Other Things Kaohsiung


There are many more places to see or do in Kaohsiung that I had in mind, but I just did not have time. There were also some places I went to or passed-by, but I didn't or couldn't take pictures or videos of. Yet there were also places and things that don't merit a full blog story, but worth keeping in my mind!

Foremost is the iPass Taiwan - not only for public transport, but now even for many other services.
I bought that at the airport upon arrival, and just kept loading it up at 7 Eleven. As of this visit, Taiwan doesn't (yet) have something like the Singapore STP, but iPass is still cheap and definitely convenient.

Oh, you may hear there is also EasyCard. It's the same thing, they're competitors, but for some reason, I usually get to see iPass first at the airport. Not sure, but I heard EasyCard is more popular. Whatever!

Nighttime Safeguarded Waiting Zones. I call them the "Blue Zones". They also have that in Kaohsiung!
I thought that was unique to Taipei. But it now looks to me like, these 'safeguarded' areas are all over Taiwan (since I saw them in the southernmost city, Kaohsiung). Something worth delving deeper into!

Why is that? Well, on one hand, the most obvious would be: how caring of the Taiwanese government that they even thought of such a 'service'. But on the other hand, if they arrived at such a "service" to the people, then it must be a serious concern affecting the general populace. Bad people around? Du!

Di ba? Ba't ka maglalagay ng kulambo kung wala naman lamok o 'di ka naman masyadong apekatado? Ibig sabihin, naisip nila maglagay ng ganyan dahil may mga masasamang loob na 'di lang pailan-ilan? Simba ko, kuyaw baya oi! Sabagay, I'm past that age of spending too late a night out for "good times"!

Not being an alarmist. Just curious and trying to analyze (so, angalyst)! But, that should be something to us tourists, right? Nothing wrong with interpreting the presence of those blue areas as "mag-ingat"!

More to my 'curiosity', I spent a few minutes discreetly observing what might be in/at the blue areas.
I noticed there are more CCTV cameras in the area than elsewhere. And more females wait in the area! Why discreetly? Ah, I thought they could suspect me of planning something not nice if they caught me 'investigating' the area hehe! But I would wish such things are out on the streets instead of in an MRT.

A very commendable gesture anyway.

In one of my walks too, I saw the Kaohsiung Arena - similar but a bit smaller to our Araneta Coliseum:
What did I do there? Wala, dumaan lang. I was on my way to that building beside it - the one at right!

It's this thing called Hanshin Arena Shopping Plaza - the most popular mall in Kaohsiung.
What did I do there? Wala rin, I just met up with some of my 'fans' hehehe! I actually wondered why it is also called "arena". Hesumalusep, it was named after Kaohsiung Arena naman pala. Magkatabi sila!

Oh, it should be "inggit much" for us Pinoys that bikes are allowed in their MRT Red and Orange Lines!
Look at that, those kids are comfortably seated, while their bikes are 'resting' on one side of the train.

Mind you, bikes are freely allowed any time the MRTs are operational. But, they do have rules on train decorum, and what kinds of bikes can be brought on to trains - only folding bikes and "general bikes".

How about the rented bikes, can you carry them on to the MRT? Ah, yan ang hindi ko naitanong!
I am thinking, if at all you're allowed to do so, you'll be suspected of trying to steal them! Kawatan ka!

Here's something related to a previous post - Exit 1 of the MRT Red Line Central Park Station R9.
As said in that previous story during my morning roam, that is entering Central Park from the MRT R9.

It's clearer and looks more attractive at night, right? Especially the water cascade in the middle.
Sosy ang arrive 'no? Eh sa'tin, kung papunta kang Luneta, ano'ng hitsura ng LRT Central Station natin?

Nakakainggit man, it's nice looking at what other places have. Who knows, baka bukas-makalawa, ang ating susunod na henerasyon eh maging mas magaling (na sana) sa atin, at maka-isip ng mga ganyan!

At ground level of Central Park, I went beside the road, to see things across it (where I was staying).
That slanted roof at right (behind the yellow taxi) is the MRT's Exit 2, where I emerged-from on arrival. Remember that story? The building at left is my hotel and the bright corner way in, is the firedancing.

Of course I wanted to view my hotel. I could even see my room from this vantage at the Central Park!
Saan dyan ang kuwarto ko? Ayun o! (yung pinaka-maliwanag - nasa tapat nung mataas na lamp post!

Sa MRT pa rin... I like this announcement. I don't really undertand much, pero parang "touching"!
Di ko alam, basta na-touch na lang ako doon sa "hope you can feel our service in all sincerity" heheh!

By the way, in one of my morning walks, I happened by a McDo branch, and thought about breakfast!
Yes of course, Sausage McMuffin Meal. They cost just about the same as in the Philippines. Example is that one, which was 107NTD. Multiply by 2 (the usual exchange rate) so mga 200++PHP. Presyong halos parang sa atin lang, di ba? Well, I'm not sure, but their hash browns seemed a little too big, pati kape!

I tried swapping the coffee for Coke, but it was not ready yet, Orange or Sprite lang daw. Ayaw!

Oh by the way too, look at the left edge of that photo above. That is not my cellphone! It's the hotel's free Handy, that guests can (should) bring around, while roaming the city for leisure or business. I do!

Speaking about food, I discovered there is also a nearby branch of another favorite, Yoshinoya!
Tastewise, just the same as at their branches in our country. Pricewise, mas mahal sa kanila, halos x2.

I noticed pala, wherever I buy Marlboro Lights, lahat made in Indonesia. Walang Made In Taiwan!
Oh, that left-side panel in the collage, it's a vendo machine of something I don't know. Sulat-insik kasi lahat eh! But looking at them, parang mga pagkain (pastries? dessert? kakanin?) na nakalagay sa box.

Isa pang 'by the way'... Kaohsiung, just like Taipei or Hongkong also has so many night markets. All the surrounding streets or alleys behind my hotel are incidentally one of those - parang Divisoria sa gabi!
I think this is the northern part of what they call the Shinkuchan Commercial District. Early mornings, everywhere is very quiet. You will seldom see any human beings. So, it is nice to bike around the area.

During the day except for the likes of 7-Eleven, Family Mart or McDo, only 1 or 2 shops and a beauty or nail salon may be open. Still a wonderful place to bike or stroll around. In the late afternoons to early evenings, literally everything starts sprouting alive! Eateries, butingting, tattoos, antiques, cellphones!

Sapatos, bra, kutsara, tiger balm, pamaypay, pampapayat supplements, bonnets, sabon, yung pusang kumakaway, jade, ginto, steering wheels, relo, shades, takoyaki ihaw-ihaw, hopia (yata), etc., etc., etc.!

If you want to take pics or vids, that's probably the right time. Because by 7 or 8PM onwards, my gash, a sea of humanity wherever you look. Parang Divisoria, ang nagtitinda at bumibili nasa gitna ng daan!

Naaaliw ako sa mga maniquin na nilalagay nila sa kalsada anlalaki ng suso - eh, halos lahat ng babae dito walang boobs! Ganun ang East Asians di ba? Pinagkaitan ng dibdib, parang naka-talikod hehehe!

Anyway.., I'm not good at wading in crowds and not interested shopping kahit "FYEO" lang.

So, my usual evening route was to the corner in front of my hotel. Like this one, a crowd has started:

To watch the fire dancers. Remember them? Eto eto... naka-pwesto na sila, naka-pwesto na rin ako!

They do have a following... and as the night goes deeper the crowd in this corner becomes thicker!

Oh here here, I took a video clip as they were ending their show in one of those nights!

They have been my nightly view bago matulog, in all the nights of my stay at Hotel Indigo. Pwede na!

Okay, tara tulog na tayo!

Post a Comment

0 Comments