief' (that I subscribe to) among frequent travelers saying that: for hotel buildings near an airport, the higher floors would be more prone to aircraft takeoff or landing engine noises, since lower floors are protected by the 'airport noise barriers' that are installed at ground level. That is THE belief!

No scientific proof (yet) on that belief. Besides, buildings too, now have their own sound-proofing!

Anyway, my 'soundproofed' Room 604 looked like this on entry. I'm sure other rooms are similar!
I loved the views to the apron, taxiway and runway - I just wished that lounging sofa would be easy to let face to the outside. Or better if there's no backrest. Or can I have just two chairs instead of a sofa?!

My bed... I think this is a double or queen size... just good enough for me, na walang katabi!
That diffused white light surrounding the headboard is good for reading or tending to your notebook and/or phone while in bed, instead of the dedicated reading lights on each side. But it's so 'lungonic'!

Do you know what is "lungonic". Ah if you don't, you better add it to your 'global vocabulary'! It comes from the root word lungón of Ilonggo, Bisaya, Waray origins -'kabaong' in Tagalog or 'coffin' in English!

How so and why so? Well, look at the picture again. Imagine nakahiga ka at napapalibutan ng ganyang ilaw. Ano'ng feeling? Mura bitaw ka'g naa sud sa lungon! Oo baga ka hin napahuway na ha kadayonan!

Jusko maria santisima hahaha! So ayan, that's why I call it "lungonic" setup or situation hehe heheee!

Other than that, especially if viewed from the window side where day light enters, it is a nice bed.
The room feels airy and day-bright. Aw, do take note of that glass wall at left, we'll talk about it later!

The room is actually cozily simple, not many loud out-of-this-world colors. Ah natural wood as accent!
Even the writing desk is simple. Too simple in fact, that it now looks/feels like one of the newer brand of boutique or business hotels like HIE (Holiday Inn Express) -limited services/amenities but cheaper.

Simple and uncomplicated, that desk still comes full with the usual 'what-have-yas' for us, the guests.
Let's describe and partly comment on most everything in front of that bed, just for clarity. See below:
The upper-left of that collage of photos is the entire desk area with a flat screen TV on the wall. There is an arrow pointing down to a zoomed pic of the stationery, food/TV menus and remote control, etc.

They're all standing on a rack by the wall, which saves space. At other hotels (luxury 5-stars or not) all those would be laid flat on a desk, arranged as if at a tradeshow kiosk! At times even at several desks.

There's another red arrow pointing to the right - which is a zoomed pic of the desk itself with nothing but just my room cardkey, eyeglasses, cigarettes and passport. It was clean and empty when I arrived.

Then there's another arrow pointing from the desk to a zoomed pic of the gadget peripherals that are all on the room's wall. That is now common among many high-end hotels, even if they are not 5-stars!

Good! I prefer rooms with clean desks, than with ornate tables cluttered with announcements or ads!

The room's telephone (landline) is on a bedside table, complete with a writing pad and a pencil. Cool!
The note below the writing pad is an introductory note from my room attendant, Julie. Admirable, 'no?

Yes cool. Not unique but good enough gesture. At other hotels I've been to, no pre-printed forms. The staff just write their message on the first page of the note pad itself. Yun ang mas me personal touch!

On the other side table, there's just the alarm clock - with a USB charging port! Isn't that apt? There is enough space, you can put your phone there, and use the alarm clock to charge your gadget. Aliw 'no?
I also like those 'labeled' oversized bedside switches for the lights, etc. They're stylishly modern. Nice!

I do like that "cue card", though not unique as many hotels do that too. It says "ipatong mo iyang card na yan sa unan mo, kung gusto mo palitan na nila agad ang linens (bedsheet, etc.)". Otherwise, they'll not do it until the 3rd day. That's their way of saving on water, to save on costs yet it helps our planet.

Aw, I enjoin you, dear fellow Pinoy Travelers, to read those 'cue cards' or 'reminder cards', especially if it is your first time in a hotel. You won't only help our dear earth, it may also save you from kahihiyan!

Eto.., trivia na maritess pa:
I know of one who claims to be a vlogger (hindi blogger tulad ko, alam nyo na ang diff nyan, right?) - siya iyong tipong nakapunta lang ng Bangkok once, at nag-check-in lang sa ganito ganyang hotel, aba sa video, ang taas ng confidence, "How To Go Around Bangkok And Where To Stay" na agad ang banat!

Hindi man lang "my first time to ride an airplane" or "my first time to use a passport" or "my first time out of da pilipins"! Pero sige okay na yan, ibigay na natin sa kanya yan! But she said something "foul".

In her video, she complained that her hotel didn't even change the beddings for the duration of their 3D2N stay. Ang sablay, her video showed a shot of their room everytime they left. Kita on the 2nd day that when they left, they didn't put the card on the bed (as per instructions on that card). Ganun nga!

Hindi nagbasa, hindi binasa, so hindi alam ang dapat gawin, tapos ang lakas ng loob umangal sa vlog nya. Eh 'yours truly' is a club member of that hotel. Aba eh, tinawagan ko at sinabihan sila na tanga si vlogger! Next I learned, hotel called vlogger saying they will sue her if she does not remove her video!

Ayun, she's not on youtube anymore, pero parang tiktoker pa rin si buruhang di nagbabasa hehe!

Anyway, balik tayo sa Taiwan at ang topic natin ay si Novotel at Taoyuan International Airport!
That was my room keycard. They always give you two (even if you're alone). Accidentally, I now have a collection of such cards because the more reputable hotels do not take those cards back when guests check out. They don't even charge for lost cards. Samantala sa atin, alams na! Pangit na, me bayad pa!

In the past, I would usually throw those cards away. But a friend told me to give her such cards when I wanted to rid of them. I asked why. She said she was making it a collection. Ok ah. So ayun, ginaya ko!

Here's the other of my two cards, doing its purpose by the door to provide power to the entire room.
The door, by the way, is another area of a hotel room that I always check - not just for those breakfast menus or the 'do not disturb' signs but if the locking mechanisms are working well as they should be.

Above a hotel's door knob would usually be an 'evacuation route'. Another thing I always read first.
Many folks take it for granted. It is something we may not use for a long time (sana), yet good to know anyway. FYI, at less reputable hotels lalo na sa atin, I even really check the actual fire exit - to be sure!

What if peke pala ang fire exit? Ay, marami nyan sa 'mainland' hahaha! Yun parang drawing lang! What if me mga nakaharang? What if putol na pala o bulok at unusable na? Paano sa oras ng takbuhan? Da!

Anyway... coffee or tea? This room also have them. There is a coffee corner called MINIBAR.
But/And, that's just it! No snacks, no chichirya or the likes in this minibar! Just coffee, tea and water!

At first I surprisedly wondered why! But when I opened this, I started to remember a hotel norm...
In some hotels (especially in Chinese places like HK, SG, etc.), they leave the minibar empty, if you are paying in cash, and do not wish to leave a deposit for such incidentals. Sigurista kumbaga. But, in this age of opportunist folks everywhere, mahirap na nga naman magtiwala! Lalo pag ang guests ay taga...!

Well, I'm proud to say, as per hotel industry insiders, we Pinoys aren't known for devouring the snacks of a minibar and not paying for them! Sino ang sikat? The righteous people from the top 2 economies!

Ay, madami silang mga kwento tungkol dyan! Yung iba daw, mga "Karen" galing dun sa kanluran. Yung iba naman daw, yung madalas nasa youtube na ultimong sa wedding reception me mga dalang supot!

Anyway, frontdesk did ask, if I wanted that minibar stocked during my stay. I said "no to temptation"!

Anyway again, behind the minibar/coffee corner is the closet, and cabinet for miscellaneous things.
There's a steam flat iron with matching measuring cup for the water to use (kasabid ano). The kabayo, a.k.a. ironing board (not in picture) is on the opposite side of the closet where you hang your clothes.

Well, the 'kaha de yero' (security vault) is erect. I mean it does not lie on it's back like at Hotel Indigo!

And now the banyo, CR, WC, bathroom, toilet, palikuran, paliguan whatever... that is "fully furnished"!
Compared to Hotel Indigo (as that's where I just came from), this Novotel has smaller CR dimensions - but I definitely prefer the color scheme here than at the former hehehe! This does not make me dizzy!

In terms of toiletries as amenities I cannot compare as both seem to be on the luxury side. They both use branded products, but stylized and customized for their respective high-end hotel chains' brands.

Both hotels use clear glass to 'wall' their shower cubicles, but opaque glass to enclose the toilet.
Oist, they even incidentally have identical 'rain effect' shower heads. Wala lang, just saying hehe! But, "toiletly speaking", Indigo is more complete. Yet, I prefer this one as I don't get dizzy due to tile colors.

Note that Novotel also has reminder cards for towel usage. If you don't read it, you won't know that it will only be changed if you don't hang it in the towel rack, which ironically, is its proper place. Ganun!

Let's repeat and highlight that: respectable hotels expect us to leave our towels on the floor, the sink or anywhere else except "its proper place", the towel rack. Why? Aw, it is just like in your house (kung mga normal kayong tao hehehe), ibabalik mo sa tamang sampayan si tuwalya, kung gagamitin mo pa.

Kasi... mamaya-maya roronda na ang ina mo, dadamputin ang mga kalat mo at umaatungal ng "itong mga batang ito, mga burara, di man lang mailagay ang mga gamit nila sa tamang lagayan" etcetera etcetera! Syempre ang towel na nasa sahig diretso na sa labadami nya! Ganun din ang housekeeping!

As with many hotels, extra towels like bath mat, plus the weighing scale are kept under the sink.
Ang ganda naman ng weighing scale na yan! Sa palagay ko, sa tingin ko, babagay yan sa banyo namin!
Hmm, paalala sa inyo dear readers, at sa akin na rin... hindi ini-uuwi ang mga yan, kahit kasya sa bag!

Hey, I like the simplicity of the toilet - there's nothing in there that makes you want to stay longer!
Trivia time! Have you ever wondered why most luxury hotels use "double toilet paper dispensers" like in the above photo? I asked experts about that some time ago, and, the answers were actually simple:

1] So that there's always enough toilet paper, especially if there're more than one occupant in a room; 2] Reduced housekeeping visits or guest calls just to replenish rolls of toilet paper; and I like this last reason, 3] Perception of luxury - para mukhang sosyal! There's actually a 4th reason but very high-end na ito, 4] Variety - one dispenser for the single ply and the other for the double ply toilet paper. Gosh!

Andito na rin lang tayo sa usapang ito, at ginaganahan ako... did you notice that extension phone line in the toilet? Reminiscent of the olden decades, right? Aww, especially for you my younger generation readers, in the past, almost all fine hotels, even in our dear inang bayan had them - "Landline sa CR"!

For you who don't anymore know about landlines, those units are usually called 'extensions'. Meaning extensions of the main phone that is beside the bed and/or on the desk. They're like twins or triplets. If you call that phone's number, all will ring. All, the main and extension phones can talk to the caller!

Conversely, when you use any of those units to call, someone else can go to the other extensions and listen-in or even 'barge' into that call! I'm sure you parents out there are now saying "sana me ganyan sa cellphone, so I can properly monitor my children" hahaha! Children, be thankful wala nang ganyan!

Naalala ko, that "extension" thing was very popular in homes of the 1960s, 70s, even 80s! Isa lang ang number, pero me unit sa sala, kusina, kwarto ni Itay at Inay, everywhere! At pag me tumawag, yayanig buong bahay sa dami ng talepanong nagri-ring! And when you "telebabad" with your uyab, nanay and or siblings would pester you from other extensions! So, ppunta ka nalang sa red public phone booth!

Hahahaay those were the olden days. Ayay, let's go back to the hotel's CR nga pala hehehe!

Were/Are those "landline sa CR" ever a requirement of the authorities? No. All over the world, not one government ever required them. But "landline sa CR" was a mark of luxury. Sosyalin ang hotel mo pag me ganyan! That's why, even in our present millenium, some new hotels like Novotel still install them!

Hey on a more serious note, some PWD advocacy groups are encouraging the use of such extensions at public toilets or even homes, to aid those who have disabilities or ailments, in cases of emergency.

Alright, one thing more about this room that I liked is... something they call Magic Glass. I said earlier (above) to watch out for that greenish/grayish glass wall (21st and 22nd photos from the top). It's this:
The glass wall separating the bathroom from the bed is made of Magic Glass, and first time I saw this!
What does it do? Ah, press that switch and the glass becomes opaque as you see in the picture above. Press again, and it becomes transparent. Meaning you can see the bed and the window, or if someone was there they could see you inside the bathroom! Aliw, pinaglaruan ko, first time eh. Mahal kaya yan?

Now, I know you will ask "what is that for", since that is what also came to my mind. Hmm, wala akong maisip other than "wala lang", as in pakulo, pasikat, kaartehan lang ng hotel. Walang basagan ng trip!

Well, for those of you I know with kinky intentions... that magic glass may just be useful hehehe! That would actually be good as walls or windows of not just homes but also offices. Gosh magkano ba yan?

I think I made a very short video clip of that. I'll put that here soon.

Anyway again, everytime I had nothing to do, I sat on the couch and watched airplanes come and go!
That's Runway 05R at right. Runway 05L is to the left (not in photo). And that is Taoyuan International Airport Terminal 2 at left edge of the pic! On foreground is Hangzhan Road, it goes under the taxiway!

Okay, let's go to the airport next. Then home to our dear Las Islas Filipinas!

Post a Comment

0 Comments