Kaohsiung MRT Formosa Boulevard Station


This is just a train station, but a tourist spot too. This is also the only interchange station between the MRT Red Line (Station R10) and Orange Line (Station O5), thus, quite impossible to miss by us visitors.

This ceiling, called 'The Dome Of Light', is what makes this train station a must-see tourist attraction.

Touted as the largest dome glass-work in the whole world, it has a diameter of 30 meters, and made up of thousands of stained glass panels including glass rondels from Murano, Italy. Totally awesome!

The artwork was done by Narcissus Quagliata, a painter glass-artist poet and teacher from Rome Italy. He called this art installation The Dome of Light: Wind, Fire, and Time, executed by Derix Glasstudios.

Easy to get distracted and forget that this is a fully functioning train interchange station with 11 exits!

Who wouldn't be distracted in awe with that ceiling. And there's some piano playing at times!
Well, a staff told me that the musician just went on break and would be back soon. She told me, I can meanwhile play on that piano if I wanted to. Nge! Ano naman tutugtugain ko? 3 1 2 3 3 5 4 3? Virtuoso!

Ah, true to its being a tourist attraction, I could see many passengers or passers-by taking pictures or videos of that ceiling. The same staff also told me, sometimes there are even wedding pictorials here!

Ayoko nang mangarap, pero "sana all"! Pwede ba North Avenue or Cubao Stations natin ganyan din?!

Oh, that staff who told me about the piano and wedding pictorial things, she said "you Japanese? the four entrance glass art, not Italian, made by Japanese architect". Da! All I could do was smile and nod!

But I had no time to go back out and see those. I was on my way to somewhere far. Maybe tomorrow.

Post a Comment

0 Comments