Out of Calubian, To Tacloban

Homeward bound to Tacloban. This was some 100km ride via Leyte Leyte, Capoocan etc., and it took us more than two hours, as there were random interesting things to see along the way, some of which also became "yosi breaks"! This was fun too, and equally full of learnings and realizations! Let's go!

First off, the sitting position of this man in golden basketball jersey was not a whim but a necessity!
He is a "third man" - meaning the second back-rider behind the driver. That means (as we can see) he sits at the very rear edge of the motorbike. However, there is that iron bar that supports the roof, and it gets in the way of his sitting properly! If he did so, that iron bar will be right on his crotch to beat eggs!

This was next. I was busy trying to take a shot of that barangay marker about to fall off the road..,
Brgy. F.E. Marcos, Calubian Leyte
I heard my driver ask "sir, kilala mo si Fe Marcos"? I knew this, so I said "wheh, that is F.E. Marcos as in Ferdinand Edralin Marcos"! But driver challenged me to ask any kid on what is the name of this place.

So I did. But the first person I saw was a man (probably in his 20s). Just the same, I asked him what's the name of this barangay. OMG, the reply was a casually pronounced "Fe Marcos". Funny but so true!

Who knows, after many years it could evolve into something else hehe!

This is that junction in the first picture of the previous story. I came from the right. From San Isidro.
Gutosan Junction, Calubian Leyte
This time though, while leaving Calubian, I was heading left to Tacloban that would be about 100kms. Note that you can also head right to Tacloban, but that would take about 150kms! It's a crucial choice!

Now here's the cute reality to this 'road distances' thing.., if you were going back to Ormoc, you might think that reversing the route that I just took to Calubian today would be the short and easy way.., that is technically wrong! From Calubian, back to San Isidro, onwards to Ormoc, would probably be 90kms. While via Leyte-Leyte (Lemon Junction) and Kananga, it's only about 70kms. Feels circuitous, but not!

Besides, aside from this being the shorter way to Tacloban or Ormoc, it's mostly panoramic!
panoramic view of Biliran Strait and Leyte Bay
That part of the sea is Biliran Strait narrowing up to Leyte Bay, until it ends at the Calaguise River. Aha, That name "Leyte Bay" is not in reference to the province nor the island, but, to the little town of Leyte.

Being the final effluence of a number of converging river systems, this bay is a fertile fishing ground!
fish pens on Leyte Bay
Oh I just remembered, I learned via a lengthy live lecture from a fisherman at Caramoan Islands many years ago, as to why those fish pens are shaped like an arrow if you look at them from above! That is to lead the fish unto an "apex of no return" where fish are trapped and easier to catch them from nets!

Anyway, back on land, I saw a number of those narrow but tall green buildings they call "outpost".
Brgy Nipa outpost Calubian Leyte
That one was at Brgy. Nipa, the southernmost barangay of Calubian in its boundary with Leyte-Leyte. I of course wondered why they have to be that narrow. Hmm, outpost.., meaning guard-house? Why so?

Just estimating, I think any side isn't even my "isang dipa". Or is it? If it is, then that would probably be about 6 feet on each side. But why? So that whoever is manning an 'outpost' cannot lie down to sleep or slumber? Why not? What are they guarding these places against anyway? Criminals or rebels? Weh, can they? How many 'tanods' are at these outposts any time of day? Are they combat trained? Aruuu?!

Anyway, walang basagan ng trip hehe! So be it! But are we not glad we travel to encounter these?!

Oh hoy, another important intersection, especially for those who like driving around..,
Palid I Junction (new road to Tabango) in Leyte, Leyte
This is what many folks call the "Palid I" Junction [note: it is pronounced "Palid Uno", but I guess "Palid One" won't hurt anyone hehe]. Palid I is a barangay of Leyte-Leyte. That means there is a Palid II [Dos]!

The significance of that Y-Intersection or Y-Junction is: you can now cross to Tabango by turning right on that corner! Not that it matters much if you are coming from Calubian proper since passing via San Isidro or via this junction are both 30kms to Tabango! But driving from Leyte-Leyte or Capoocan, it is a whooping half the distance and on a good road, than passing via the Kananga-Villaba-Tabango route!

Believe me, I passed there once. Good newly paved road and no PUVs yet. Mingaw lang, but fast!

The Calaguise Bridge on Brgy. Elizabeth Leyte-Leyte - where the sea meets the river..,
Calaguise Bridge, Leyte Leyte
But we were irked to be kept waiting as they transferred things from that bus at the back to the one in front. Sa dami ng lugar dito sa mundo, dyan pa sila sa loob ng tulay pumaparada. It was like they were taking their grand happy time in their own garage while transferring tools, chatting coaxing having fun!

I asked that man at right what was going on. He saw me taking pictures, he hastened them to move!
Calaguise Bridge, Leyte Leyte
Of course I was taking pictures.., I am Pinoy Traveler di ba? Hehehe, I think I overheard that man holler to them something like "ipapa-dyaryo kayo". Thus they wrapped things up and the second bus moved!

Ayan, bridge cleared of the illegal parker.., and we could see how long and beautiful a bridge this is!
Calaguise Bridge, Leyte Leyte
Okay, I'll let you in on a little secret. Around this area, I've been in touch with a number of farmers and fisherfolks. It's here-arounds that I saw an abundant harvest of big fat and succulent giant mud crabs!

There are even prawns and other things we call as "putok batok sa sarap"!

One of my favorite "thoroughfares" in Leyte-Leyte, somewhere in Brgy. Belen towards Lemon..,
ricefields Belen Leyte Leyte
Rice fields are gorgeous green when newly planted, turning yellow, then glorious gold at harvest time!

The busy Lemon Junction - newly paved with many vehicles darting fast in all directions!
Lemon Junction (interchange) Capoocan Leyte
Plus there is Andok's at left, other eateries and pasalubong stores everywhere. A "makabuang corner"!

Ah I have seen this road in every imaginable condition. Now, it has become "fast and dangerous"!
Why is that so? Well, the pavement is now so good, and this is a steep incline and a curve at that, with a school on the side! At least there's my driver's eternal joke "it should be SLOW UP, not SLOW DOWN"!

Ah there's that sign of the Japanese Shrine again, reminding me I have yet to visit. Soon, I say. Soon!
Japanese Shrine Breakneck Ridge, Capoocan Leyte
Everytime I pass by that signboard, I ask.., "how bloody was bloodiest? Am I even ready to know?" Ah!

Alright, let's make this fast. We dropped by some of those 'pasalubong stores' in Carigara...

I also had to say "hi hello" to a contact in Alang-alang, thus, I roamed a bit!

There were still many colorful things along the way, until we reached this famous landmark..,
afternoon view from the highway of Palo Cathedral
Yep, that is the Palo Cathedral.., but we had to rush (said the driver), turn left and arrive into Tacloban!

Let me declare.., that was a fantastic joyride!

Post a Comment

0 Comments