Ormoc Church

Let’s continue my notes while oscillating around Ormoc. I arrived noontime in this city and could only practically leave for Pilar (Camotes Islands) the next day. So, I had to make use of the whole afternoon up till nightfall roaming around. A good but unintended chance to see more of this city! And I have no regrets I did. Next up that I stumbled upon was the church. Nice one.

Looking big on the outside, but not really so on the inside. Just like many other churches I have seen in this country. There are only two columns of pews, so that means this church is not that wide like the others that have so many. But this is a long one. Yeah yeah, if you were the priest, people at the back would already be hard to identify. Well, again, just like most churches. But I think the fashion in those times was making churches so tall and grand instead of wide and practical.

The cute irony… of the people I saw inside this church, only two were females! You see that old man? He was deep into prayers. There is another man somewhere up and a little bit front also deep in prayer while that girl (right edge) in the same picture was busier talking than anything! Oh ha?! Who said anyway that women are more prayerful than men? Well, if this encounter will be my basis, I can dare say, not in Ormoc hehe!

I sat a while in that last pew and started tinkering my Omnia to check what might be any interesting fact about this church. Well well well baho ka’g tiil, I found out that… this has been a church as early as the 1500s. Most interesting (I think) is an info that says this church was bombed by the Americans during world war 2 probably thinking it was a Japanese hospital! Golly! And here’s another, “On the morning of May 19, 1768, after 187 years, Jesuit missionary work in the Philippine Islands was finished”. Hmm, I did not even know that hehe. And that story goes on to tell that the Jesuits from Ormoc were the first to go from Leyte! Nice history there.

Nice fairly new church too! Sts. Peter and Paul Parish.

 

 

ISSN: 2512540.625-1444

Post a Comment

0 Comments