Mandaue Woman And Child

I was riding a jeep from Lacion (Consolacion, Cebu) to the city center (Cebu City). The jeep happened to have stopped (due to traffic) at this corner under the Maguikay flyover, and I saw this...


What initially drew my curiosity was that the Manang was selling jewelry and trinkets where her wares were laid out in what looked like what is supposed to be a grill (barbekyuhan ba). During the evenings,  there is supposed to be some folks on that very corner (and table?) grilling/selling barbecues.

I took a snap with my phone, and, OMG she saw me do that!
I really thought she would protest and reprimand me for doing so, and I was ready to delete the photo the moment she said anything. But... she instead said something for that cute little angel to face the camera as she waved showing off her necklace (what she sells).

And the kid obliged, showing me that ever sweet hearty smile...
Ahhh! I will find it very hard to forget that smile. Innocently sweet and real!

All I could do was bow (nod actually) to acknowledge their generosity.

This got me thinking...
Life is really hard on some people, but whatever may be your circumstance, feeling happy and jolly is a choice. In this case, Manang Vendor has chosen well. I hope someday, somehow, that kid will grow to great successes beyond what he and the Manang (her Nanay? or Lola?) have ever dreamed of. Until they grow out of selling things under a flyover at noon.

I melted the rest of the way... how life can be so difficult (at 1:56PM on a very hot February) - but that depends on anyone's point of view. And life grows out of that point of view. Manang looks happy, the little dear is happy, what am I so upset about?!

OMG the smile in that kid...



Post a Comment

0 Comments