San Jose War Memorial

Did you know there is such a thing? I didn’t!

Earlier, done with my early morning walk beyond the airport and already riding a tricycle back to Sikatuna Beach Hotel, I saw this place that looked like some kind of a… well… memorial. But I did not really know what it was and the trike was speeding past it. I even really thought it was some kind of a memorial park, but I did not see tombs nor any indication that there were in the surroundings.

So, at the public market, after my second beach walk, I decided to return to it. Actually, when I hailed a trike, I just said I was bound for Sikatuna Beach Resort. But while on board, I told the driver I would instead get off onwards at that monument beyond the San Jose Airport – which he readily understood and agreed after some hesitation (it’s a bit far).

In fact, I myself was wondering why on earth did San Jose build this memorial far away from human civilization hehehe! It’s located in a fine lovely place across the road from the beach but where there are no nearby residences or even other structures. Nearest are just the beach huts, which, is still a walk away. Maybe the very spot is itself historic.

Here’s the most prominent view from the road…
Di ba parang entrance ng Manila Memorial or Loyola?! But this is just it. No gates!

This obelisk is the centerpiece. I went near to read the inscriptions… nose bleed!
World War II memorial obelisk at San Jose Occidental Mindoro
Why? Because everything is written in pure Pilipino with no English translations.

Am not trying to be conyo or sociel or maarte, but if you have spent life as a working class for a quarter of a century since college graduation, you know that balarila-like pangungusap is such a pain hehe.

Read this…
hostorical marker of MacArthur's war activities in Mindoro all written in Pilipino Language on the war memorial obelisk in San Jose Occidental Mindoro
Tell me, what is “NILAPA”? Di ba that means kinain, nginatngat, sinibad, nilamon? Hahaha! Okay, I know you know I’m joking. That was meant to be written as NILAPA-GAN or NILAPAGAN, right?!

But I still wonder why no English text as is common. How will foreigners understand this memorial?

Anyway...

Nice mural…
one of a number of life-sized murals at the WW2 memorial in San Jose Occidental Mindoro
The inscription (description) makes it even more meaningful. Nose bleed nga lang!

Here it is (enlarged)…
description of the mural written in Filipino at the WW2 memorial in San Jose Occidental Mindoro
Let me translate… 'The rise of San Jose from the ashes of war. The construction of a hospital, schools and a library from the Quonset left by the Americans, installation of electric power, construction of a civil (public?) airport, seaport, roads, bridges and other infrastructure'. I hope I translated good enough!

Whew! I still say nose-bleed, because we seldom write, talk or read this “deep” in our very own national language these days, right? This is a sample of where Tagalog and the real Pilipino Language greatly differs! Paliparang Sibil ka dyan eh Airport, Runway or even Airfield is easier to fathom, even for grade school pupils, right?! At least, here is one place that reminds us not to forget our ‘sariling wika’. Haiszt!

Am sure many of you are probably saying “gosh”, “grabeh”, “OMG”, “asteeeg”, “wheh”, “argh”, or “what daw?” hahaha! I imagine my dear friend Harry (a true blue isko/a alumni) would probably be saying “haggaaard”! But come to think of it, this thing is written in OUR national language and I (and you) shudder hehehe!

Note to Ernesto Kalbo… hindi bayag yang nasa gitna… umbok lang! Babae yan ‘no?!

I also liked this one… the 3D effect (upper left) is very prominent!
another mural at the WW2 memorial in San Jose Occidental Mindoro
Oh, this is a longer one...

So am posting here an enlarged view of the written text...
It's saying something like '3 naval forces groups of the US arrived in 15December1944, 1) Mindoro Attack Group of Rear Admiral Arthur D. Siruble, 2) Close Covering Group of Rear Admiral Count Berkley, and 3) Motor Torpedo Boat of Lieutenant Admiral N. Burt Davis. At 7:10AM the warships released warning shots. At 7:30AM the (named groups) attacked. This was led by Brig. Gen. William C. Dunckel. They attacked Caminawit, San Agustin and Adela'. Hah!


Here’s another mural depicting another great historic event in the area...
another mural at the world war 2 memorial at San Jose Occidental Mindoro
Yeah, I giggled at the depiction of how Sgt. Cabado holds that pistol!


This one depicts the Filipinos joining the guerilla movement...
another mural at the world war 2 memorial at San Jose Occidental Mindoro
Led by an ex-canteen manager! Oh ha?! Brave F&B dude hehe!

Also tells me these murals were made by a Severo “Bebot” Ro_____, in 2009! It says so on that lower-right structure where the soldier is seated. But I couldn't fully read the surname.

Anyway… just to complete the story of this history… I called up a friend who is a real history buff to ask about this place. She did not know about this memorial, but she told me a lot about what happened here during the war!

Like? Like this place was supposed to be the 2nd “I Shall Return” place in the country. Yep, Mac Arthur had planned and successfully implemented the capture of Mindoro from Japanese soldiers which paved the way to making an airfield with close proximity to the main island of Luzon which was the final target. This was in close coordination with the Lingayen Gulf operations to finally flush out the Japanese Army to eventual surrender.

Now I know the significance of this little island (and San Jose) during the war.

I love my travels!


Post a Comment

0 Comments