ADITLO: San Jose Tacloban Fishermen

Do you know ADITLO? Let me share with you what it means, as I will probably keep using it from now on. It is just my own abbreviation of the phrase "A Day In The Life Of". I needed to invent such a weird sounding abbreviation since blogger title lengths are either limited or don't look good when published.

Thus, the full and long title of this blog entry is supposed to be:"
A Day In The Life Of: The Fishermen of Barangay San Jose in Tacloban City, Leyte!

Let's do this..,

My flight just landed at the Tacloban Airport, and my driver automatically whisked me to Yolanda's for my usual fix of Tinola (fish) and Garlic-fried Shrimps! Long deserved - I've been away for a week hehe!

While waiting for the food to be ready, I sat at one of the huts of the restaurant, watched the generally calm sea and the goings-on of 'morning shift' fishermen. Uhuh, there are fishermen who go fishing at night (so, 'night shift')! There are others too who fish in the afternoon, so they are the 'afternoon shift'!
Baybay Beach, a fishing village in San Jose, Tacloban City


Actually and honestly, there is nothing much to tell you or 'call momma at home'. This was a very calm and uneventful morning. But that peace and quiet also sometimes become a topic, like am doing now!

At 8:57AM, there was just 'a mere handful' of humans that created movement on this beach, together with, and as if to complement the lapping of little waves, their sound a soothing melodic background.

I'll put a video clip here soon - that I think captured the laid back rural fishing village atmosphere..,
This beach bustles with action at 6AM, at noontime, and by sunset. But at 9AM, it's restfully tranquil!

This made me reflect, who would have thought that this calm and placid waters of San Pablo Bay, can and would suddenly destructively come rumbling as a deluge to claim the lives of hundreds of people.

That is what happened here when Yolanda devastated them. In fact, surviving residents, resilient as most Filipinos are, even started to (jokingly) call Brgy. 90 as the new Brgy 45. Why? Because half their population succumbed to Yolanda! But life must persist, in this peaceful fishing village of San Jose.

This mellow scene just reminded me that life is really a "wheel of fate".. "gulong ng palad", sometimes we are up, sometimes we are down, sometimes everything is chaos, other times it is calm and placid.

Like it is.., in this fishing village of San Jose, in Tacloban City.

Post a Comment

0 Comments