Met on my roams: Jom Bagulaya–Tacloban Councilor

I first saw him/her chillin out with friends at the now getting famous PoUKi in Tacloban. Yep, that interesting joint in the previous story. Sorry, I don’t know how he/she wants to be referred to, a her or a him! But let me call him Jom.

As he pops quite often into this place – which me and a friend consider a nice “go to” place to cap our evenings, I naturally got to speak and banter with Jom Bagulaya.


Some waiter told me Jom is a city councilor of the city of Tacloban. At first I did not want to believe that, as I know that many city/municipal councilors are either plain ugly with a stout body (male or female) and more of ‘hungry for attention’ or ‘feeling dios’ with a bevy of bodyguards and alalays. But this ‘sexy’ socializer, jolly but prim (not too loud nor too forward) does not at all look like our common stereotype of a “konsehal”.

So there was a chance we said “hi”, and I peppered him with a barrage of questions…

Are you really a konsehal? Opo.

How did you become so? I was a youth leader, an SK Chairman, so it came naturally.

Politics… politician? You can say that sir, (because he noticed I had some bit of sarcasm, he continued with) ..but having been with SK trained me on how to really serve my people.

Like how? I am a city councilor, and we at the city council deal with legislative matters. I participate actively in all deliberations, I look at every angle of any proposed topic, and I reflect on who will really benefit from them, how and when.

Alright folks... at this point of the lively conversation, medyo bilib na ako! I anticipated he would dazzle me with what projects he has already done (as do most politicians I meet). He did not! Because, I have this burning hatred for 'legislators' acting as 'project managers' - that's how I view senators, congressmen, provincial boards and municipal councils. View ko lang yan, not necessarily exactly correct, but I truly believe they should all be sitting at their chambers enacting laws instead of building highways, welcome arcs or basketball courts with their names engraved! This kid knows his mettle! Anyway...

Saan ka nag-elementary? Sa Leyte Progressive po [Leyte Progressive Highschool]

Intsik ka? No

You speak Chinese? Not anymore hihihi hahaha

Saan ka nag-highschool? LRDHS po [Leyte Reaserch & Development Highschool]

College? UP

And then I rested my case. My biases folks! This guy was graduated by the best university in the country. Need I ask more? So I said, let’s drink to that!

But as we enjoyed the already thumping crowd of mainly foreigners (we Pinoys are generally a minority at this joint during Fridays and Saturdays), I did get to ask more questions. Like:

You really wear female outfits during your sessions and ceremonies? Yes po. He said that without hesitation ha?!

Do they (fellow councilors) respect you? Yes po, I get my views across, they respect and consider my ideas, therefore, I can say, I have a voice equal to each of them in the council.

Because your mom was Vice-Governor? Probably po. But I have shown them I have something in my head and my heart to contribute to the progress of my city. I earned their respect, and of the entire city.

I literally clapped at hearing that! Pang Miss World ang sagot!

Who is sexier, you or Kring-kring (Christina Gonzales-Romualdez)? I received a combined smirk, rolling eyeballs and a smile with hand on his waist when he said Syempre ako!

Kaya nyo folks?!

He is not only active at the council on youth or LGBT topics, but (he says) he listens and takes part in every matter on the table.

AND, like many survivors in Tacloban, he has a very ugly Yolanda story, you would wonder why he is still alive! My hats off to this young intelligent politician!

Post a Comment

0 Comments